PDA

View Full Version : Fracture tool issues

Brötje
10-16-2012, 04:56 AM
Hi everone,

I have a weird problem with the Fracture tool. I'm breaking up this very high resolution mesh ( did a bake of the displacement and all, so dense mesh! ) and I need to break it up. The problem is that after going over it with the Fracture tool I get these strange spikes in the mesh. It seems Fracture displaces some points to another position, outside of the original geometry. What can cause this?

3DGFXStudios
10-16-2012, 05:05 AM
It happens to me all the time. What I do is tessellate the stuff with julliene2 so that it has a grid over it. It's still not perfect but the big spikes are gone. Now you have just some little spikes ;)

lardbros
10-16-2012, 06:10 AM
Yeah, need to send my model to Newtek to get them check it out. Modelled a shed, fractured it... rubbish. Sent it over to 3dsmax with the voronoi fracture (free plugin) and it managed it perfectly.

The downside of the 3dsmax one is that it doesn't do fully enclosed shell meshes like a shelled ball etc. Whereas the LW one works fine with these.

Unfortunately the only way is to use the julienne tool as 3dgfx says

DrStrik9
10-16-2012, 08:30 AM
This bug ruins fracture for me mostly. I fogzbugged it at LW 10. Send in another report, and maybe they'll fix it! :)

3DGFXStudios
10-16-2012, 10:43 AM
I hope they'll fix it fast because in it's current state it's useless. Also it's really really slow. When I look at my CPU activity it's doing almost nothing but the progress bar in lw is crawling forward like a snail. Not even one thread is at full speed.

3DGFXStudios
10-16-2012, 10:51 AM
double post...... damn slow forum!

lardbros
10-16-2012, 05:08 PM
If everyone who dislikes this about the fracture plugin sends a fogbugz report... with content, then it'll get added as a definite fix. Otherwise it's just 3 guys moaning in a forum :D