PDA

View Full Version : Node editor: one bump texture over many surfaces

rdolishny
10-26-2012, 09:08 AM
How can I add one texture, in this case a bump texture, to multiple surfaces?

I'm new to the Node Editor and it looks like I can only add textures to one surface at a time...

Skonk
10-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Yeh you can only add them to one at a time (unless you use some third party node plugins) but you can setup your bump node and then copy/paste that node onto the other surfaces (and then connect it up).

nickdigital
10-26-2012, 09:36 AM
TrueArt's GlobalMaterials will help if you do this a lot.
http://trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/GlobalMaterials

jwiede
10-26-2012, 10:54 AM
TrueArt's GlobalMaterials will help if you do this a lot.
http://trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/GlobalMaterials
If you're going to purchase GlobalMaterials, also consider purchasing TrueGroup while there, makes it much easier to deal with recurring complex networks by loading/saving as a reusable "group". If GlobalMaterials helps your workflow, you'll almost certainly benefit from TrueGroup as well.

dwburman
10-26-2012, 12:19 PM
The free Pom's Nodes set has a Get / Store set of nodes where you can plug something into the store node and access it in another place with a get node. With that you could set up one store node with the bump you want and then use get nodes on all the other surfaces, so you'd only have to edit the first node set up to change all the other bumps. I haven't actually tried using it yet, and it looks like it hasn't been updated since 2008.
http://www.db-w.com/download/viewcategory/19-free-hosted-lightwave-plugins

It's free, but would probably be more work than using the true art plugins.

jwiede
10-27-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm actually a bit surprised that Newtek hasn't yet implemented native versions of TrueGroup, GlobalMaterials, or Pom's Get/Store nodes. None of them would be particularly difficult to implement as native given access to the nodal infrastructure -- I'm not suggesting that implementing as plugins was trivial, it likely wasn't, but implementing similar functionality at the nodal infrastructure level should be easier or at least more "direct" than as plugins (for their specific functions). Thankfully, until native versions exist, we do have the plugin-based versions.

cyroz
10-29-2012, 12:43 AM
+1 for implementation of group / store nodes, would love to have a paste instance node function also, so when you edit it other iterrations get modified...

cyroz
10-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Double post

kfinla
11-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Yes The Global materials are a great idea... they are what make Modo both a pain at times to deal with large scenes, but also great to do look dev and prototyping with because the changes can be done globally, and do not need to be applied 30 times.

jasonwestmas
11-10-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm actually a bit surprised that Newtek hasn't yet implemented native versions of TrueGroup, GlobalMaterials, or Pom's Get/Store nodes. None of them would be particularly difficult to implement as native given access to the nodal infrastructure -- I'm not suggesting that implementing as plugins was trivial, it likely wasn't, but implementing similar functionality at the nodal infrastructure level should be easier or at least more "direct" than as plugins (for their specific functions). Thankfully, until native versions exist, we do have the plugin-based versions.

You're really going there? I could make a huge laundry list for why NT is just doing the same old thing of just adding new stuff and not improving the old. lol :-/