PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Creative Cloud

DrStrik9
10-16-2012, 10:02 AM
I debated with myself on this for quite some time. Today I found you can get ALL their apps for $29.99/month for a year (followed by $49.99/yr) if you own any Creative Suite (3 or later). $360/yr is hard to beat, and even $600/yr is hard to beat, if you need Photoshop, After Effects, Premier, Illustrator, InDesign (I need em all), and more, to stay up with the tech. So I bit the bullet.

I think Adobe is smart to offer this, as most people I know have bought a CS and NOT upgraded each year, as the few additions are hard to justify for full upgrade price each year. My last set was CS5, design suite only. Now I'll have the most current of EVERYTHING they offer, at least half of which I probably won't use. But if I need it, it's there. Anxious to try their sound editor too.

I guess we'll see how high the price goes in the long run ...

raymondtrace
10-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Recognize that this is not a perpetual license. When you stop paying, your apps no longer work and you won't be able to edit your native Adobe documents. To access these files, you will need to resubscribe or buy an entirely new perpetual license of CS. The last time I checked, there was no upgrade path from the subscription back to the traditional perpetual license. You went down a one-way street.

The Creative Cloud is a good deal if you are an employer/studio that has a transient workforce.

Red_Oddity
10-16-2012, 11:28 AM
I think (correct me if i'm wrong) you can install the cloud versions next to the traditional 'node locked' versions.

For EU users that also own a studio their 'cloud' solution is still damn expensive (around 90 euros a month per user with a minimal 1 year subscription), so around 1000 euros per user per year (which is around 1300 USD)

Still, it is an improvement over their previous antiquated customer unfriendly licensing method (never understood why floating licenses / FlexLM was such an impossible task for Adobe.)

raymondtrace
10-16-2012, 12:35 PM
I think (correct me if i'm wrong) you can install the cloud versions next to the traditional 'node locked' versions.

That is true. But in a situation like Michael's, I believe he has given up any further upgrade options from his CS5. Once you use your CS5 license to upgrade to the cloud, you can no longer use that CS5 license to upgrade to anything else (perpetual licenses of CS6, CS7, etc.). You are on the creative cloud track from now on.

The thing that keeps me from going to the creative cloud is the inability to truly control my files.

In ten years, you could fire up your perpetual license of CS5 to open an InDesign document created in IDCS5. If that document was created in anything newer from the creative cloud, you'd have to be an active Adobe subscriber to open and edit it. And that is assuming that Adobe is still marketing InDesign. Note the demise of FreeHand, GoLive, etc.

Somewhere in the Adobe FAQs, there is a statement about discontinuing products. It says something to the effect of 'if we decide to discontinue a product, we will offer current subscribers the ability to turn their cloud license into a perpetual license'. But if you have allowed your subscription to lapse, you are out of luck when the product is discontinued. Your design files are locked, out of your own reach.

EDIT: and to clarify why the CS5 (even if installed along with the newer CS6 from Creative Cloud) is a partly lost cause... Many document formats are version specific. InDesign CS5 will not open an InDesign CS6 document... unless you had the forethought to downsave/export from CS6 to CS5 format while you were still a subscriber.

DrStrik9
10-16-2012, 04:33 PM
These are all valid points/observations.

I reasoned that by entering into the Cloud contract, I'll be paying less than the traditional annual upgrade price, plus getting other tools I didn't have before (couldn't afford), without the initial investment in each. I'm not an employer anymore, but this seemed like a decent choice for me as an individual artist. I needed After Effects desperately, had allowed my very old license to elapse several years ago, and didn't want to shell out $999 for a new perpetual license. So it turns out looking "almost free" to me. :+)

Additionally, I do a lot of design work, use Illustrator daily, and as I run in 64-bit, the CS5 version is like trying to swim in molasses compared to the CS6 version (a VERY welcome improvement). Also, I'll be upgrading my system next year, so will need to keep relatively current with tools, as OS's move forward annually also.

The only real risk I see is if Adobe decides to raise the subscription price substantially. But if they do that, they'll certainly lose credibility as well as business, so it's a two-sided risk.

I've traditionally only upgraded Creative Suites every other year. If I bought a CS Production Suite, it costs $1899, which is more than three years in current subscription costs, plus to keep current I'd have to also pay for my every-other-year upgrades. After the initial year at $30/mo, $50/mo thereafter looks cheap to me.

I'm sorry the EU prices are so high, but I suspect the difference is VAT, right?

