PDA

View Full Version : What LightWave Feature Tutorials Would You Like To See More Of?

robpowers3d
10-23-2012, 04:08 PM
We have been adding new LightWave video tutorials at https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/ but we want to hear which LightWave features you would like to see us focus more tutorials on? Please elaborate in this thread with details on what you would like to see. Thanks!

We also have our videos on our OfficialLightwave3d Youtube channel as well:

http://www.youtube.com/user/officiallightwave3d?feature=results_main

wesleycorgi
10-23-2012, 04:14 PM
I like the ones where you show how LW works well with other software (like the Poser, GoZ, Unity, etc.). So when available, an After Effects with LW 11.5 would be great. Also 3D-Coat and any of the 3rd party plugs on the LW3D site would be good, too.

Eagle66
10-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Hmm, more advanced stuff: LW in the VFX Pipline - perhaps Crowds of zombies, LW CG in real Environment :)
https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/the-engrossing-effects-of-the-walking-dead/

4-5 hour, DVD or Download: Lightwave 11 VFX MasterClass for $59 in the NT Shop.

Yes, it's a wish :hey:

robpowers3d
10-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Great! Thanks for your suggestions. Keep them coming.

Hmm, more advanced stuff: LW in the VFX Pipline - perhaps Crowds of zombies, LW CG in real Environment :)
https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/the-engrossing-effects-of-the-walking-dead/

nickdigital
10-23-2012, 04:40 PM
I voted for modeling (cars) as seeing what Lewis does is humbling. Unity since I see great potential there. Power user tips as there's a lot of workflow stuff one would never know without going through the grind of production. Motion graphics as it'll probably expose a lot of node info which I'm still a noob at.

AbstractTech3D
10-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Motion graphics - should include considerable tuts on working (and workflows) with text, me thinks.

COBRASoft
10-23-2012, 05:19 PM
DPont stuff, 'nuff said :)

realgray
10-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Motion graphics - should include considerable tuts on working (and workflows) with text, me thinks.

I would like this as well. Especially after an updated text tool (hopefully someday). Mograph work is pretty prevalent no matter where you are working nowadays. VFX stuff as well considering there's such a blending going on between Mograph and VFX.

netstile123
10-23-2012, 05:37 PM
I would like to see how to map an object for coloring or texture. I think there was going to be some improvements on this on lightwave 11.5 so would like to see these. I can not afford a paint program at this time so I am going to have to teach myself how this works. There needs to be some cloth Tutorials, multiple lights on an object and would like to see more lights than can show up in gl than the standard right now. Motion graphics short cuts and tips would be great as I have seen on here. There has to be some on instances (Around an object) and Plaining such as grass. And if one could add a wind effect to the grass or dynamic to an instanced covered object.

phillydee
10-23-2012, 05:46 PM
haaa... so far there's only one vote for VST tutes and that would be my vote... lol. So I voted for some of the other ones too, but wanted to toss my 2 cents in:

I was thinking more along the lines of how to correctly take HID input data and use that in a useful, LW-ready way. I did some experiments with a gamepad but I'm sure there's a lot more beneath the surface. I have a producer friend who loves puppeteering and he was fascinated with where this could go, specifically by using HID/MIDI controllers to actuate a virtual puppet (a la Jim Henson style).

BTW it would be cool if Virtual Studio Tools accepts MIDI input as another input device type--not sure if that's possible but that'd be cool.

raw-m
10-24-2012, 02:06 AM
Another one for motion graphics please - DP Kit, more on spline/deformers/motion item type stuff.

kopperdrake
10-24-2012, 03:01 AM
For me, in order of preference:

1) Integration of LW into an After Effects pipeline - render pass management etc.
2) Nodal surfacing
3) Character Rigging (currently use Maestro)
4) Fibre FX

In testament to the quality of the more recent integrated features, I feel I need no tutorials on Instancing, Bullet or Flocking - they are easy enough to sit and fiddle with to get the basics right quite quickly.

djwaterman
10-24-2012, 03:37 AM
I've been using LW for years and still don't know what most of the tabs in the graph editor and scene editor do, an overview of all that would be insightful. Of course the node editor remains a mystery for many but there's a few videos out there for that. A clear overview of what exactly the FBX interchange is capable of, there seems to be the assumption we all know that already.

vncnt
10-24-2012, 03:48 AM
Most videos cover the basics.

