PDA

View Full Version : Instancing Question - Why instancing a parent doesn't instance children?

Bax33
10-26-2012, 07:20 AM
Just wondering if this is how instancing is supposed to work or if I'm doing something wrong. I have an object (we'll call Object A) made up of 10 layers and layers 2 through 10 are parented to layer 1. I added a separate object to the scene, a simple ground plane and added instancing to it. I set my instance generator on the ground plane to Layer 1 of Object A, which is the parent for all other layers in that object but only layer 1 shows instanced, none of the children are instanced. I kind of would have thought this to be automatic. Do I have to instance every child too? The only work around I can think of is to make a second copy of Object A with all geometry on one layer to use for instancing. However, this would eliminate any chance of animating an instance which I also thought to be possible, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Please feel free to educate me on this.

Oh, by the way, I know I can add each layer to the same instance, but the problem I haven't been able to overcome in doing this is that each layer needs different alignment numbers.

Thanks

Netvudu
10-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Actually, you are missing an essential step. Go to the Instance Generator panel and click the icon just next to the name of the instanced object. Voila!: instanced childs :)

Bax33
10-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Excellent!! That worked like a charm, thank you. I'm going to piggy back on this and ask one more instancing question. Can you instance an instance?

Here is what I mean. Lets say I have an object with 3 layers, Layer 1 - Building, Layer 2 - Sidewalk, and Layer 3 - Ground plane (Yard). During the set up of this original object in layout, I instance a grass object on Layer 3 (Yard). So now my original object has a Building (parent), and two children (Sidewalk and Yard with instanced grass). Now I want to make several instances of the parent object using the technique you provided above, but in doing so the grass is no longer instanced on the new building instances. I can figure out a work around to this, but I was wondering if there is something else I'm missing that allows this to take place automatically.

Thanks again for the solution above.

cagey5
10-26-2012, 01:44 PM
I suspect this will arrive in 11.5, but for now the answer is no. The good news is that the talented Dpont already supplies a soluion for this, but you need to install his instancing plugin [free], which uses the native instancing to better effect in many cases.

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/DP_Instance.html

There are TWO versions. DPInstance which Denis released before LW had an instancer and the later DPInstancer which uses the LW native instancer with his methodology.

I use pretty much the Instancer version solely these days.