PDA

View Full Version : Which Game Engine for forkllift simulation?

StereoMike
10-31-2003, 05:19 AM
I read the thread about interavtive content and which apps are preferred. But i think swf and pulse can't handle a fullscreen simulation with analog input in realtime...??

Next year I wil have to build some enviroment for simulating the use of a forklift truck (using something like a joystick) in realtime and nice to look at.

So i cannot go for ultra-low poly, must look like the real one, not like lego.
I recently finished some animations for the release-show of this truck (i modeled it by using blueprints), so this is, what it looks like.
http://www.plasmata.com/onethread/misc/nrg_back.jpg
http://www.plasmata.com/onethread/misc/nrg_cockpit.jpg
I thought of the serious sam engine, because the game was done in lightwave and there are many tools out there to make it easier.

Any other guesses? Experiences? Obstacles?

Thanks
Michael

BNA!
10-31-2003, 06:05 AM
Take the Doom3 engine.

Not only does it support native .lwo files, but it also features a highly flexible scripting language, an excellent lighting system and without any doubt the highest quality surface rendering available in game engines.

Since you need to keep a high polycount you can can "bake" lot's of geometric detail into normal maps to maintain an incredibly high poly look while displaying only relatively low poly objects.

Visual proof:

http://www.doom3world.org/index.php?milkme=list_gallery&gallcat_id=1

StereoMike
11-02-2003, 08:04 PM
@BNA!: Do you have experience in scripting for doom3?

there are a few other solutions on the market like eon studio for interactive content, and before i make a decision i want to know more about the competing solutions.

another point is, that ssam is 6 years old, you got the full game as give-away in game-mags for a few bucks. so i hope they won't demand my soul if i ask them to use their engine.

Does anyone know, what efforts it makes to get the allowance to use a game engine for a semi-public purpose?
it'll be used to show people, how the whole truck works.

hm, have to look around for some time and keep asking people :)

pnelson
11-02-2003, 08:44 PM
StereoMike,

There are many game engines to choose from The Doom3, Quake3, Serious Sam and Unreal Engine all have native LightWave support.

I'm not an expert on the pricing for each of these engines, but I can assure you that the Serious Sam engine will be the most economical!!

You may also contact the guys at Croteam to see if they have anything newer in the pipeline!

Fortunately, you can create mods for most of the popular engines to see which one works best for your application before purchasing.

I guess that budget will be the biggest factor!

Let me know if you have any additional questions.. I was the Director of Worldwide Sales for NewTek before joining Glowco and have worked with most of the LightWave friendly game companies..

See ya,

pnelson
11-02-2003, 08:47 PM
One other idea for your simulation.. If it's for a trade show, It would be cool to take the actual controls from the forklift and mod them to control a game input device...

Let people try the virtaul forklift at the show!

See Ya,

StereoMike
11-02-2003, 09:15 PM
That was exactly the idea :)

I'll pm you.

thanks

Lightwolf
11-03-2003, 02:40 AM
Hi StereoMike,
I hope you have some coding and game engine experience, otherwise the route your aiming for will be rather painful.
Have you had a look and Anark Studio, or even Director and Shockwave 3D?

Cheers,
Mike

StereoMike
11-03-2003, 05:20 AM
Hi Mike,

i have lots of time, i think more than three quarters of a year. Sure, will be painful, and i even don't know, if i ll get all what i want out of the possible solutions...but that's why i'm gathering information on this topic.

In the end i'll want to come up with a fullscreen simulation shown on a beamer, so i'm afraid of a lagging and for my purposes overheaded solution (and everything than a game engine is more than i need).

i was rather into vrml and the big disadvantage was the lack of reliability in terms of fps... it lags and stumbles even when you go for lowpoly, so maybe i'm a bit struck by this experience.

Shockwave and Lightwave is REAL pain. but i didn't see anark, so i'll have a look.

The crux on this project is the engine, i'll have objects and textures done/ adapted within a few weeks. it's only a matter of the engine.

Thanks,
Michael

BNA!
11-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by StereoMike
@BNA!: Do you have experience in scripting for doom3?

Well, as much as possible.

Mind you that the game isn't out yet, but an early build got leaked a year ago.