PDA

View Full Version : Will LiveText 2.1 and DataLink work in Windows 8?

Spacebacon
10-25-2012, 08:34 PM
We're getting a new PC. Will we be able to run LiveText with a Daktronics CG AllSport in Windows 8?

Spacebacon
10-26-2012, 12:13 PM
We're getting a new PC. Will we be able to run LiveText with a Daktronics CG AllSport in Windows 8?

Customer Service says they have not tested LiveText with Windows 8 yet, so I guess that answers that question.

PIZAZZ
10-26-2012, 07:18 PM

I have done a little testing on my MacBookPro and parallels running Windows 8. Livetext did work and show up on the Tricaster. The biggest issue I had was the crazy retina resolution. I fell back to Win 7 but had the same res issues. I am going to try and fix Parallels to a external 1080p monitor tomorrow and see what happens.

Short answer Yes it works.

But I would run it on Win7 if you don't want to fight unknown issues.

Spacebacon
10-26-2012, 07:26 PM
We bought a Windows 7 PC at a discount. I'll hold off on the Windows 8 upgrade until it is known to work 100%.

akscooter
10-29-2012, 09:37 AM
I purchased a new system thinking I could upgrade it to Windows 7. The only thing I can't get to work is the NIC. HP currently only has Win8 drivers.

I think LT is erroring out at the point where it tries to change the windows theme. And since I've been reading that MS isn't calling it Aero anymore (or changed the process names) then LT can't find the current visual settings.

I've tried changing the system to "Best Performance" which disables all the cool "window dragging" options. We'll see if that works when I get home tonight.

I've had absolutely zero luck trying to get LT to run in a virtual machine, I've tried Hypver-V, VMWare, VirtualBox, and even Parallels. And finding a laptop today that has high enough graphics resolution is tough. I think NewTek needs to think about formating for 16:9 in a near future release.

PIZAZZ
10-29-2012, 07:50 PM
I've had absolutely zero luck trying to get LT to run in a virtual machine, I've tried Hypver-V, VMWare, VirtualBox, and even Parallels. And finding a laptop today that has high enough graphics resolution is tough.

I have the opposite problem. This retina display has too high a resolution I think and Parallels / LiveText tend to be a bit freaky.
Today I tried running LiveText with Parallels locked to an external 1920x1080 screen. Seemed to work a little better but didn't take it live just yet.
More testing tomorrow.

vvfilms
11-12-2012, 10:29 AM
I have livetext 2.1 and it will not work on Windows 8. Every program I own that I had on Windows 7 went over to windows 8 with no issues. I bought a Toshiba a few weeks back for the livetext program that had windows 7 on it, but the resolution was not enough (1396x768 as opposed to 1280x800). After Hurricane Sandy when the stores reopened, I returned the laptop to get another one. All they sell now is Windows 8. So now I have the resolution aspect taken care of on an HP laptop but can't get the program to run on windows 8. When I try to run it a screen comes up that says "livetext.exe has stopped working". Anything being done about this issue. Is there an update or download that will allow it to run on windows 8. Down for the count right now.

Joe Valenti
Valenti Vision Films
www.valentivisionfilms.com

SBowie
11-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Is your new system Intel or AMD based?

vvfilms
11-12-2012, 10:54 AM
HP AMD A8-4500 APU with Radeon Graphics HD Graphics, 4Gogs ram 64 bit system windows 8
My last computer that livetext worked on was also an amd processor, Toshiba satellite laptop with 3 gigs of ram running vista. Thanks for the quick response Steve. The laptop I just returned was a Toshiba satellite amd with 4 gigs of ram. The program stared up but then I ran into the screen resolution issue. That was running windows 7. Just can't get all the chips to fall in the right place.

Joe Valenti
Valenti Vision Films

SBowie
11-12-2012, 11:00 AM
You should contact CS, Joe. There's a known issue with LT and some (apparently not all) AMD chipsets; CS should be able to supply you with a workaround pending a new build of LT.

vvfilms
11-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks, I did contact CS before, I think the first issue is the windows 8 issue. They said they haven't addressed the windows 8 compatibility yet and said they would bring it up in their next meeting. But maybe it is an amd issue and not windows 8. do you know of anyone yet successfully running livetext on a windows 8 computer?

vvfilms
11-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Steve,
CS just sent me the workaround for the amd issue and livetext opened up on windows 8 successfully! I'm going to hook it up to the tricaster 40 today and test its full functionality. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll let you and everyone know how livetext 2.1 works in windows 8.

Joe Valenti
Valenti Vision Films

SBowie
11-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Yay. :)

I have also raised the matter of Win 8 testing, please do report back if things don't go as expected.

vvfilms
11-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Hey all,
Just wanted to let everyone know I successfully used livetext 2.1 on an AMD windows 8 laptop this weekend. Everything worked very well with no hiccups. We even used the scoreboard plug in from Kris Gurrad.

Joe Valenti
Valenti Vision Films

chrislundie
01-08-2013, 08:23 PM
I have tested the lastest release of LT on my windows 8 laptop and it works great! I had problems then downloaded version 2.12 and all is well with the world again.

ttromp
07-20-2013, 11:12 PM
Does LiveText 2.12 work on a MacBookPro running Windows 8 in Parallels with Bootcamp? I noticed that it used to work from posts in this thread, but was not able to get it to work in Parallels and customer support indicated that it didn't. I was able to run it native in Bootcamp, but had to turn off Large fonts. If anyone has it running in Parallels successfully, could you let me know what configuration you are using? Thanks.

PIZAZZ
07-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Never was able to get the perfect mix of parallels and win7/8 to work 100%.

Using Bootcamp it works fine. Actually really good in fact.

ttromp
08-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Thank you....that's what I'm finding out. There might be a Parallels Video display setting that could work but I can't figure it out.

PIZAZZ
08-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Well here is some good news to share. This past week while doing a week long sports broadcast. I was able to make LiveText work perfectly once I updated my macbook's Parallels to version 8. I will have to look closer and double check the hardware settings and then repost them here.

Worked well in Full Screen mode and also in windowed mode. Since we use some custom programmed Xkeys to do the CG scoring input, we figured out that we had to have the Windows VM in focus when in Full mode. After a little more fiddling we figured out that after you assign the Xkeys to the USB input on the Virtual Machine, you can run the CG windowed and even with other windows over the top of it. That turned out to be really handy.

Just to give you an idea of the setup we were using:
MacBookPro Retina
Ran Skype for contact with our master Control
Ran VCOM for our coms to the cam crew
Ran Wirecast outputting 6 streams to different destinations totalling right about 4megs of output
Ran Chrome controlling the server records and matching the server monitor
Ran FireFox doing QC on the streams
Ran Parallels Virtual Machine with LiveText 2.12 and IE controlling a PTZ camera

So I guess you could say we kind of pushed it but it worked flawlessly.

On a side note... the reason I had to make this work under Parallels is because the Microsoft Surface we had running LiveText on win8 decided to take a dive. Still working on figuring out that.