PDA

View Full Version : Vector style

rekh
10-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Is it possible to duplicate the following style in Lightwave?

Note, I use LW 9.6 on an Imac. Thinking about upgrading to v11.

http://www.orderindebris.com/

Skonk
10-10-2012, 01:51 AM
There are several cel shading options within lightwave (accessed via the shaders tab in the surface editor; options are Super Cel Shader, BESM, Unreal) which when combined with Edge Rendering (object properties) gives you exactly the look seen on that page.

vismod
10-10-2012, 02:47 AM
An outstanding set of images!

As Skonk said ...

Best edge renders for LW probably come via UnReal, or a careful combo of LW edges + UnReal

Plus, have a look at some the rotating render examples - not all lines form along strict "edges", so either they're etched in via texture/geometry or maybe the polys there have a forced open (and therefore always line rendered) 'edge'.

No so sure about the thicker, more stylized outlines however ...

alexos
10-10-2012, 05:21 AM
There is also the dr Seuss technique developed by William and James, explained in the thread "Bronto Sketch Render"... Which I cannot seem to be able to find using the forum's search tool. Doh! Google...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?89592-Bronto-Sketch-Render

ADP.

nickdigital
10-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Unreal is great plugin for cel style but it's only for pc.

Skonk
10-10-2012, 03:25 PM
I still prefere super cell shader, with some tweaks :-)

rekh
10-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the insight, guys ... one of the many good things I remember about this community is the knowledge coupled with friendliness.

So looks like I'll have to play around with BESM, Super Cell shader; unreal for pc only (- drats -) and Edge Rendering.

Those sketch renderings look very cool!!!

Skonk
10-11-2012, 05:55 AM
Part of why I prefere Super Cel Shader is that it uses the surface for its colour, and just converts that colour into bands (rather than a smooth gradient) which is controllable from it's settings panel; where as the other options need gradients setting up and stuff and I find that to be more work.

I find it easier and quicker to get a nice Anime style look out of it compared to the others.

rekh
10-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Part of why I prefere Super Cel Shader is that it uses the surface for its colour, and just converts that colour into bands (rather than a smooth gradient) which is controllable from it's settings panel; where as the other options need gradients setting up and stuff and I find that to be more work.

I find it easier and quicker to get a nice Anime style look out of it compared to the others.

... created from the standard triceratops model that comes with just about every 3D prog, and tweaked using the free app called meshmixer.

Did as you suggested. Played around with super Cel Shader and went in on the edges from the object panel. With a littel playing around, I can see myself creating the same look as the images found on the link.

Okay, I'm an Animation Master user. Love the program. Where are the best sources for learning Spline modeling in LW?

nickdigital
10-19-2012, 10:20 PM
A YouTube search for spline and Lightwave returned this.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VOcyliN80sI

Splinegod uses splines a lot. Modeler really excels as a polygonal modeler so if you can learn poly modeling you'll get more out of the program.