Videos are more useful to me if they cover intended use, variations, known limitations and workflow issues.

geo_n
10-24-2012, 03:58 AM
FBX Interchange Tools and Unity Game Engine Interchange because there is no standard way of doing this that is well documented and these two are related to mocap and interchange with other software that is the weakest part of lightwave. Other categories like modelling, vfx, are already well represented from third party and old tutorials imho.

alexs3d
10-24-2012, 03:59 AM
the nightscene image in the latest newsletter is awesome, would be cool to have some tutorials like "how to make this image" or an "making of" .

for this image i think instancing was used a lot, with distribution maps for trees... (weightmaps, painted maps ...) and maybe some trees modeling with the dpont tools and nightscene lighting and rendering, this three topics would be cool to be covered in an tutorial :)

https://www.lightwave3d.com/static/media/uploads/gallery_images/architecture/sebastian_smolak-settlement_at_night.jpg

oranjer
10-24-2012, 04:16 AM
I vote for rigging , texturing & lighting Tut.

erikals
10-24-2012, 04:30 AM

like it...

fablefox
10-24-2012, 05:04 AM
Hard core, end to end, full coverage of each topic, using Lightwave, for free, would be nice. Just like Modo video tutorials, except for free (you already made profit via software anyway). Besides, at this point of time, beggars are not choosers anyway. You need to counter the amount of tutorials available for other app (and some of these are free, yes, there are hour or an hour and half videos on youtube regarding other apps).

fablefox
10-24-2012, 05:07 AM
Or maybe Ligthwave group can be in talk with other training provider and try to "liberate" older tutorial (like for version 10) and make it available from LW3D for free. Not all, but those that is uselful and interesting ones.

Other than that, Genoma, since its pretty new.

erikals
10-24-2012, 05:07 AM
some could be free, some could be paid.
quality talks, so the paid ones would have to be worth it...

dee
10-24-2012, 06:16 AM
I'd like to see more complete tuts which cover modeling, surfacing, animating, rendering and export to compositing app. Recreate a shot or a short clip, something that can be done in an hour or so. Doesn't have to be super beautiful but shows the workflow.

Lewis
10-24-2012, 07:48 AM
- Modeling from start to finish some industrial design shapes (let's say Bosch Drilling machine or such complicated stuff)
- Or like how to drill holes in SubDs without destroying reflections of chromed surface
- Glass Nodal surfacing (I'm interested to see many different glass materials, I want to see sanded glass, brushed glass, clear glass, colored glass all with nodes.....)
- Motion VFX stuff with connection to AE.
- Tips and tricks How to use interpolated radiosity with moving objects and changing light conditions (intensity) without splotches/leaks (Brute force MC works but painfully slow and grainy for animations)
- Baking Lighting to scene so it can be rendered faster with lot of lights

sandman300
10-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Combined use of effects: Instancing + FFX + Bullet + Flocking + hypervoxles. plus other combinations with tools that Lightwave has or will have.

Eagle66
10-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Hm wondering, i don't want to push the LW Visual Effects Workflows Tutorial :D - but LW modeling, Character Rigging and all other "Stand alone" Tutorials like DP Kit, surfacing, animating are in tons on the www, YT-Channels, simplylightwave.com or other pages....

Efficient LW workflow in a realistic Film Production pipeline (Tracking, Rendering, Composite) is poor since Years!
Its not the goal to render a box in Real World Image: concepts of handling big Scenes and the knowledge how to arrange, setup and optimizes rendering LW 3d Elements for a complex realistic Environment.

NO Schools teaches Lightwave in a VFX pipeline as 3D Software always Maya, C4D, 3DSMax, XSI and V-Ray or Mental Ray.

IMHO the next challenge for LW Tutorials is getting more practical, accurate and timesaving Workflow - not single LW-tools.

Netvudu
10-24-2012, 10:14 AM
NO Schools teaches Lightwave in a VFX pipeline as 3D Software always Maya, C4D, 3DSMax, XSI and V-Ray or Mental Ray.

IMHO the next challenge for LW Tutorials is getting more practical, accurate and timesaving Workflow - not single LW-tools.

I beg your pardon???!!! :eek:
Maybe you should get your facts straight before trying to hurt other people´s jobs.

http://www.fxanimation.es/

your previous statement tells us two things: firstly, that you boldly post things without taking any time to verify whether they are true or not.
Secondly, that you don´t read Newtek´s magazine, where we were recently spotlighted with a very nice article.

Ryan Roye
10-24-2012, 10:24 AM
- Baking Lighting to scene so it can be rendered faster with lot of lights

+1 to this, I *sorta* know how to bake lights, but there has to be a more efficient and user-friendly approach to it.

Lewis
10-24-2012, 10:28 AM
+1 to this, I *sorta* know how to bake lights, but there has to be a more efficient and user-friendly approach to it.

