PDA

View Full Version : Need help with decal texture

raylaur
10-17-2012, 09:23 PM
This should be so easy.

I'm using LW 9.
I have an image I want to use as a decal. I saved it as PNG with transparency from Photoshop. In the Surface Editor I load the image into the Color texture channel, apply it as a planar projection with auto sizing. The little cube in the sample rendered output shows the decal image with correct transparent areas. But the transparency does not show in the view windows in texture mode and the decal does not render with transparency in Layout.

I also tried it with a PSD image that has an Alpha channel. Although the Surface Editor shows the transparency the rendered output does not.

Why is it not working?

Note: I've checked posts that go back several years. Some say to use 32-bit TGA with alpha channels. For some reason Photoshop CS6 will not allow me to Save As ANY images with Alpha Channels checked. The check box is grayed out. But I suspect simply saving an image with transparency should work. Correct me if I'm wrong.

nickdigital
10-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Are you trying to make an object where you just see the decal or you see the decal on an object as if it were a sticker? If you want to see just the decal you need to duplicate your image in the Image Editor and set the duplicate to alpha only and use that in the transparency channel. You'll need to set the image layer to invert.

raylaur
10-18-2012, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I want to see it on an object like a sticker. Either planar projection or UV map. Do I need to use a different process than the one you wrote about just seeing the decal?

nickdigital
10-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Is this what you're trying to do?

raylaur
10-18-2012, 04:36 PM
No. The white area should be transparent. Only the smiley face would be visible and mapped onto a surface. But the problem I'm having is that my image IS transparent where the white is but shows white when rendered in Lightwave.

XswampyX
10-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Just invert the alpha channel.

PShop makes alpha value 0 transparent (opacity). Lw makes the alpha value 100 Transparent (transparency). Different things.

I think? :)

nickdigital
10-18-2012, 05:07 PM
No. The white area should be transparent. Only the smiley face would be visible and mapped onto a surface. But the problem I'm having is that my image IS transparent where the white is but shows white when rendered in Lightwave.

Do what xswampyx says. This is that same sticker object with what you want.