PDA

View Full Version : STILL? Modeler ignores own Content Directory setting

jeric_synergy
10-12-2012, 04:53 PM
I can't believe this is still messed up: Launch Modeler, verify Content Directory, OPEN file..... it STILL points at the last directory used to load an object.

WHY can't the whole Content Directory thing get sorted? It'd be more helpful if it didn't exist at all, then at least we wouldn't try to use it. :devil:

Hail
10-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Oh dear.. there we go again.. :D

colkai
10-13-2012, 05:53 AM
What if you open modeller, set the content directory, close it then open it? Does that work?
It's a work around, but such is life.

jeric_synergy
10-13-2012, 06:31 PM
What if you open modeller, set the content directory, close it then open it? Does that work?
Nope.

This CAN'T be that hard: I think they just aren't attending to it.

Just to characterize this further: if you set the CD in Layout, then launch LWM thru Layout, it works correctly. However, setting the CD in LWM seems to be a waste of time, since it doesn't look where it's 'pointed'.

Not only doesn't it not look in the "CD/Objects" folder, which it should, it doesn't even look in the root of the listed CD, which would be a simple-minded error. NOOOOooooooo, it looks at whatever folder it used last.

LAME.

And the whole "last used folder" thing has been discussed before for saving non-appropriate data, like background image setting files.

colkai
10-14-2012, 03:11 AM
No? Really, well that is crap. As you say, failure to react to a basic setting should be a pretty darned obvious thing code wise.
Heck, I use settings left, right and center in my code and rocket science it isn't. I thought they were supposed to be improving the code? This is a pretty basic mistake to make.

Cageman
10-14-2012, 03:56 AM
Hmm... this does sound strange... I've actually never experienced what you are experiencing. I'm not saying that you are wrong here, but I do wonder how/why it works both at my homecomputer as well as at work.

Do you use custom paths for your configs?

jeric_synergy
10-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Cageman, I wanted to check so I launched Modeler (alone). Try following these steps and tell me what happens on your system:

Loaded an object.
Altered and closed object.
Changed LWM Current Directory
Closed LWM & Hub
Re-launched LWM
Verified altered CD
Tried to open object (see jpg)

So, yes, it's consistent, and I'm using the default directories.

Markc
10-14-2012, 10:14 AM
I just tried the steps listed.
All works fine for me :stumped:
The new CD shows on restart of modeler and load object takes me to that folder.
Are you loading an object with pull down or using a shortcut?
I have default Menu Layout if that makes any difference!

colkai
10-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Daft suggestion ... does it work if you fire modeller without the hub? Just wondering if that is sticking it's nose in where it ain't wanted.

jeric_synergy
10-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Daft suggestion ... does it work if you fire modeller without the hub? Just wondering if that is sticking it's nose in where it ain't wanted.
That actually sounds very plausible.... hmmm, I usually launch LWM from the Pinned icon on the taskbar, lessee.... where would the "no hub" parameters go?? (There's no 'Properties' in the pinned icons.)

(Even if that works, IMO it would still qualify as a bug, since it's DISPLAYING a different CD than it's referencing.)

colkai
10-15-2012, 03:24 AM
This is how I tend to launch LW. To be honest, I very rarely use the hub, for what I do, it's just more of a pain than anything.
My shortcut path is as follows...
K:\Lightwave96\Programs\modeler.exe -pK:\Lightwave96\Configs -cK:\Lightwave96\Configs -0
,,with that last '-0' being key (Zero not 'oh'). As you can see, I have a custom config area too, just makes it wasy to move my stuff between machines.

I don't deny that it may be a bug though, but if it's been assigned a low priority, at least this may help you if it works. :)

3DGFXStudios
10-15-2012, 03:55 AM
Not really helping but no problem here. I also launch lw from a pinned icon on the taskbar and use the hub with default settings. Might be some UA settings in windows?

Waves of light
10-15-2012, 05:01 AM
I too had similar problems with content directory and loading in my default scene, whenever I start up Layout.

I run Modeler 32bit, Modeler 64 and Layout 64bit all from the taskbar.

I played around with a few settings which I think included the following (this may or may not be of help to you):

1. I ran the hub as administrator
2. I ran Modeler and Layout as administrator from icons on desktop
3. Opened General options in Modeler, choose content directory.
3. I created a box, saved it as any old model, saved it in prefered content directory.
4. Setup a scene, saved as default.lws inside prefered content directory
5. Closed modeler and layout.
6. Reopened both, checked content directory in modeler and check default scene loaded in layout.

Ricky.

cagey5
10-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Nope.

This CAN'T be that hard: I think they just aren't attending to it.

Just to characterize this further: if you set the CD in Layout, then launch LWM thru Layout, it works correctly. However, setting the CD in LWM seems to be a waste of time, since it doesn't look where it's 'pointed'.

Not only doesn't it not look in the "CD/Objects" folder, which it should, it doesn't even look in the root of the listed CD, which would be a simple-minded error. NOOOOooooooo, it looks at whatever folder it used last.

LAME.

And the whole "last used folder" thing has been discussed before for saving non-appropriate data, like background image setting files.

Just to confirm I have exactly the same problem. For instance, download some content from one of the threads here, to have a look at some others work. I normally just download it to deskyop for a quick look. Next time Open Modeler, make something new, click on save and have to navigate from that folder on the desktop back to the default folder THAT MODELER ALREADY HAS AS IT'S DEFAULT CONTENT DIRECTORY. Needs to be better, and surely it can't be difficult.

jeric_synergy
10-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Thank god cagey can back me up: I'd hate to think these problems were unique to my system.

THANKS, cagey!