Exactly, I always stumble on how many steps and time it's needed so I always think I'm doing something wrong 'coz there must be more automated/faster way. I hope :).

Skonk
10-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Would love to see more Game related tutorials focussing on working with Unity3D.

geo_n
10-24-2012, 10:31 AM

There are schools out there but they're unknown or not even in the countries where CG is produced in volume and high quality. The only place I know for sure that teaches lightwave at high quality and produces top students is Dave school. I talked to one current enrollee. He showed me his work. Very impressed that he is very well rounded in lightwave, zbrush and motionbuilder and a bit of maya. So I know for sure Dave is doing a great job with lightwave and trying to fit the VFX pipeline.

rcallicotte
10-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Depends on who does it - YES!!!

oranjer
10-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Hm wondering, i don't want to push the LW Visual Effects Workflows Tutorial :D - but LW modeling, Character Rigging and all other "Stand alone" Tutorials like DP Kit, surfacing, animating are in tons on the www, YT-Channels, simplylightwave.com or other pages....

I agree with fablefox for the point that Ligthwave group should talk with other training providers for more video tutorial OR make it own mores.
and we should wake up and smell the coffee! because LW have less tutorials (and outdated) compared to other apps: 3DS Max,Maya,Cinema 4d or even Blender! and....it block beginners to TRY IT.

jburford
10-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Have to disagree a bit about that oranjer. . . Do not think a lack of tutorials blocks beginners to try it, but rather think is their lack of knowing that Lightwave exists and has some power to do most of what they might want to do. Here in Germany, is pretty low on known users of Lightwave. Was at a 3D Day in Frankfurt the other month, and upon registering, they had a place to mark for what 3D Software one was using.

I mean there was even most all defunct 3D Packages listed like Truespace Calagari, Imagine, you name it. . . and while even Blender and Silo and such were listed, not mention of Lightwave. In registering, I entered Newtek Lightwave User as my 2nd line of the house address.

Hail
10-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Wait a minute! Why is IK booster not on the list? :(

erikals
10-24-2012, 03:22 PM
...because it requires a lot of IKB experience, something few people have...
it's more about knowing / understanding the IKB pitfalls really... only then can you use it.

(bugs and gotcha's)

Ryan Roye
10-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Check out my YouTube Lightwave Tutorials channel (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB04C5DDD59D2B212&feature=plcp), there's some basic-level IKBooster tutorials in there if you haven't already seen them. Splinegod has done a lot of the more advanced tutorials covering IKBooster... if you aren't sure where to find them send him a PM and nag him to put his stuff up :)

Riff_Masteroff
10-24-2012, 08:22 PM
- Modeling from start to finish some industrial design shapes (let's say Bosch Drilling machine or such complicated stuff) . . . .
- Glass Nodal surfacing (I'm interested to see many different glass materials, I want to see sanded glass, brushed glass, clear glass, colored glass all with nodes.....)
. . .

Right on Lewis. I am tired of muttering to myself about these. Now I have seen another broach the subject.

How about Z-Buffer transfer tut from LW to compositing (Fusion preferred)?

fablefox
10-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Have to disagree a bit about that oranjer. . . Do not think a lack of tutorials blocks beginners to try it, but rather think is their lack of knowing that Lightwave exists and has some power to do most of what they might want to do. Here in Germany, is pretty low on known users of Lightwave. Was at a 3D Day in Frankfurt the other month, and upon registering, they had a place to mark for what 3D Software one was using.

I mean there was even most all defunct 3D Packages listed like Truespace Calagari, Imagine, you name it. . . and while even Blender and Silo and such were listed, not mention of Lightwave. In registering, I entered Newtek Lightwave User as my 2nd line of the house address.

I once in conversation with someone in the industry, and this is in a country where 3D World survey mentioned that more than 90(? either that or 80) animation studios uses Maya. Blender actually have higher spot than Lightwave when it come to looking for job. It's Maya --> Max --> Blender --> whatever else. In that regard. The reason for that is popularity, free, furiously updated, and modern. Having new releases every two month, having a gathering, and having a special open project, really keep them in the news. And employers knew people who uses Blender is all rounder (it has sculpting, and 3d matching, etc).

I think the blame was lack of advertising in the 9.x days (not until LW10, I myself thought it was dead. Like TrueSpace and all...), and the CORE fiasco doesn't help (companies look at this as unstable, first they thought of dropping LW and test CORE beta, and now they have to drop CORE and re-focus on LW? Companies doesn't like what they saw... and we know how it hurt some plug-in developers. Some companies might not be vocal about this as fear of burning bridges). The 10 --> 11 --> 11.5 doesn't help either.

