PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing configs (Modeler and Layout)

Sande
10-15-2012, 01:41 AM
I have an issue with Lightwave (both modeler and layout) that it loses it's configs - when starting Modeler or Layout after a boot it (sometimes, not everytime) starts with vanilla default configs, all the 3rd party plugins, menus, shortcuts, everything is missing and have to be added again.

I've had numerous different version installed over the years, including Core, 9.6, 10 and now 11. I thought that the problem was caused by those previous versions and I uninstalled all the other versions, so that I currently have only 11.0.3, but I still couldn't get rid of the problem. The same problem has actually plagued pretty much all of those versions. To my knowledge, there shouldn't be any conflicting older config files left. Trying to start modeler with administrator privileges does no difference. Disappearance of those configs seems pretty much random - I haven't found any clear pattern to when it happens. I always start the modeler and layout the same way: from the icon at the desktop.

This morning my modeler had lost it's configs again - layout seems to still remember it's configs, this time. I checked the \.NewTek\LightWave\11.0\configs folder and LWEXT11.CFG, LWHUB11.CFG and LWM11.CFG (modeler configs, I presume?) show Date modified matching this morning - has LW overwritten my previous configs for some reason?

Anyway, any help appreciated.

erikals
10-15-2012, 02:21 PM
i've have had this problem for years, what i do >

-save the Layout Shortcuts (Alt F9)
-save the Layout Menu (Alt F10)
-save the Modeler Shortcuts (Alt F9)
-save the Modeler Menu (Alt F10)

whenever i have a LW crash or such i reload these saved configs.
(no other fix afaik)

nickdigital
10-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Also you can manually redirect your config files via the -c flag. This way you avoid different lw versions from writing over the same config.

Sande
10-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Thanks for suggestions.

Yes, I have all the configs backed up and can reload them, but it's a bit of hassle to first open and adjust all the windows to where I like them (in Modeler, for example, I have Layers, Statistics and Numeric-windows always open on the side), then add all the plugins and finally reload all the configs - just to do it all over again next day.

I've had -c flag in the past, but it didn't do any difference - even when all my different LW versions had pretty much the same configs, they were still cleared to defaults from time to time and had to be restored.

erikals
10-16-2012, 07:54 AM
yep, hope they fix it...

there are snap/grid programs that can speed it up a bit though >
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?130435-quot-Gridy-quot-cool-grid-based-window-size-snap-for-Windows

i guess i should fogbugz it again...