PDA

View Full Version : Image Mapping problem!

malikai666
10-30-2003, 04:01 PM
Hey Guys
what is the correct way to do this basically I want the text or mapped movie to go with the contour of the 3d plains, like a light board (stockmarket etc.)
you can see Im almost there but the edges are stretched. does any one know the correct way to do this. Im doing the movie in ae and the text basically goes from left to right, and I want it to travel on the 3d object like it does in the ae movie.
Ive tried pretty much everything.
This image is with a uv map. Ive tried the different axis but still get the stretch.
But if I map it say to the Z axis it does the same thing just on the Z planes

drclare
10-30-2003, 08:57 PM
I think i know why this is happening, but im not quite sure if i can explain it. It looks like section of polygons that the texture is streching over is streched itself. What i mean is it looks like that section of polygons is actually longer than the other segments of your model. Did you stech those polygons after you created the UV map or before. If you created your UV map, but then streched those polygons, that would also make that sections of the texture stretch, since it is basically pasted right onto the polys. Any distortion to the polygons will then result in the same distortion of the texture map. If you had it modeled as is and then created you UV map and got this problem, then i don't really know what is going on. Does this make sense? If so, i would imagine the correct way to do it would be to create a new UV with the model the way it is now, and then re-map your movie to it. Hope this helps.

malikai666
10-31-2003, 11:12 AM
yeah it was already that way when I made My UV map. but the only thing I can think of is trying to make the movie roughly the same size as the object as far as lenght goes. if you come up with something let e know.

jrd
10-31-2003, 11:48 AM
it's hard to explain, but i think the problem is that even though you are uv mapping, it still is looking at it as a plane (i assume you used planar uv). so when it gets to the 90 degree corner it doesnt see it and stretches the pixels till it comes to a side it is facing again. if your change one of your views to uv map and select points you can see whats happening on your perspective view. anyways......

i know this works and you can try it IF I CAN EXPLAIN IT WELL. as long as your planes, buildings are at 90 angles and they are square with the origin (the camera angle doesn't matter and can be changed). do a planar image map using the z axis, then rotate the H(eading) 45 degrees. auto size the movie and you will have to play with the vertical height to get it the size you want. then by repeating and animating the x position the movie will run along the planes without distorting around the corners. i hope i explained it correctly and i've gotten it to work, the only thing is your corners need to be 90 degrees and have it start square.

hope i explained it and it works for you.

jrd

eblu
10-31-2003, 12:33 PM
jrd.

follow these steps.

make the wall, flat. build it flat and then uv map it BEFORE you bend it into shape.

then bend it into shape.

uv mapping uses a "virtual" cartesian coordinate system, (where u and v are much like x and y) that is not related to 3-d space, but... to get the mapping, it uses standard Image mapping techniques... so if you want the image to follow the contours the best way is to create a uv map on a flat Object

Triple G
10-31-2003, 01:02 PM
Alternatively, if you've already got the object built, you could make an endomorph of the object in a flattened state, then make a planar UV map of this endomorph. Delete the morph, but the UV map will remain, and your texture will not stretch when applied (though it might need some tweaking).