PDA

View Full Version : Audio sources: whooshes, clatters, bumps, thuds, and whirs?

jeric_synergy
10-15-2012, 06:08 PM
People care to share their favorites sources of audio effects?

For instance, that clattering, klacking sound Portal 2 makes when it does that tiled wipe? Where does one find those things???

Tnx

DrStrik9
10-15-2012, 10:04 PM
I have a bunch of old "sound effects" cd's ... and I often use this new-fangled thing called the internet ... I think it's called "Google" or something. :D

Seriously, you're right, sound is a whole world all by itself. A sound editor is a must, where you can tune and layer various sources to massage them into what works. I use Logic Pro when I'm in that zone. And there are a slew of free sound effects on the net. Also try using a newsreader and usenet: alt.binaries.mp3.sound-effects. But bring your sleeping bag and pup-tent. It's a rat hole like no other. :) Alternatively, get a portable recorder and make your own.

jeric_synergy
10-15-2012, 10:57 PM
>|^P

:) That's the deal: by favorite, I meant to convey "least time wasting". For instance, freesound.org (?) has plenty of sounds, but IMO they are A) not the highest quality, and B) not all that well indexed, although Buddha knows what that would be. We used to laugh at the descriptions of needle-drop music, but w/o listening to it, how you gonna know?

DrStrik9
10-16-2012, 09:30 AM
>|^P

:) That's the deal: by favorite, I meant to convey "least time wasting". For instance, freesound.org (?) has plenty of sounds, but IMO they are A) not the highest quality, and B) not all that well indexed, although Buddha knows what that would be. We used to laugh at the descriptions of needle-drop music, but w/o listening to it, how you gonna know?

Yes, I understand. My "favorite" is to almost always build/edit the sound myself, to get it the way I want it. My long-term solution was to collect sound-effects CD's, and tweak each one for each application. Likewise for typefaces, I use newsgroups and spend many hours downloading GB's of faces, then spend hours weeding out the majority. It's slow and laborious asset-collection, and I guess it's the user's choice as to whether that's time-wasting or not. YMMV. :)

Ryan Roye
10-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Agreed, freesound.org is a decent resource, but tread carefully there as some of the content you can download there is not freely usable. Most of it is though, and it can contain SFX that is hard to reproduce, such as heavy machinery or other industrial stuff. I never, ever use it for common stuff though.

I create most of my SFX as well. For example, you can make some decent sounding electrical noises by rubbing a dry inflated balloon with your hands, turning the pitch down and applying various filters to it such as "phaser" in audacity. Utilization of basic household items is the way to go... like glass bottles, soda bottles, paper, plastic wrappers, books, velcro straps, metal folding chairs, chairs with wheels (use with hard surface for a good grinding noise!), cardstock paper for heavy wind, your breath, pocket change, plywood, anything from a "scrap" area, metal pipes (under your kitchen sink if you don't have any) anything that makes a clicking sound, etc. etc. etc. You can get good SFX without spending a dime... just use what's in your house!

The cool thing about making your own SFX is that you eventually wind up with your own library of SFX which you know you can freely use... you could even end up selling it. Scouring through websites for free SFX i've found is often a slower process than just creating it yourself due to how difficult it is to search for it (you have to listen to every clip you search for, otherwise you have no idea if it is usable or not).

Sometimes you can come up with unexpectedly cool sounds by playing with pitch-shift extremes and tempo adjustments... I took an old voltimeter's dial, turned it a bunch of times (for the click noise) and then turned the pitch way down to simulate the "pop" of flourescent lights in a large room. Experiment experiment experiment!!

jeric_synergy
10-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Trouble is, I pretty much hate working with sound, and I don't have any form of recorder.

:hijack: So, let me REVISIT/unhijack/revise my original question:

People care to share their favorites sources of pre-recorded audio effects?

cagey5
10-16-2012, 12:14 PM
SOme on here aren't bad ..
http://www.therecordist.com/free-sfx

Amurrell
10-16-2012, 04:21 PM
There was another source that I have somewhere but you can search for a lot of sounds on here http://www.findsounds.com/ISAPI/search.dll

Here's another http://www.freesound.org/