LW is now in a vicious circle, so free tutorials could help. But then again, what free tutorials can do when the discovery version is quite limited (the tutorial, in order to accommodate this, might be simple...) but this already discussed in another thread. Oh well...

But I welcome free, updated, complete, tutorials.

bobakabob
10-25-2012, 03:29 AM
I once in conversation with someone in the industry, and this is in a country where 3D World survey mentioned that more than 90(? either that or 80) animation studios uses Maya. Blender actually have higher spot than Lightwave when it come to looking for job. It's Maya --> Max --> Blender --> whatever else. In that regard. The reason for that is popularity, free, furiously updated, and modern. Having new releases every two month, having a gathering, and having a special open project, really keep them in the news. And employers knew people who uses Blender is all rounder (it has sculpting, and 3d matching, etc).

I think the blame was lack of advertising in the 9.x days (not until LW10, I myself thought it was dead. Like TrueSpace and all...), and the CORE fiasco doesn't help (companies look at this as unstable, first they thought of dropping LW and test CORE beta, and now they have to drop CORE and re-focus on LW? Companies doesn't like what they saw... and we know how it hurt some plug-in developers. Some companies might not be vocal about this as fear of burning bridges). The 10 --> 11 --> 11.5 doesn't help either.

LW is now in a vicious circle, so free tutorials could help. But then again, what free tutorials can do when the discovery version is quite limited (the tutorial, in order to accommodate this, might be simple...) but this already discussed in another thread. Oh well...

But I welcome free, updated, complete, tutorials.
I wouldn't worry about this. If you want a job in the industry best familiarise yourself with a number of apps. You're in a strong position if you're multiskilled and flexible backed up by the quality of your work. If you enjoy using a particular tool like Lightwave which allows you to create great work quickly which you can share between apps you'd surely have a place for it in your toolset.

Especially looking forward to more tutorials on Genoma. An auto rigger in Lightwave has been a Long time coming.

sellis
10-25-2012, 07:02 AM

I think a whole series of 'Master Classes' that cover most topics from the interface in detail, through to VFX work.
Each class could have a real project goal too!

Wishing...

Hail
10-25-2012, 11:27 AM
...because it requires a lot of IKB experience, something few people have...
it's more about knowing / understanding the IKB pitfalls really... only then can you use it.

(bugs and gotcha's)

Exactly! That is precisly why it should be on that list.
The mystery will continue if no one knows how to use it and it keeps getting ignored.
There's a lot of potential lying in that thing that is currently going waste.
It could even be a good complement to genoma if people are taught to use it properly, unless otherwise it is set to be the next socket monkey then this can be justified. :(

Eagle66
10-25-2012, 12:40 PM
I think a whole series of 'Master Classes' that cover most topics from the interface in detail, through to VFX work.
Each class could have a real project goal too!...

Hm, no "Master Classes" is not talking about an Interface or a click-through to detailed modeling the hole Scene - thats not possible in 4-5 hours. "Master Classes" is Workflow, Setup Shading, Light, Render and Integration:

Maya Master Classes example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM97LbyXQ5o

The LW Basics stuff exists always....

lwaddict
10-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Faster response to orders?
It's been a week and still nothing. :(

- - - Updated - - -

erikals
10-25-2012, 04:15 PM
as far as IKBooster goes, i just made a thread on it.
the thread includes some good info on IKB, its capabilities and what to watch out for / be aware of...

IKBooster 2012
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?131361-IKBooster-Info-amp-Gotcha-s&p=1278450#post1278450

erikals
10-25-2012, 04:31 PM

for Glass, check out > http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?127028-60-favourite-surface-presets&p=1265271&viewfull=1#post1265271

evolross
10-25-2012, 08:27 PM
I would love a GoZ tutorial video or in the very least some documentation on the appropriate way to use it. Every time I try to use it, I get a different result. Sometimes it updates the object that's currently in Layout, sometimes it adds a new object, sometimes it subdivides your object, sometimes with a deformation map applied, sometimes not... with no documentation (or videos) how are we to use this correctly? I've resolved to just save out an OBJ from Modeler and do it the old fashioned way. Foregoing GoZ for now until more support is available.

prometheus
10-26-2012, 03:00 AM
Uhmm have to think about this and check the poll list first, not easy too choose.

What Im thinking of is probably in the league of advance bullet dynamics with scene setups based on full projects worth fitting into a movie scene,
Lino´s basic stuff is great, but it stops there.

