PDA

View Full Version : Instancing: hiding the original object?

jeric_synergy
10-16-2012, 11:58 PM
WHen instancing, moving the original object moves all the instances. But, if you're not prudent ::cough:: the original object is right in the center of the scene.

How does one hide the original object without hiding all the instances???

bobakabob
10-17-2012, 12:36 AM
WHen instancing, moving the original object moves all the instances. But, if you're not prudent ::cough:: the original object is right in the center of the scene.

How does one hide the original object without hiding all the instances???

Just go to scene editor and hide it there. Instances should stay put and not disappear.

jeric_synergy
10-17-2012, 01:15 AM
Just go to scene editor and hide it there. Instances should stay put and not disappear.
Thanks! I literally would never have thought of that! :thumbsup:

gazzared
01-14-2014, 04:27 AM

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but does this just hide it from the scene, or hide it from renders as well? At the moment, if I use the object properties, the all the instances don't render it either.

dpont
01-14-2014, 04:39 AM
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but does this just hide it from the scene, or hide it from renders as well? At the moment, if I use the object properties, the all the instances don't render it either.

If you are using DP Instancer, unlike native LW Instancer
with deactivated reference object in the scene,
instances are not rendered since LW11.5, but worked before,
this even crashed Layout until 11.6, but still not rendered,
I don't see an issue in the process of DP Instancer,
but still no news about my report (one year ago).

Denis.

joseba
01-14-2014, 05:57 AM
Workaround in DPinstancer:
Parent all your items but the reference object(s) to a null positioned above y=0

nexus
01-14-2014, 06:19 AM
Move the reference objects. Then in Lw Instancer all references objects coordinate system change the World to local.

lardbros
01-14-2014, 06:56 AM
The scene editor just needs the tick-box (on the far left) turned off for the original item. That stops it rendering... if you want to hide it in the viewport too, then choose the visibility options just to the right of the tick. This has worked for me every time.

Clearly if you're using Denis' plugin then things are a bit wrong, and Newtek needs to fix it.

- - - Updated - - -

The scene editor just needs the tick-box (on the far left) turned off for the original item. That stops it rendering... if you want to hide it in the viewport too, then choose the visibility options just to the right of the tick. This has worked for me every time.

Clearly if you're using Denis' plugin then things are a bit wrong, and Newtek needs to fix it.

gazzared
01-14-2014, 07:15 AM
I am just using the native instances, so not sure if I can do the same as you suggest. Not at my rig at the moment to check on the scene editor solution either.

EDIT. Sorry didn't see the later posts so will try those when I get back later. Thanks for all your help.

gazzared
01-15-2014, 04:10 AM
Note to self: RTFM :foreheads

Just read the 11.6 addendum and saw on page 66 how do hide the original object. Reading manuals seems to be lost art, but have loaded onto my iPad for some quick reference when needed.

jeric_synergy
01-15-2014, 10:25 AM
:thumbsup: for the page #! Well done.