PDA

View Full Version : A gizmo in Modeler?

Philbert
10-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Maybe some of you saw this at Siggraph but this video is the first I've seen a gizmo being used in Modeler 11.5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAbH234ejkI (Skip to 9:42)

The rest of the video is good too. Good job, Cody.

hrgiger
10-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Unfortunately that seems to be a tool specific gizmo and doens't seem to apply to any other operation in modeler. I hope that gizmo is a work in progress because I find it pretty hard to read, especially in the perspective viewport. The yellow handles get lost as to which shared axis they belong to.

Amurrell
10-23-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't see why this couldn't be applied anywhere else in the near future for transformations.

Snosrap
10-23-2012, 09:51 PM
I wonder why the wireframe geometry changes to black? Why wouldn't the gizmo go to the center of the object? He right clicked on a face and the gizmo snapped there but yet the operation worked on the whole box and not just the face the gizmo was on. I hope NT lets some of us old timers play with these new tools to give some workflow input.

Philbert
10-23-2012, 11:59 PM
I didn't notice the wireframe changing color. The entire box is moving because he had nothing selected (thus everything is selected). Clicking on the poly was only to set the pivot point for the gizmo.

geo_n
10-24-2012, 12:49 AM
That is pretty cool giving us functionality to edit in xyz properly in perspective viewport like other appz.
There's some orange boxes on the perspective viewport which hopefully are function buttons to make it possible to edit per polygon, point, edge.

alexs3d
10-24-2012, 12:54 AM
cool, i find the new gizmo tool very useful...

by the way great work on the tutorials @cody, very clear and understandable ;)

safetyman
10-24-2012, 05:28 AM
I like the gizmo and I hope they implement it for other tools, but what I really want to know is: Is that alien torso included in the content package? :)

Snosrap
10-24-2012, 07:47 AM
The entire box is moving because he had nothing selected (thus everything is selected). Clicking on the poly was only to set the pivot point for the gizmo. LW 101 -- When nothing is selected everything is selected, so I would prefer the tools would work as such. Now if this is an indication of how all Modeler tools will function in the future and they want to ween us off the traditional LW thinking one tool at a time, I suppose this is okay. Apparently the orange icons to the left are action center and selection options. I'd much prefer a more global approach and not tool specific, but again maybe this is more of a intermediary step. Modeler is conceptually genius as it stands - modo took that genius to the next level and that is more of my expectation for Modelers future. That last thing Modeler needs is more specific tools. We already have - what 5 translate tools, now this makes 6. Modeler and Layout are separated, why not use that to their development advantage and buld a new modeler from scratch with the groundwork laid within it to be Layout as well, otherwise it looks like we can look forward to one big hack job.

Skonk
10-24-2012, 10:34 AM
If you look on the tool list on the left there seems to be "Pick" versions of a bunch of tools (Nudge, Rotate etc).

Lewis
10-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Yeah very good video from Cody

3DGFXStudios
10-25-2012, 08:30 AM
I don't like gizmo's. I never need them in LW modeler. It's much easier to just click and drag in the whole view port. Whats so handy about grabbing a little 5x5 pixel gizmo?

probiner
10-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Done right a gizmo present in common operations is a step forward to modeling in Perspective Viewport only, since a good Gizmo not only give you axis like you can have access now with CTRL key, but also Planes (XY, XZ, YZ) which in Quad View you have for free. Though to be honest a hotkey for planes, not just axis would also be greatm, since Gizmos disadvantage for things like Drag, is that they requite prior selection and then clicking on the right handle.

Agree with it all Snosrap

Cheers

probiner
10-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Hoooray for boobies!... I mean... Double post!

hrgiger
10-25-2012, 09:58 AM
I don't like gizmo's. I never need them in LW modeler. It's much easier to just click and drag in the whole view port. Whats so handy about grabbing a little 5x5 pixel gizmo?

I think people are very much used to the idea of modeling in a quad viewport situation in LightWave modeler where if they need to constrain a movement in a particular direction, its almost easiest to move to orthagonal view that best accomadates that. Gizmos allow you to constrain your movement easily within a perspective viewport and frees you from moving from viewport to viewport. Quad viewports in a lot of cases I find to just be a waste of screen real estate. Gizmos would also allow you to perform multiple constrained movement directions without the use of hotkeys. They could also give you the option of scaling, rotating, and translating within the same tool without need for switching between modes.

3DGFXStudios
10-25-2012, 10:23 AM
What indeed would be useful is having them only in the perspective view.

- - - Updated - - -

Hoooray for boobies!... I mean... Double post!

agreed! :D

Oedo 808
10-25-2012, 02:07 PM
I'd like to see a multi-widget-gizmo-thingy-whatever that allows you to translate, stretch, scale, rotate all-in-one as hrgiger mentions. Should you not be on the gizmo or have it active, I'd like to be able to constrain scaling and such to the axes much like you can constrain translating (+Ctrl).

A mono-gizmo would be decidedly 'meh'.