PDA

View Full Version : Net Loss

Richard Hebert
10-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

This one is for modeling gurus. I'm wanting to create a fishing net for a scene. I used a technique taught by William that gave nice results as long as the camera didn't toward or away from the model. The technique involves using a 2 point poly chain mesh and then applying render lines with a negative value. Great results until the camera moves away then the rendered lines look thicker. I know this isn't an error but rather just normal operation. If I need to create a net from actual polys what would be some ways to approach this? I hope the renders are helpful. As always, thanks for all the advice.

Richard

XswampyX
10-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Try FX_MetaLink?

I would do the simulation in a fresh scene and just save out your transformed mesh (net).

Have a look here :- 108479 It takes a while to load, so don't think Lightwave has crashed.

lertola2
10-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Since the net is flat you can extrude then use smooth shift to give thickness.

-Joe

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=108487&d=1349920364

Darth Mole
10-10-2012, 11:22 PM
If it's not being animated, could you use a really high-res texture map and alpha or clip map? You could model it in way you have, then simply render it out on black to create an alpha then use that to clip It out of a flat poly shape (the way video games do chain link fences, where it's simple alpha-mapped flat polys).

Beautiful work by the way...

Richard Hebert
10-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the tips guys! Unfortunately, the net will be animated and the camera will move over it so it will have to have some volume (though not very much). This scene file is stripped down modeling wise. There will be a plethora of activity in the flyover shot and textures,surfacing is still in experimental mode. So much to learn and try. Extruding is most likely the way to go and thanks for that tip. The previous net was pretty much done by hand and I wasn't looking forward to doing that twice. However, there are other elements in the complete scene that will definitely benefit from your recommended technique, Darth Mole. I attempted MetaLink on it once before but I think the problem was in the model that I had created. With the right model that may be the best approach. All the net will do is move about in the wind a little, nothing extravagant... yet.

Richard

dwburman
10-11-2012, 03:33 PM
To "fake" thickness you could use the texture/clip map method and just stack a few copies of the polys.

adk
10-11-2012, 05:13 PM
To "fake" thickness you could use the texture/clip map method and just stack a few copies of the polys.

I've used this a number of times & it can work really well in some instances :thumbsup: depends how close you want to get I guess.