PDA

View Full Version : Question to Newtek about Lightwave8 upgrade download

milkman
10-30-2003, 11:05 PM
Howdy,

This question is directed to Newtek, however, if its already been answered and someone else responds, thats fine as well.

I was wondering, those that buy the DFX/LW8 upgrade deal, and download their upgrade... how will that work?

Will it be an ISO of the CD rom that we can burn, with all the content dirs and whatnot? or will it be one big installation file of everything?

Thank you, and I await your respose :)

mattclary
10-31-2003, 05:45 AM
Based on past experience, it will be an executable, not an ISO. Proton has already stated that the download will be the same as what you get on the CD, so it will be a hefty executable.

Librarian
10-31-2003, 06:39 AM
Imagine thousands of downloads simultanously the day LW8 will be available . Hope that they have enough capacity. :D

Matt
10-31-2003, 07:16 AM
I hope NewTek split the download of the content into sections, would make downloads easier.

gjjackson
10-31-2003, 08:08 AM
An ISO certainly would be nice.

milkman
10-31-2003, 08:23 AM
I think I'd prefer an ISO

mattclary
10-31-2003, 08:53 AM
I don't care if it's an ISO or an executable as long as I get everything. I actually plan to order the $99 upgrade to get the manuals and pretty box.

Zach
10-31-2003, 02:06 PM
I was told that they will send the cd out in the mail (cd-r they said) and the download will probably be like downloading the 7.x and previous updates (twenty something megs). If you think about it, the core of the lightwave program is rather small, its the content folders that take up so much space.

If you want a manual, it will be $99 extra, otherwise, it is going to be an online manual like the current one. I like having manuals, but I guess I can live without a manual since the DFX+ bundle came with dvd courseware and 2 manuals. I could fork out another $99 bux, but the manual better be consisting of more than just one thick-a$$ed book that falls apart super-easy!

hopicus
11-02-2003, 07:48 PM
so whats this, we have to pay an extra $99 for the manuals?... and LW 8 is a download upgrade? I dont get a pretty new box? This is all sounding pretty weak... or is all of this just about the dxf thing... whats going on?

geoff3dnz
11-02-2003, 08:05 PM
As far as I know, that's just for the preorder of LW8 (with DFX+) - if you wait till after the promotion to upgrade, you'll get the box and paper manuals.

Zach
11-03-2003, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I am under the notion that that is what is going on.

milkman
11-03-2003, 08:48 PM
I'm getting disgusted about how secretive Newtek is being with all this.

There is so much confusion over all this.. how in the WORLD could letting the people know how the upgrade will be handled be detrimental to ANYTHING?

Sigh.

takkun
11-03-2003, 11:37 PM
Have you tried contacting them directly?

And I don't see what the issue is, executable or an ISO (?), doesn't matter, it's going to be the same thing either way.

colkai
11-04-2003, 03:32 AM
For me
I'd rather have a ZIP / EXE as I don't want to wait to burn an ISO to CD before I can start installing! ;)

mattclary
11-04-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by milkman
I'm getting disgusted about how secretive Newtek is being with all this.

There is so much confusion over all this.. how in the WORLD could letting the people know how the upgrade will be handled be detrimental to ANYTHING?

Sigh.

I'd hardly say they are being secretive. Proton has assured us that anyone getting the downloadable upgrade will get the full content. Now HOW that will be handled may not have even been decided by Newtek yet. Don't get all paranoid on us.

milkman
11-04-2003, 08:25 AM
Sorry, i guess I'm just getting antsy.