I would like to see more advanced stuff with buildings falling apart, and more specific..I would like to see bullet in action with moving items such as aeroplanes colliding, and breaking in specific areas such as wings
when hitting something, perhaps even car crashing.
I do Recognize though, that this request is something that really belongs to Advanced dynamics and perhaps commercial training series, and of course...this is something
that also might be very hard to work out for experienced pro´s...and with bullet being quite new in mind.

lightwave-After effects workflow would be on my requests too together with renderpass management with glows etc..etc.

But ....what I rather see first though...the lw documentation updates to include bullet,flocking etc...and a lot of other stuff not being updated, not sure what´s going on with the updates on that now?
But I think a lot of us is missing a proper update there.

Michael

prometheus
10-26-2012, 03:07 AM
Great to see some more updates ...however, I know it is more cumbersome to update, but a small thumb image representing a screenshot of the tutorial would be much nicer than the same thumbnail over and over again,
what´s the point with that?..it should be exluded if it doesn´t show some representation, My guess is that you guys simple haven´t had the time yet to do so?
otherwise ..I love the look on the site.

Cheers.

Michael

RebelHill
10-26-2012, 04:25 AM
I would love a GoZ tutorial video or in the very least some documentation on the appropriate way to use it. Every time I try to use it, I get a different result. Sometimes it updates the object that's currently in Layout, sometimes it adds a new object, sometimes it subdivides your object, sometimes with a deformation map applied, sometimes not... with no documentation (or videos) how are we to use this correctly? I've resolved to just save out an OBJ from Modeler and do it the old fashioned way. Foregoing GoZ for now until more support is available.

Easy...

Use single layer objects... multilayer ones dont go down so well. Start out in LW... if u start in ZB and try to send back to LW, often, u just get a cube. And lastly remember that whatever state your mesh is in in ZB is what wil transfer back to LW when u hit goZ (so u need to turn the division slider down, etc)

dwburman
10-26-2012, 02:49 PM
There's a LightWave 11.0.3 Addendum manual in the download section of the user account page at lightwave3d.com that covers all the new features, or are you asking for something else?

But ....what I rather see first though...the lw documentation updates to include bullet,flocking etc...and a lot of other stuff not being updated, not sure what´s going on with the updates on that now?
But I think a lot of us is missing a proper update there.

Michael

prometheus
10-29-2012, 03:15 AM
There's a LightWave 11.0.3 Addendum manual in the download section of the user account page at lightwave3d.com that covers all the new features, or are you asking for something else?

Uhhm..yeah, But the whole help system should be revisited and connectable from the help buttons inside of lightwave, preferably as one single help menu that is searchable.
Besides..even if we have the 11.0.3 addendum, I think there are a lot missing from previous updates, tools that has been changed or updated or new ones added that I havent seen anywhere in any
documentation.
Cant recall exactly right now, have to check them again to be more specific.
If all the documentation and addendum is there, then it should just be a matter of implement them to the help buttons or merge them together as one singel help system, with a revision number.

Michael

lwaddict
10-29-2012, 08:13 AM

- - - Updated - - -

4 days later and still nothing.
Did the break off from the mother ship kill customer support?

Snosrap
10-29-2012, 10:54 AM
How about some good basic and advanced UV tuts? Cody Burke has a nice video for beginners on UV mapping in the "LightWave 11 Intro to Compositing Part 1" tutorial, but unless the user was also interested in compositing he/she would never know to look there.

erikals
10-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Probiner have some,
http://www.youtube.com/user/FullFr4me/videos?query=uv

i have some,
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sq=uv

mine are not professional, but might be of use anyway...

problem with NT making UV tutorials is that they lack good UV tools,
it'd be better for them to add new good UV tools (and fix bugs) while at the same time making updated UV tutorials.
UV bugs > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwn0RuZwIwc

dwburman
10-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Oh, you meant THOSE features. ;)
I think I read somewhere that the docs or at least manual are slated to get a refresh for LW12. I don't know how that works with the help system (F1). I agree that the docs/help need improving, I just wanted to make sure you weren't missing what is currently available (LW 10 manual + LW11 addendum).

Uhhm..yeah, But the whole help system should be revisited and connectable from the help buttons inside of lightwave, preferably as one single help menu that is searchable.
Besides..even if we have the 11.0.3 addendum, I think there are a lot missing from previous updates, tools that has been changed or updated or new ones added that I havent seen anywhere in any
documentation.
Cant recall exactly right now, have to check them again to be more specific.
If all the documentation and addendum is there, then it should just be a matter of implement them to the help buttons or merge them together as one singel help system, with a revision number.

