PDA

View Full Version : do you save animations in EXR format ?

erikals
10-20-2012, 09:47 AM
just curious... :

Lightwolf
10-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Sorry, that was a no-brainer. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

COBRASoft
10-20-2012, 10:32 AM
There should be 1 more option: sometimes yes, sometimes no :).

m.d.
10-20-2012, 01:42 PM
the real question should be what flavour of exr compression....
i like the pixar variant for filesize for sure...probably a third of some of the others

kopperdrake
10-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Sometimes exr, sometimes png.

Greenlaw
10-20-2012, 03:56 PM
For frames meant for compositing and post processing, always .exr.

For throwaway tests, .png or .jpg. (Unless testing for the above of course.)

G.

probiner
10-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Yup, EXR. Can't beat that Alpha quality :) png for tests. Hate jpg, eheh

Cageman
10-20-2012, 04:47 PM
We allways render to exr, since we do a lot of compositing... That said, with Janus+exrTrader we also make sure that each renderlayer outputs a .PNG at the same time it saves out the exr files. The PNG files are usefull for us to quickly see a sequence without waiting for heavy exr files to load. :)

walfridson
10-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Lack of 8bit support is a big downer for exr. So only when really needed.

tayotain2
10-21-2012, 02:25 AM
We allways render to exr, since we do a lot of compositing... That said, with Janus+exrTrader we also make sure that each renderlayer outputs a .PNG at the same time it saves out the exr files. The PNG files are usefull for us to quickly see a sequence without waiting for heavy exr files to load. :)

We bought janus about 2 weeks ago and all i can say is WOW! Janus + Exrtrader is lovely combination. On one project we made 2 years ago, we would have saved lots of hair, nerves and 1 week of this 3 week project with janus + exrtrader.

erikals
10-21-2012, 03:39 AM
Lack of 8bit support is a big downer for exr. So only when really needed.

why is that though, too much disk space?

wrightyp100
10-22-2012, 06:40 AM
I had never used it so just rendered something quick out. What's the benefit?

mike_stening
10-22-2012, 07:05 AM
i'd like to know what the benifit is too.

i mainly do stills for print so i tend to use .psd
if i do any animations i use psd's for that but can after effects take exr? (i dont use after effects though i hand it on for compositing)

geo_n
10-22-2012, 07:55 AM
The biggest advantage of exr for me besides the buffers is the ability to keep data in linear format. Exrtrader is super convenient to keep buffers I might need later on. I don't always need all the buffers for personal projects but its good to have them there just incase. The linear output in a small file size compared to .hdr is a big resource saver and lighter for compositing. In a studio setting exrs are a must. Compositors are super demanding of buffers to make their comps pretty :D

Greenlaw
10-22-2012, 09:30 AM
The key advantages are high dynamic range (floating point), extensible number of embedded channels, and several built-in compression methods.

The first makes EXR a superior format for compositing and post processing. The second means you can enable all those 'extra goodies' that many 3D programs output, like motion vectors, depth, O/M ID, etc., and have them all available in a single file--very useful in programs like Fusion, Nuke, etc. The third feature is obvious--all this data can get huge. (BTW, we like to use .plz.)

For Lightwave, you need a custom EXR saver to take full advantage of the format's features. EXRTrader is the best commercial option for this--it's what I use at home. At work we developed a proprietary EXR saver.

G.

m.d.
10-22-2012, 11:11 AM
i like plz as well.....wavelet junkie...
but for personnel projects, i just cant give up the filesize difference over pxr24...
when running some tests my renders were coming out to approx 10mb/frame with other compressions and 3mb/frame with pxr...
for a 24 bit per channel compressed image...that is amazing....

Cageman
10-22-2012, 03:54 PM
We bought janus about 2 weeks ago and all i can say is WOW! Janus + Exrtrader is lovely combination. On one project we made 2 years ago, we would have saved lots of hair, nerves and 1 week of this 3 week project with janus + exrtrader.

Hehe... yeah! Simply put; doing heavy duty rendering without Janus would be like knocking off all wheels of the car or something. Cool to hear that you guys allready have made good use of it to save time. :)

DrStrik9
10-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Yes for finals, no for tests.

EXR is wonderful even if all you do is stills (instead of rendering to .psd). In Photoshop, converting the render from 32-bit/channel to 8-bit/channel has a lot of power for making the image look sometimes even better than the original render would have been just rendering to .psd format.