PDA

View Full Version : Need school suggestion for Bay Area.

ShadowMystic
10-10-2012, 11:21 PM
I need to finish school, but after DAVE fell through I need a new school. The DAVE of the bay area. A little cheaper would be nice. Looking for any thoughts or suggestions. Just getting desperate moved here for a job, but never get a response. Looking to get that little piece of paper as well as fill the gaps in my skill set and maybe get out of this area if necessary...

Surrealist.
10-11-2012, 01:08 AM
If you are going to go the school route - which I do not personally buy into -I feel that a school with a more rounded art curriculum as well as filmmaking and computer animation is a good choice.

Here is one:

http://www.artinstitutes.edu/san-francisco/media-arts-602.aspx

My nephew went there.

And here is a list of Pixar recommended schools:

http://www.aimeemajor.com/anim/pixarcollege.html

Being where you are you can also think about Valencia (6 hours south) where Cal Arts is.

ShadowMystic
10-11-2012, 01:57 AM
If you are going to go the school route - which I do not personally buy into -I feel that a school with a more rounded art curriculum as well as filmmaking and computer animation is a good choice.

Here is one:

http://www.artinstitutes.edu/san-francisco/media-arts-602.aspx

My nephew went there.

And here is a list of Pixar recommended schools:

http://www.aimeemajor.com/anim/pixarcollege.html

Being where you are you can also think about Valencia (6 hours south) where Cal Arts is.

I'm not necessarily going to but I need to consider it. Demo reels sent out with no response is disheartening and I need a job now. I don't have time to work months on a serious project to put in my demo reel, but I'm working on improving it. just need money and time. Neither of which I have. Fun times.

nickdigital
10-11-2012, 02:48 AM
I went to Cogswell in Sunnyvale. I think they're primarily Maya based now though. Good luck with your job search.

nickdigital
10-11-2012, 02:54 AM
Double post.

ShadowMystic
10-11-2012, 03:15 AM
I went to Cogswell in Sunnyvale. I think they're primarily Maya based now though. Good luck with your job search.

How would you rate the quality? I need to learn Maya; there is no LW here.

ShadowMystic
10-11-2012, 03:41 AM
My alternative is get a Lynda.com sub and just work my way through program by program.

nickdigital
10-11-2012, 07:40 AM
How would you rate the quality? I need to learn Maya; there is no LW here.

Well it's been a good 10+ years since I graduated so a lot has changed. Both at the school and in the industry. When I was there the teachers and students were practically learning at the same time because 3d was so new. The number of teachers who have industrial experience now is much greater now. The quantity and quality of online resources is amazing now. Schedule a tour to judge for yourself. I would suggest that you judge the course based on the quality of the work the student's work. Not the fancy lab or anything like that.

Another alternative would be gnomon.

Surrealist.
10-11-2012, 07:50 AM
So I am lost. You don't have time, you need a job now, you need money and you are looking for a school which would take both time and money and for which you'd not have time for if you got a job which you have to because you need the money? :D

It's OK, I am not nagging you. I understand. It's called life. :)

So, I have a suggestion. If you need to learn Maya you can get a hold of an educational version to put together a demo reel. You don't need to be affiliated with a school to do that. Not often known, but it is true.

There is always a way out of a catch 22. In this case, I am afraid there is only one way out. And that is to have a great example of real good work. Unfortunately, that is going to take time - but not necessarily money. And if you think you need to learn Maya, that does not have to cost a lot of money. In fact you can probably find some great books at the SF main library near market street. Read the manual, find as many tutorials online etc. A year subscription to a good tutorial site would set you back well under 500 dollars which is a great deal for the amount of education you'd be getting and there are tons of tutorials on Maya. Digital Tutors is a place I have found very useful. But there are many sites.

So to sum it up I think you have two things to focus on:

1) Improve your traditional art skills. Drawing, painting, etc.
2) Get as proficient as you can with a software of your choice

Both of these will lead to a great reel which shows great work. If you truly have a reel that shows great work, a job will come. But trying to do it out of order can be frustrating and futile.

If you can't imagine how to do that now, then perhaps take a step back and see what you have to do to get your life in order so you can at some point in the future.

Unfortunately this is one of those areas that there is no real way to shortcut in my opinion.

digefxgrp
10-11-2012, 12:20 PM
"I went to Cogswell in Sunnyvale"

I thought 'Cogswell' just made cogs. :0)

nickdigital
10-11-2012, 12:23 PM
"I went to Cogswell in Sunnyvale"

I thought 'Cogswell' just made cogs. :0)

They still teach that but there aren't many students signing up for that program anymore. Industry is going more towards sprockets now.

ShadowMystic
10-11-2012, 03:21 PM
My first step is signing up for Lynda.com 7 day trial.