PDA

View Full Version : IPAD as a LIVE camera?

Lars Borg
10-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Is it possible to turn the IPAD into a LIVE camera using AIRPLAY so far I have only managed to use when playing video files from the IPAD

SBowie
10-19-2012, 06:28 AM
As far as I know, as useful as this would be, the answer is no. (iOS 6 mirroring isn't supported by TriCaster, so I guess it would take an app that accesses the front camera and also provides integrated Airplay support. I haven't heard of one of these, but it seems like a useful idea.)

Lars Borg
10-19-2012, 06:30 AM
A quick one havent tried this but can you have the IVGA to run on the IPAD

SBowie
10-19-2012, 06:36 AM
Interesting thought, and I'll bring it up - but my guess would be that the iPad doesn't have the required hdwe. 'oomph' to run iVGA ... could be wrong.

Lars Borg
10-19-2012, 06:40 AM
Well better the back camera and use the IPAD as a regular camera doing interviews etc with players...we do a lot of sports broadcasts.

jmmultex
10-19-2012, 10:38 AM
If I needed to bring in an iPad feed, I would use an Apple TV as an Airplay receiver for mirroring, connecting it to the TriCaster via a BMD HDMI->SDI converter. I've used this for a range of iPad and iPhone demos without a problem...

Just a thought...

-john

kanep
10-20-2012, 02:36 AM
Is it possible to turn the IPAD into a LIVE camera using AIRPLAY so far I have only managed to use when playing video files from the IPAD

The app 'TVOut Genie' will do this. It's not free, but only a couple of bucks. You will not get full frame rate.

http://jwalsoft.com/apps/tvout-genie/tvoutfeatures

Lars Borg
10-20-2012, 04:39 AM
The app 'TVOut Genie' will do this. It's not free, but only a couple of bucks. You will not get full frame rate.

http://jwalsoft.com/apps/tvout-genie/tvoutfeatures

Will try it out it later this afternoon:)

Lars Borg
10-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Have been testing this with the TVOutGenie...as you said the frame rate is not upto it...to slow...if there would have been sound it would have been at least some benefits. How long can AirPlay reach? say on an open football field? The idea was to find a solution to do LIVE interviews with players:)

PIZAZZ
10-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Lars..

If you want to not mess around with AirPlay and its hurdles, something I have done successfully with iOS devices and the LiveU app is to stream to a Wowza server and then receive the stream into the TriCaster. I used both a PC and Roku box/hdmi to sdi adapter to receive the stream with great success. If latency is something that isn't that big of deal then this solution might work for you. The latency was around 2-3 seconds after tweaking.

Your best bet for a remote wireless camera is to pair up some Teradek boxes. Unless you want to spend one bigger money on true broadcast solutions.