Michael

geo_n
10-30-2012, 09:26 PM
More advance stuff, real world application.
Relativity samples, working with wires and hoses in real time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-akoCncr1M&feature=youtu.be

kfinla
11-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Relativity is a great topic.
FiberFX
Genoma
Flocking
Instancing
Bullet

Were my pick's.

Ryste3d
11-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Hm, no "Master Classes" is not talking about an Interface or a click-through to detailed modeling the hole Scene - thats not possible in 4-5 hours. "Master Classes" is Workflow, Setup Shading, Light, Render and Integration:

Maya Master Classes example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM97LbyXQ5o

The LW Basics stuff exists always....

Yes yes yes, and all of this for Lightwave

http://eat3d.com/training_videos

erikals
11-02-2012, 09:15 PM
how to make a Pie Chart animation in Lightwave > without plugins! :]

3DGFXStudios
11-03-2012, 04:06 AM
Is mis the python check box! I'd like a tutorial about that.

Eagle66
11-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Yes yes yes, and all of this for Lightwave

No - MAYA and V-Ray :angel:. The next part is out since yesterday.

Live Action & CG 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pbV5PPdRD70#t=12s

But LW Visual Effects Workflows leads this poll .... :thumbsup:

Darth Mole
11-03-2012, 06:47 PM
I needed to do a simple expression the other day and was utterly defeated. The manual didn't explain it well enough and - somewhat tellingly - I couldn't find any good examples online either. I then realised NewTek had bought Amelie, the node-based expression editor which was now part of LW, so I looked at that. Same again; utterly defeated. It was then I thought of the power locked up in LW's expressions and how annoying it was that I simply couldn't use it.

For clarity, the manual (and the expression editor) says what all the buttons do but assumes way too much knowledge on the part of the user. I have no idea what order to put things in or how the syntax works - and I'd really like to. So my suggestion, as well as 'All Of The Above', is a nice, uncomplicated video that explains, in super basic terms, how to organise and write expressions to do simple things like a flickering light or handheld camera jitter. And maybe then move on to slightly more complex things, using the expression editor, which looks like it could be a killer weapon in the right hands (in mine, currently, it's just another plug-in in a long list of unused plug-ins).

stiff paper
11-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Lino has several cel shading demos up on YouTube. If Lino can be persuaded to part with some of his knowledge, then why not make a short series of tutorials on cel shading, taking an anime style character through to completion? It could be project based, which is something people seem to like. It could start with hints and illustrative examples in the modeling stage, then move on to rigging, then surfacing, then making a very brief animation, and finishing off with lighting and final render.

LightWave has a long (and pretty respectable) history in cel shaded 3D, but nobody ever seems to mention it...

egearbox
11-23-2012, 11:31 PM
I needed to do a simple expression the other day and was utterly defeated. The manual didn't explain it well enough and - somewhat tellingly - I couldn't find any good examples online either.

I've so been there, my friend. Expressions remain a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, stuffed into an old sock, and hidden under the fridge. More examples, please!

egearbox
11-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Here's a fellow named Greg Sullivan who's posted their entire LW training DVD series on YouTube - I'm sure they'd let you post them on the site or at least link to them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDvLVsYTEaA

(Disclaimer: I know nothing about the quality or the author, just pointing out that there is stuff like this out in the wild.)

Nemoid
11-24-2012, 12:11 AM
i think that a good series of vids could be made about Genoma rigging and binding, also coupled with endomorphs or even better, bone facial rigging, and, of course some character animation workflows. IMO a complete project involving one cool character as Lino showed us yet, maybe the blue alien or other cool humanoid char would work great as a content !

Brötje
11-25-2012, 06:06 PM
I support the LW for VFX tutorials. But, as I mentioned to some people in here, I would like to see a combination of stuff in one HUGE video tutorial. Not just tutorials like "How to model a house" ,but something in the line of "Let's model a house, texture it, track it in some plates, light it, crash a meteor in it with lots of debris, dust and smoke and set it up for rendering in passes." :-)

A complete shot, in a LW driven VFX pipeline, from beginning to end.

OnlineRender
11-25-2012, 06:22 PM
I support the LW for VFX tutorials. But, as I mentioned to some people in here, I would like to see a combination of stuff in one HUGE video tutorial. Not just tutorials like "How to model a house" ,but something in the line of "Let's model a house, texture it, track it in some plates, light it, crash a meteor in it with lots of debris, dust and smoke and set it up for rendering in passes." :-)

A complete shot, in a LW driven VFX pipeline, from beginning to end.

love that avatar !

