PDA

View Full Version : Saved UV Map isn't mapping

digitalimagery
10-17-2012, 07:06 PM
I've built a simple stack of money wrapped with a paper band. I created a scene of multiple money stacks (duplicates of the model) and saved it as a new model. Using the master model copied it to a new model file which I used to build a UV map (my first) based on tutorials I found online. I can see the texture properly applied, saved this as a new surface but when I open my model with multiple stacks and apply that surface to them I can see the map. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for any insight.
DI

- - - Updated - - -

I can't see the map. (Type-o)

DI

nickdigital
10-17-2012, 10:16 PM
What do you mean by saved the surface? Do you mean saving the model again? If you're copying your master model into another model you might be having a problem where you have surfaces with the same name but they have different properties. So the name from one adopts the properties of where it's being copied to.

digitalimagery
10-18-2012, 09:48 AM
AHHHH these flipp'n UV maps are driving me crazy AND wasting tons of time. I'm following this William Vaughan tut ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/MakeUVs.mov to the letter and other than it not showing what to do after you've assigned a geometry to the map it also lacks the info on

1. how you make the map and what format you save it in.
2. Common problems that would cause the map to not show up once applied.
3. How to apply them once made.

1&3 I can guess but once it's not mapping I'm left wondering is there some simple little thing, not mentioned that I'm missing?
I'm not having any success. You would think making a stack of bills out of a box couldn't be more simple. Why then is this flip'n UV map not mapping?

Any help would REALLY be appreciated. I'm so out of time now an all nighter is the only thing that will save my butt.
Thank you LW community - I need a life line here.

DId

PetGerbil
10-18-2012, 10:22 AM
If I'm understanding correctly, The UV map is part of the model not the surface, when you copy the surface it doesn't copy the UV's only the UV's settings.

What I think you need to do is

make the box,UV it,apply your texture.
Clone THAT box and use it to build the stack of money.

If you build another box,you will need to create a new UV.

JoePoe
10-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Considering there's a deadline involved....why don't you use the working uv'ed object in your scene? Duplicate it as before or use "replace with object" (if there aren't too many).

(for faster practical help, post scene, objects, and images for expediency's sake.)

nickdigital
10-18-2012, 10:56 AM
1. how you make the map and what format you save it in.
2. Common problems that would cause the map to not show up once applied.
3. How to apply them once made.

Shouldn't matter what format your image map is in. As long as you stick to RGB you should be fine.
Hard to say without seeing what you've done. Can you post content?
In the surface panel go to Image Map. Instead of the basic projection options (Planar, Spherical, etc) choose UV. You'll get a pulldown to pick with UV map. Pick the one you want. Then assign your image map to it.

digitalimagery
10-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Finally got it to work. I was updating the uv map in Photoshop and assumed it would update when hitting edit/reload in the surface editor (which for whatever reason it wasn't). After building a new box and rebuilding the uv map I was able to do this as expected. Corrupted file maybe? Anyway I did notice If I replaced (rather than reload) the map with the revision would in fact update (which was confusing me). File is rendering happily now - again thanks for the assistance. You folks are life savers (and no all nighter!).

Sample frame attached. Could have been tweaked more but ran out of time. BTW what is the best method for getting smoothing on a cylindrical shape that has hard cuts like the handle on this safe? Knife through close to the cut to eliminate smoothing from affecting the hard cut? You can see I shut smoothing off on that geometry to maintain the hard groves along it's length but I'm getting faceting as a result. Where the door is in motion it won't be noticed but good to know for future work.

Thanks Again!
DI

nickdigital
10-18-2012, 05:43 PM
You could cut/paste the sections that need hard edges that run up against a smooth surface.

digitalimagery
10-18-2012, 09:15 PM
So if I understand this correctly that would separate the geometry cutting off the smoothing? Do they need to live on separate layers or at least have separate surface assignments so as not to be categorized together in the surface editor?

digitalimagery
10-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Item 3. is exactly how I did it. Because I tried creating a new map I went to assign the image map by using the "edit" option under the image of the present map and then selected "reupload." I overwrote the old map but the image didn't change the the geometry went grey (default color assigned). This is when I realized I needed to re import the new map even thought the naming convention was identical. Water under the bridge now. Got it working. A big part of this I'm sure is that I haven't used UV maps before. Thank you for all your help.

DI

Shouldn't matter what format your image map is in. As long as you stick to RGB you should be fine.
Hard to say without seeing what you've done. Can you post content?
In the surface panel go to Image Map. Instead of the basic projection options (Planar, Spherical, etc) choose UV. You'll get a pulldown to pick with UV map. Pick the one you want. Then assign your image map to it.

nickdigital
10-18-2012, 10:20 PM
So if I understand this correctly that would separate the geometry cutting off the smoothing? Do they need to live on separate layers or at least have separate surface assignments so as not to be categorized together in the surface editor?

No you can just cut and paste in the same layer. You could do the separate surface thing but then you'll have redundant surfaces.

digitalimagery
10-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks NickDigital.

DI

Snosrap
10-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Keep it simple: planar map! :)

Areyos Alektor
10-27-2012, 07:33 PM
It's just you can actually use the Planar Mapping, and supplement with Morph Target.