PDA

View Full Version : Polygon Bug ? - Help

Source
10-13-2012, 03:04 PM
http://s15.postimage.org/qc3un6am3/polygon.png

I was wondering why the polygon is "flipped" when going into sub -d mode ?

If i try to flip it when in 'base' it is flipped inwards when going into sub - d mode...

It isnt really a huge problem for the work or model itself because it looks ok , but any ideas on what it could be ?

Tried using align and looking in the poly statistics , nothing unormal to my knowledge at least .

Thanks

Source

nickdigital
10-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Are the points that make that polygon crossed up?

probiner
10-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Having a concave or 3 colinear vertices in a polygon (especially if they are the first three) is something that can give you some troubles, anyway, not much to see here, I think, the normal just flipped due to bad calculation.
Run this plug and see if it fixes it, I use it many times for LW's bad normals miscalculations.
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=20e5fbf4

But attention to the modeling.

Source
10-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys , i was just about to delete this post . Yeah they crossed barely , should have seen it...

Best forum ever

akaracquel
05-25-2013, 11:18 AM
I've run into this a few times, my brain always calls it "The Magician's Rabbit" (now you see the polygon, now you don't -...in reverse). Is there a formal or commonly known colloquial name that is used for when this happens?

djwaterman
05-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Flipped. It could be genuinely flipped, or non planar, or two of the points are overlapping, go out of Sub-D to see what the story is to fix it.

Danner
05-25-2013, 01:01 PM
I've run into this a few times, my brain always calls it "The Magician's Rabbit" (now you see the polygon, now you don't -...in reverse). Is there a formal or commonly known colloquial name that is used for when this happens?
I call them many names but none are apropiate for this forum ;o)

probiner
05-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Normals break easy on LW so I have Normal Corrector script in a hotkey before I have to go in and disect what is happening or so that tools based on normals don't miscalculate (example Flatten or Untangle). I normally don't flip because they aren't actually flipped, but it has happened.

Cheers