I'm not trying to sell anyone on this idea; I was just kind of excited to get all these new tools and toys at such a substantially lower price than buying perpetual licenses. And I'm not planning to stop creative development anytime soon. :+)

Cheers

dsol
10-16-2012, 05:10 PM
I have two CS licenses and bought into the Creative Cloud. As others have said, it's a hell of a deal. I mainly use After Effects and Premiere Pro, but Photoshop, Illustrator, inDesign and Dreamweaver are very useful on occasion (I don't use them often enough to justify upgrading very often normally)

m.d.
10-16-2012, 09:13 PM
I upgraded for $349.....or 13 months worth of cloud
I was tempted by creative cloud, but I hate the idea of never owning that software....once i stop paying, or if there is a worthless upgrade that I choose not to do (doubtful as adobe is pretty good) I lose the software....
where as buying the upgrade, for whatever reason if things change in my life I always own CS6 for the rest of my life....

But not knocking the deal...I was very tempted...and it is a great deal with the extra apps....just not for me yet....
But if i was just starting out, and not upgrading I probably would have went for it.....

Silkrooster
10-17-2012, 01:00 AM
I am still debating. Currently I have the CS5 Master Suite. And price wise, it is about equal. Every two years I pay between 800 to 1000. I kind of like having the choice of waiting a second year if needed. Thats 4 to 500 in between time I could spend else where.
The thing is the cloud has extras that should be the master, hence master. I don't really need the cloud for storage, I already have microsoft and google's though I don't know how long their free will stay free. I know microsoft wants money, so I figure sooner or later that will change. Probably at the end of my 1 year MSDN subscription.
Anywho I am getting off topic. so...

Philbert
10-17-2012, 01:29 AM
I too really hate the the idea that if I stop paying I lose the software. If I go without work (or good paying work) for a while I lose the software so no working on a demo reel and possibly having a hard time if a project does suddenly come in.

Silkrooster
10-17-2012, 02:11 AM
It kind of looks like they are pushing out hobbyist.

RedRowan
10-17-2012, 03:30 AM
For the place where I work I have spoken to my managers about this and think it would be great for us as it would mean we always have access to the most up to date versions, we are still on CS3 here.

For my personal copy though I am undecided. The idea of losing access to everything if I have to stop my subscription for some reason does not sit well with me.

Steve

Red_Oddity
10-17-2012, 04:54 AM
The price difference is part Cloud Team Ready (companies can not use the normal Cloud versions, unless off course your company only uses one Adobe program at a time) and part the usual Adobe 'f**k you because we can' price hike.
VAT is 21% added on top of that price yes, but as a company you get the VAT back at the end of the fiscal period, so (and i just checked to be sure) the price at our local reseller is 840 euros ex. VAT, so around 1100 USD (meaning the price hike this time is only 260 USD, so only 30% instead of the old 200%, which i guess in this case can be called progress.)

Also, my reseller said that you can do a monthly Team Ready subscription as well, but then the price goes up even more.

Areyos Alektor
10-17-2012, 06:51 AM
It's a different (and future) direction: it isn't investing in software, appeal is made to a service and not a purchase of property. In the same way as the Internet connection. For it, if we don't pay it no longer has access to anything. It's the same.

The subscription is 62€ with a 1 year commitment. This is for a dual license and flexible enough (is installed on as many machine you want there just Activate on and off). You can mix: PC/PC, PC/MAC, MAC/MAC.

It takes about 5 years for financial cost is equivalent in the purchase of a license + update or a Creative Cloud subscription. In 5 years it's likely that there will be no box version.

raymondtrace
10-17-2012, 07:28 AM
It's a different (and future) direction...

Absolutely right. We will see more of this. This model is more profitable for software developers and keeps shareholders happy as stock sales don't fluctuate randomly around product release dates. Adobe is taking direction from the 3D design market that has seen some success with temporary licenses and software as a service. I wonder if Newtek is also moving this way as they abandon the dongle.

Fausto
10-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Additionally, I do a lot of design work, use Illustrator daily, and as I run in 64-bit, the CS5 version is like trying to swim in molasses compared to the CS6 version (a VERY welcome improvement). Also, I'll be upgrading my system next year, so will need to keep relatively current with tools, as OS's move forward annually also.

As for Illustrator CS6, my experience has been the exact opposite. As far as I'm concerned, it is a total POS!
It's buggy, it has memory leaks, and the fixes are slow to come. The machines that I have it installed on, are 2X i7 980x with 24GB of ram, one has a GTX 690, (4GB) the other a Quadro 4000 (2GB) SSDs (256) and over 4TB or fast storage and the performance and screen redraw is terrible for some of the applications in CS6, the worst being Illustrator (64). I've decided to never upgrade my Adobe Master Suite again never giving them another penny of my money, look for alternatives in the future and tell as many as would listen how crappy a company Adobe are... They're right down there with apple in my books. In my opinion, supporting their creative cloud is the thin edge of the wedge and I hope it fails miserably, I think anyone that signs up for it should be shunned publically. :)

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4707031#4707031