PDA

View Full Version : processor upgrades?

gazmon
10-30-2003, 10:27 AM
hi all,
just thinking of upgrading my G4 667 mac with a Sonnet or Powerlogix processor upgrade. wondered if anyone knows of any problems with them when working in lightwave or do they work great?
cheers
Gaz

Jimzip
10-30-2003, 05:50 PM
I don't know about Lightwave, but on the side of the Panther box it says:
"Processor upgrade cards not supported."
Sorry if that's not much help ;) .

Ho hum..

Jimzip :D

mlinde
10-30-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Jimzip
"Processor upgrade cards not supported."
that's not news. Apple has never supported processor upgrades. However, there have been people with them who have successfully installed Panther. It's a cop-out, so if there is a problem, and you have a processor upgrade, Apple doesn't have to support you.

Thomas
10-31-2003, 02:15 AM
Sitting here on a Sonnet G4 1.2GHz upgrade (from a G4 533MHz) and it works like a charm with whatever you throw at it.

I think Apple's statement means if you have a pre-G3 computer...

Regards

gazmon
10-31-2003, 02:24 AM
thanks for that guys. I knew Apple said they didnt support them just wanted to hear from someoneone using one before I spent the cash.
Thomas, are you using OS 10.2?
Gaz

Thomas
10-31-2003, 02:37 AM
Yes, since Panther broke not only LW but Silverfast Ai as well, i switch back and forth between 10.2.8 and 10.3.

Silverfast I excpect to have a fix in next week, LW on the other hand...

gazmon
10-31-2003, 04:11 AM
wow, thanks for the quick reply.
think I'll stick with OS 10.2.4 (everything works for me in that so far!)and get the upgrade for now. I use Silverfast aswell so seems like the best option.
thanks for all the help
Gaz

Triple G
10-31-2003, 01:10 PM
I'm using a Sonnet Encore/ST G4 1GHz in my current machine, which was originally a G4/450. Runs Lightwave like a champ...installation was a snap, I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever since installing it over 6 months ago. :cool:

Zarathustra
11-01-2003, 04:02 PM
OWC did some benchmarks of Panther with upgrade cards (no Powerlogix. I guess they don't want to sel them anymore):
http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=/benchmarks/102403/main.html

I have a Powerlogix 1ghz and dual 1ghz card. The former is flawless. The latter I had to return to be "modded" and occasionaly it craps on me. I would say not to buy Powerlogix if for no other reason that they now farm out there tech support which is the lamest thing I've ever heard and doesn't make me, a customer, feel very secure.

Of course, wait for [8] since [7.5] doesn't play well with Panther.

Jimzip
11-01-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by mlinde
that's not news. Apple has never supported processor upgrades. However, there have been people with them who have successfully installed Panther. It's a cop-out, so if there is a problem, and you have a processor upgrade, Apple doesn't have to support you.

;) I was going to say that in my first post! I thought it was too long a response... Hehe.

Jimzip :D

gazmon
11-03-2003, 05:51 AM
As usual, lotsa good advice from everyone, I was veering towards Sonnet as I thought Powerlogix went out of business a while ago but Powerlogix seem to be cheaper and their dual cards were tempting. Still not sure wether to keep saving n get a new mac instead but thanks guys
Gaz

gazmon
11-03-2003, 08:42 AM
just had another thought.
Im using this machine mainly for modelling and scene set up (I render on another). It's very slow when using high polygons-would I get a better improvement upgrading my graphics card from a geforce 2 mx 32meg to a Geforce 4 ti 128 meg than upgrading my processor do you think?

Zarathustra
11-03-2003, 08:50 AM
The graphics card will help, but if you have a 2x AGP slot (like I do) then your upgrade options are not great.

mlinde
11-03-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by gazmon
just had another thought.
Im using this machine mainly for modelling and scene set up (I render on another). It's very slow when using high polygons-would I get a better improvement upgrading my graphics card from a geforce 2 mx 32meg to a Geforce 4 ti 128 meg than upgrading my processor do you think?
Even on a Model-only machine, the processor will pickup the graphics support at some point in the polygon count. However, for OGL accuracy the GeForce 4 Ti is better than the 2MX, 3 or the 4MX. Is ist $400 better? Depends on your pocketbook.
As for the Sonnet/PowerLogix thing, I agree with the pro-Sonnet folks, except that with a dual 800 under my desk, there's no single processor upgrade that makes it worthwhile. When I look at an upgrade, (performance/cost analysis) the forthcoming dual 1.42GHz PowerLogix card is the only one worth considering to me, although I am a bit leery of their track record with support. Since PowerLogix is the only dual processor upgrade company, they've got a good position, if they could just get their act together.

leapoffaith
11-04-2003, 12:49 PM
I don't think it'll matter about the processor card that much. You're already running a Panther-supported G4 before you add the processor upgrade. If you notice any instability with the processor upgrade installed, you can always revert to the old processor.

gazmon
11-11-2003, 10:02 AM
thanks for all the replies. Gone for the graphics card for now (get it tomorrow!) and hopefully in a couple of months get an upgrade card (maybe a decent job will come my way or the prices will go down!).
All going well that should keep me happy for a while and then get a snappy dual 4 ghz Mac with 512 meg card and 16000 meg ram :D
cheers
Gaz