PDA

View Full Version : LW trial version hassle: are You kiddin' me ?

Emmanuel
10-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Hi NewTek,

You DO realise that the current workflow to obtain a time-limited (!) trial of LW is a joke, right ? I mean, 8 steps to activate a 30-day-trial license ?

50one
10-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Hi NewTek,

You DO realise that the current workflow to obtain a time-limited (!) trial of LW is a joke, right ? I mean, 8 steps to activate a 30-day-trial license ?

This is a hassle for you? Go try out the FlexLM licensing:)

jwiede
10-21-2012, 01:49 PM
The potential customer is doing Newtek a favor by downloading and trying the software (and indicating interest, providing info, etc.). Make it too much of a pain, and they'll get the impression that the product (and company) are generally a hassle.

I'm not really convinced that Newtek is asking for significantly more effort than competitors to get a time-licensed demo, though. Emmanuel, what 3D pkgs offer easier access to time-licensed fully-functional demos? I know AD products require about the same number of steps.

Cageman
10-21-2012, 05:08 PM
When I got Netflix here in Sweden (Yay.. the launch was just a couple of days ago), I had to jump through some steps. If 8 steps is too much for someone, I guess that person will be outrageous actually having to learn how to use the software! No matter which 3D-app!

3D Kiwi
10-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Last time I tried a trial of Softimage all I had to do was install it. Click the demo or try it button and it sorted itself out. Very easy. You shouldnt have to do any more than that just for a trial.

BeeVee
10-22-2012, 01:59 AM
How do you make it eight steps? I can do it in six:

1. Download trial;
2. Install it;
3. Register an account;
4. Register trial;
5. Install lwk file
6. Restart LightWave

I'm not being picky, I want to know what steps you take.

B

fablefox
10-22-2012, 07:19 PM
If I remember correctly, I only need to install Houdini Apprentice and it just run fine. No need to do anything. If I remember correctly, that is.

Matt
10-22-2012, 09:03 PM
It could be made simpler I agree, but given it is what it is as of now, how would like to see it simpler? Better instructions, or simply less steps?

Amurrell
10-23-2012, 05:22 PM
I think more of a small hassle was installing Photoshop CS6 if we want to get picky about steps. LightWave is a breeze in comparison.