PDA

View Full Version : 2001, A Space Odyssey, My Take

starbase1
10-22-2012, 04:33 PM
I've been working on putting together a sequence based on 2001, A Space Odyssey, complete with music. (The first space section, from Earth to Moon), full 1080p HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNiGoz4wlJY

I'm going to do another pass - some sections need higher quality rendering, and I want to add two sections at the end showing the "Aries" landing. There's a jerk in station movement as the Aries leaves the station, and a glitch at the end of the sequence where it moves behind a rotating Moon.

But I think its getting there!

If you can spot other things that need fixing, please let me know, constructive feedback always welcome.

Using Blue Danube all the way through stretched it a bit, so I decided to use different music for the three sections. All models except the Orion are mine.

Nick

lertola2
10-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Wow. Beautiful. What an incredible amount of work. I love the detailed modeling. The earth and moon are amazingly well done.

The only thing that strikes me is that some of the shots seem dark. Especially when we first see the rotating space station.

-Joe

djwaterman
10-24-2012, 01:26 AM
I find it hard to know what to think, on the one hand it is incredible and faithful work in reconstructing the models and moon surface. yet I'm unfortunately always going to compare to the brilliant original source and your version comes second best to that. I felt the shots just went on too long and didn't hold together as a sequence, more a group of long shots to show off the models. Wouldn't it be logical to just try and re-create the actual model shots as they appear in the film, the same lighting and so on? I am not really trying to be negative, I really admire the amount of work and accuracy involved here, and the moon surface is really great, but I can't overlook the CG look on some of the shots which I think a reworking of the lighting and surfacing would fix. I'd like to see it looking really spot on.

starbase1
10-24-2012, 03:12 AM
Hmmm... Looks like I started this thread twice, oops!

Lertola - The darker scenes look very different on different monitors, sorry! (And not just the usual PC vs Mac), in the end I ewent for something that looked good to me on my monitor.

DJ - I can settle for a distant second to Kubrick! Recreating the film shots, well, there are too many that I can't do, all the ones involving people for a start. I was trying to find a way to do the shot with the Orion seen lining up from inside the docking bay, but I really can't do the level of detail required in the docking bay. Also there was some cheating in the film, with mirrored sequences of the Aries. In the end I went for things that felt right to me, and were fun to do. And a lot of that did come down to showing off the models!

Also in a couple of areas, dare I say it, I felt i could improve things - Kubrick failed after many attempts to get a Moon that looked good and ended up using observatory shots on glass plates. My displacement mapped one (which uses memory to the point where my PC becomes unstable!), I feel adds something. I was also rather pleased with the shots where the camera moves down vertically past the station, which would have been horrendous to attempt with a physical model.

But I will be doing an updated and I hope improved version - if you can point out any specific scenes where it looks too CGI, that would be a help!

Cheers,
Nick

djwaterman
10-24-2012, 03:27 AM
I don't know if these models exist out there commercially, but you should consider commercializing them, converting to a few of the popular formats. I guess it's legal to do so.

starbase1
10-24-2012, 04:25 AM
I don't know if these models exist out there commercially, but you should consider commercializing them, converting to a few of the popular formats. I guess it's legal to do so.

Well, there have been loads of kits put together by amateurs for physical models, so it should be OK - but I tend to think it's not worth the hassle. For all the models I built for the video, the fine details are not remotely accurate - I made up the nurneys and greebles as I went along. That would reduce the value to a serious fan a lot.

I have released the Space Station V mesh, and the Aries Mesh over on Foundation 3d. (The Orion mesh is not mine, I got that there too). I've not really decided about releasing the orbital platforms yet, I'll be doing at least one more before I decide.

mattc
10-25-2012, 09:51 PM
(The Orion mesh is not mine, I got that there too). I've not really decided about releasing the orbital platforms yet, I'll be doing at least one more before I decide.

That would be the one I put up there after porting it over from Max with BJ's permission.

starbase1
10-26-2012, 03:27 AM
That would be the one I put up there after porting it over from Max with BJ's permission.

And duly credited in the opening titles!

I'm getting tempted to work on upscaling the maps, its a very good mesh but the panel lines are a bit thick... I think with sharper panels you could get a lot closer.