PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Post Behaviour motion

rdolishny
10-23-2012, 01:07 PM
You can see my bug character animation here: http://youtu.be/YRP_7mlZIDc

It turned out nice, but there were times I wanted to stop the flapping of the wings and have him glide a little...then have the wings flap again. Of course I could keyframe all the flaps but I wonder if there's a way to dial in a motion, or tell the motion to repeat until frame 'x'.

In Animation Master I know there is a motion mixer which was like a timeline for transitioning from one walk cycle to another. That's kinda what I want, but I want to take advantage of the automatic oscillation like you see in my example above. Does Lightwave have this?

How can I dial in and out an automated animation like wings flapping?

Thank you!!!

RebelHill
10-23-2012, 01:40 PM

RebelHill
10-23-2012, 01:42 PM
setup a proxy that gets the motion perpetually, then use same as item to constrain the actual to those and animate the blend amount.

rdolishny
10-23-2012, 05:50 PM
setup a proxy that gets the motion perpetually, then use same as item to constrain the actual to those and animate the blend amount.

I understand the theory of this I just am not sure how to apply the constraint with a blend option.

Right now I'm thinking something like a 'follower' modifier which doesn't have a blend option, so that's not it.

phillydee
10-23-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm not sure if this is what you need, but in a similar scenario, I did something like this to control the movement....

So, in the scene, move the "Wing_BUZZ-Control" from a value of Zero to 1m on the X axis, and that will control the amount of buzz motion that the "wing" null will have. If you open up the Motion panel of the the Wing null and select the Controllers and Limits tab, under the "Rotate" panel you can see there's an envelope on the "interpolate" value. That envelope is controlled by that "Wing_BUZZ-Control" null by an expression. (the "BANK" channel is set to "Same as Item", as per mentioned above by the genius Mr. RebelHill)

Note that this doesn't slow or speed up oscillation, just the example of how one object controls another's amount (of motion it follows)

nickdigital
10-23-2012, 06:14 PM
I understand the theory of this I just am not sure how to apply the constraint with a blend option.

Like this.

rdolishny
10-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Wow. That works perfectly. But I got just a little lost and can't get back on the wagon.

I get everything up to the expression part. I can't imagine how to read your expression (I've not done this before but want to learn). Is it a text file or something I can read? How do you create an expression?

Is there a good Basics 101 expressions video you can recommend? I don't want to waste anyone's time but this .lws is exactly what I was hoping to see. I want to learn more.

I tried to recreate your .lws with two nulls: one that flaps and a wing object. I went to the motion option and selected the Rotation Item as the null, and dialed the Interpolate up to 100% ... but nothing happened to my wing. I guess the expression ties it together..?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

rdolishny
10-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Like this.

Not quite.

This looks like dynamic parenting and unparenting. The other .lws from @phillydee captured the essence of my question. But thank you for posting! :)

phillydee
10-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Hey, glad you find it useful.

I had a bird rig with a similar set up, this is just a very "simplified" version :)

I'll walk you through what I did:

1) I create the motion I want to apply. This is the "WingFlapMotionMaker" null, on the Bank channel.

2) I then want to apply this motion to the Bank channel of my wing, by first selecting the item to follow (1), and then making sure the Bank channel of the wing I want to flap follows the Bank channel of the null with the looping flap motion (2).
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=108734&d=1351049054

3) Then, clicking the Interpolation Envelope button, you can now "dissolve" the following motion in and out (like is shown by NickDigital--it's the exact same process.... :thumbsup: )

4) To add the controller: there's many ways to do this, I usually like creating nulls and using the Position.X value to control channels. I'm sure there's cooler ways out there, but for me this works and it's incredibly simple to do:

After you've pressed the "E" button, hit the "New Expression" button (1). Now, erase the word "Value" it adds by default.
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=108735&d=1351049506

Next, we add the X channel of the controller null. We do this by first selecting the controller object (1), and selecting the (2) X channel in the channel editor, right clicking on the channel and selecting "Append To Expression" (3). Like magic, it will appear where it used to say "Value". Hit the enter key, and you should have an expression built.

5) Now, you need to apply this expression to the Interpolate Envelope on the wing. So, click on the "E" button again on your wing object. With the envelope selected in the graph editor (1), go down to your newly created expression and press "Apply"(2).
You now should have a functioning controller.

Last thing: because the envelope's desired range is from 0 to 100%, that translates to 0-1m on the X axis (positive). I usually set up motion limits on the controller so I can't push it out of bounds. You can see this in the scene file I posted earlier.

Good luck!:boogiedow

RebelHill
10-24-2012, 02:12 AM
Yeah... u can do away with the expression if u like... Just animate the blend value in graph.

rdolishny
10-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Thank you everyone.

I was busy in the office today but showed this thread to everyone who passed by my workstation: I was way to excited about the incredible LW community that is as strong (or stronger) than ever.

I finally have some downtime to try this out and it's so easy now that it's been explained to me.

I was a LW user in the Amiga days and use LW for occasional work ... but with v11 I'm slowly getting back in the game.

Thank you RebelHill, phillydee and nickdigital!