Brötje
11-26-2012, 01:24 AM
love that avatar !

Thanks! I got it from this youtube hit :)

Watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw

khan973
11-26-2012, 06:13 AM
Anything Nodal High level Gerardo Estrada has to share!

robpowers3d
11-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks for this suggestion. Yes LightWave is used quite a bit in Japan by studios like Sunrise to do amazing films and series work. We will be putting more information on that in upcoming LightWave Newsletters. Cel shading lovers Keep an eye out!

Lino has several cel shading demos up on YouTube. If Lino can be persuaded to part with some of his knowledge, then why not make a short series of tutorials on cel shading, taking an anime style character through to completion? It could be project based, which is something people seem to like. It could start with hints and illustrative examples in the modeling stage, then move on to rigging, then surfacing, then making a very brief animation, and finishing off with lighting and final render.

LightWave has a long (and pretty respectable) history in cel shaded 3D, but nobody ever seems to mention it...

nickdigital
11-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Cel shading lovers Keep an eye out!

Will do!

DrStrik9
11-28-2012, 12:56 AM
I wholeheartedly agree on the super-high-fog-index of LW expressions. I use Relativity because it's simpler and makes more sense (to me), but I also have all the Rel docs, from way back when Prem was developing it. Are those docs available to all LW users?

Add +1 for doing tuts on expressions, and at the same time, showing how to do the same things in Relativity. Or maybe the other way around: show Rel and all its amazing capabilities, then try to do the same things using expressions. :)

bazsa73
11-28-2012, 03:08 AM
Will do!

+1

geo_n
11-28-2012, 03:37 AM
Anything Nodal High level Gerardo Estrada has to share!

+1. Although RH is offering one, which I've yet to pick up due to lack of time to watch. Definitely gerardo's workflow are in a different level and would love to see how he works.

sadkkf
11-28-2012, 09:31 AM
I'd love more info on VFX work, like fire and smoke, but I know LW by itself isn't very capable of that yet. Not sure I want to buy a $400 plugin either since the companies for last two I bought no longer exist.

LW <--> AE would be great.

Any and all modeling tips are always welcome, too.

Eagle66
11-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Visual Effects Workflows is by far the Winner of this Poll - so we stay tuned :thumbsup:

erikals
11-28-2012, 03:42 PM
can't wait, hope we get several :hey:

silviotoledo
11-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Please give us more video tutorials with:

GENOMA RIGS including MOCAP RETARGET AND EDIT
NODES - 5 volumes videos series from Rebel Hill
PYTHON SCRIPTING FOR LIGHTWAVE - from beginning to Advanced
BULLET SOFTBODIES

prometheus
11-29-2012, 12:43 AM
I'd love more info on VFX work, like fire and smoke, but I know LW by itself isn't very capable of that yet. Not sure I want to buy a $400 plugin either since the companies for last two I bought no longer exist.

LW <--> AE would be great.

Any and all modeling tips are always welcome, too.

That´s why you should buy it, if people doesn´t it will be gone.

Newtek could consider hire or giving some fee to Mr Rid, and let him do some tutorials with particles and fire perhaps, otherwise there is some training with space explosions etc..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN1q1orEie8

But this are typical space shots and not building burns which will need a different aproach, and as you mentioned...by itself Lightwave isn´t enough, you need turbulenceFD.
It has been stated on the jawset site that tutorials should arrive, but it is taking some time..perhaps it might show up on liberty3d too, since I saw it mentioned about tutorials covering some turbulenceFD
if I´m not wrong.

Michael

MarcusM
11-29-2012, 01:36 AM
What is the main pool result? User interface in LW is so simple that nobody have problem with his :) Well, maybe there is place to add something new.

Eagle66
02-20-2013, 01:19 PM
Three Months later:

Visual Effects Workflows was the winner of this poll - any news what follows...?

VonBon
02-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Did "Animation" not make the list?

Hail
02-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Did "Animation" not make the list?

Yeah.. and no CA too :(
Based on the kind of works we have in the gallery it would be safe to assume that the lw community lacks a lot of highly skilled character animators, so would it not have been a wise decision to consciously shape the community in this field by providing lw related training for those interested?

torturebori007
02-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Texturing would be a great thing that's for sure....From simple things to advanced....

digitaldoc
02-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Lighting biological molecular type scenes
New modeling tools
The seldom mentioned tools in layout and modeler
A human genoma rig with weighting tips to avoid the catchya's

Celshader
02-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Yeah.. and no CA too :(
Based on the kind of works we have in the gallery it would be safe to assume that the lw community lacks a lot of highly skilled character animators, so would it not have been a wise decision to consciously shape the community in this field by providing lw related training for those interested?

