PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Splash Screen

THREEL
10-16-2012, 11:49 AM
For a long time, now, I've been using LW v 8.5. There may, I said, "may" be an outside chance for me to obtain v 11. So, I thought I'd download the 30 day trail for it. #1. To see if my computer would run it. #2. If it ran, to check out all the bells and whistles that I've been missing out on. Well, in order to run v 11, fully, one needs to enter a number that appears at the lower left corner of the Splash Screen that appears upon initial opening of the software. After installation, I ran the program, but there was no such screen. Instead, LW v 11 opened in Discovery Mode, which I'm hoping is a good thing, because it did open, and I can run it on my computer, at least in Discovery Mode. Would anyone know how I can find the Splash Screen, so I can jot down the required number, in order to get the required info necessary to run the full, non-Discovery Mode version of the v 11 trial?

Thanks!

Markc
10-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Click about Modeler (or Layout) to bring up the screen :)
And FYI you will see a massive change from 8.5

ShadowMystic
10-16-2012, 11:52 AM
When it pops up and say discovery edition. That is the splash screen.

THREEL
10-16-2012, 12:26 PM
I tried clicking all over the screen in both Modeler and Layout and nothing happened. I'm not sure, but I don't think the Product Lock number is the serial number that NewTek requires to run the trial version. Here's a copy of the screen they say has the number in the lower left corner:

Markc
10-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Try unplugging your dongle, maybe this is preventing LW 11 from going into trial mode!

THREEL
10-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Try unplugging your dongle, maybe this is preventing LW 11 from going into trial mode!

Hmmm... This is LightWave Supports reply to the problem: "Sounds like you might have a dongle plugged in - do you? If you do, unplug it. LightWave11 sees the dongle and tries to use it. You'll have to keep it out for whenever you want to explore the trial version after you register it." I think you may have hit the nail on the head Markc. I haven't tried it, yet. I may wait until tomorrow to try at this point. Do you know if the trial version is just a straight 30 calendar days of use, or is it 30 actual useage days. I wish it was the latter, because there may be some days that I may try out the features very little, or not at all. Also, does anyone know of any good sites, or videos that will help one explore the new and improved features?

Markc
10-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Usually it's 30 days from first use/activation.
Even after 30 days it will still work just in discovery mode!
There are some videos on lightwave3d site.

THREEL
10-21-2012, 01:39 AM
Ok! I was able to get the number I needed to obtain the license.key. I've tried to "drop" in this number as suggested on the Splash Screen, but I must not be putting it in the proper spot, because LW 11 trial just stays in Discovery Mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Matt
10-21-2012, 02:59 AM
Ok! I was able to get the number I needed to obtain the license.key. I've tried to "drop" in this number as suggested on the Splash Screen, but I must not be putting it in the proper spot, because LW 11 trial just stays in Discovery Mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You should be able to drop it anywhere in the window that opens up when you first run LightWave. Ensure your dongle isn't it, and maybe just clear out any license files temporarily, in case they are conflicting.

Give us a shout if you still can't get it in trial mode.

THREEL
10-21-2012, 03:50 AM
Thanks Matt! Of course, I did get it figured out right after, I asked the question on this thread. I ended up copying and pasting the key number into a Word Pad file, and dropped that in the Splash Screen window. I think it may have worked the first time I tried this method. I just couldn't see that it had switched from Discovery Mode to trial Mode. :D I was wondering is there any content for the v 11 trial edition? I would like to be able to work with some objects and scenes made in v 11, so, I can see how the workflow goes. I'm used to 8.5. I'm sure there are plenty of differences. :)

dwburman
10-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Threel, log into the lightwave3d.com site and check your account page. The content and manual downloads are in the Registered Products section of my account page, so they might be in yours as well.

THREEL
10-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Threel, log into the lightwave3d.com site and check your account page. The content and manual downloads are in the Registered Products section of my account page, so they might be in yours as well.

Thanks Dana! I guess I'm used to the content coming with the disc. Didn't think about it being a different download. :D BTW~Does anyone know where I would add a pre-made motion file in v 11? I know how to do it in v 8.5, but the way you would accomplish this must have changed in v 11, unless I'm just missing it, somehow. I've opened the fractured bridge scene, and it doesn't do anything. So, I figured there must be a motion file to add to it. I could be wrong about that I guess.