I've seen plenty of good character animators in Los Angeles. What previous versions of LightWave suffered from was a lack of character riggers. Genoma just spackled over that gaping chasm in the side of the LightWave workforce.

For learning the art of character animation, I strongly recommend starting with Eric Goldberg's Character Animation Crash Course (http://www.silmanjamespress.com/shop/pc/Character-Animation-Crash-Course-p3406.htm).

lino.grandi
02-22-2013, 09:54 AM
I've seen plenty of good character animators in Los Angeles. What previous versions of LightWave suffered from was a lack of character riggers. Genoma just spackled over that gaping chasm in the side of the LightWave workforce.

For learning the art of character animation, I strongly recommend starting with Eric Goldberg's Character Animation Crash Course (http://www.silmanjamespress.com/shop/pc/Character-Animation-Crash-Course-p3406.htm).

Reading this just made my day!

Thank you Jen!

zapper1998
02-22-2013, 10:08 AM
For me, in order of preference:

1) Integration of LW into an After Effects pipeline - render pass management etc.
2) Nodal surfacing
3) Character Rigging (currently use Maestro)
4) Fibre FX

In testament to the quality of the more recent integrated features, I feel I need no tutorials on Instancing, Bullet or Flocking - they are easy enough to sit and fiddle with to get the basics right quite quickly.

#2 for sure
need more more on that subject

speismonqui
02-22-2013, 07:24 PM
I know it's huge and waaaay to much to ask, but honestly I would love to see this in Lightwave, now with 11.5 , the AE/ZBrush integration, Genoma and all the new cool features. And not only for personal choice, but it would be amazing for LW/NT to show the industry, newbies, old time LW users coming back, etc. what LW is about!

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/products/masterclass/3dcreaturedev/

Spinland
02-22-2013, 07:52 PM
My main vote was for more Genoma stuff, specifically about the parent links and muscle/tendon stuff that I don't yet understand.

Secondary votes for FiberFX because I can't get enough of that stuff, and render nodes because the current LWSN docs read to me like an obscure Linux how-to, so might as well be written in Sanskrit. :)

Eagle66
02-24-2013, 12:10 PM
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/products/masterclass/3dcreaturedev/

That's for you :angel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ta9xfpo54Y

Hm, the theme discussion is over IMHO :D

The absolute winner is: Visual Effects Workflows with 53 %

Crowds, Flocking, Genova, etc. can be integrated. 4-5 hour, DVD or Download: Lightwave 11 VFX MasterClass for $59 in the NT Shop for example - yeah!

OlaHaldor
05-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Just make it possible to purchase a digital download, and I'll purchase anything interesting.

erikals
05-30-2013, 01:15 PM
digital downloads are a must these days ;]

safetyman
05-31-2013, 07:48 AM
The best tutorials I've seen are the ones that cover an entire project from start to finish. For instance, modeling a character/car/whatever, uv-mapping, texturing, rigging, then animating, etc. This way, you cover just about everything with multiple vids and you get something when you're done. If someone has a good handle on modeling, they can skip that one and go on to something else. IMO this would be better than tutorials on how to model a trashcan lid or how to create a nice wood texture.

Eagle66
06-01-2013, 05:12 AM
Something like this:
http://vimeo.com/21721165

:thumbsup:

Jamesxx
07-18-2013, 02:10 AM
like safetyman says i think you can get the most out of entire projects. With projects you can learn more in a shorter amount of time. if you start learning a software and you do a project, you will be faster familiar with the software then with seperated tutorials which arent related to eavh other. what i would really like to see is a project that starts from modeling over to texturing,maybe also goz for detail modeling, maps aso, and also rendering rigging and maybe a bit of animation.

Jamesxx
07-19-2013, 10:28 AM
maybe a bit offtopic but what i would really like to see also lightwave on digitaltutors

Eagle66
07-21-2013, 02:41 PM
digitaltutors never supports this tutorial stuff which was voted here.

digitaltutors has synthetic, non-realistic, high polished result Lessons for beginners and mainstream consumer Software and Tutorials for Unity people - never LW.

erikals
07-21-2013, 03:38 PM
it did have some Battle For Terra LightWave stereoscopic camera lessons,
also the Taron organic SubD lessons, but these seem to be removed.

edit1: sorry, that was gnomon...

edit2: the Battle For Terra one is not gone...
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/870/#.UexVBm3AHq4

i did check out some Maya tutorials from digitaltutors back in the day, most of them where pretty good
when it came down to modeling / animation.