PDA

View Full Version : Text bending on on a path

Orkman
10-30-2003, 10:26 AM
I need to have a sentence animate along a curved path. It need the letters to animate like a train so they bend around the curve.

Someone suggested the Spline Shift plugin, but it is in Japanese and difficult to figure out.

Isn't there anything native to Lightwave that allows text to bend and animate along a path?

Thanks!

Tom Wood
10-30-2003, 10:37 AM
I haven't tried them yet, but Serpent (page 9.37) or Align to Path (page 11.41) should do what you want.

TW

Orkman
10-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Ahhhh! Those just might do it!

Thanks Tom.

Orkman
10-30-2003, 10:57 AM
I am a newbie, so do I need to bring in a spline to animate on? Or do I just keyframe where it needs to be for both Serpent and Align to Path.

Thanks TOm.

hunter
10-30-2003, 11:36 AM
Not tryin' to be mean. You should really search the forums before asking but,
check here:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9256

Orkman
10-30-2003, 11:44 AM
Not mean at all. I actually had someone suggest that plugin if you read my first message, and it is all in Japanese and strange to figure out. If you have the time I would appreciate a spline shift explanation of how to do it.

In addition, I do have it installed, but need just a tad of help to see where to bring it up in layout...I don't see it under "generics."

Thanks!

thekho
10-30-2003, 12:20 PM
Why not using http://www.worldlingo.com/wl/pages/T1/G0/UP46167/P1/l/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html which will translate it for you

Tom Wood
10-30-2003, 12:38 PM
I haven't looked at either the plug-in or the in-house Lw features, so I'm not sure how to do it. I might start with adding a null to the scene and then keyframe the null to create a motion path. Then save that motion path and load it into the object that is supposed to follow the path, or maybe even just parent the object to the null. Experiment on a single word and simple path until you see how it works, then go for your larger scene.

(I've found that this experimental approach will save a ton of time and frustration because the logic behind the tools comes to the surface quicker this way. Figuring this stuff out is almost like trying to channel the mind of the people that wrote it.)

TW

hunter
10-30-2003, 12:47 PM
took me a little while and some brain strain. Model your text facing the x plane so it can travel along the z. (MAKE SURE IT IS ALL IN THE - Z BEHIND THE PIVOT POINT) send it to layout. in properties>deform>add displacement load the plugin. double click to open plugin interface. click the add button. set the number of anchor points you want (these are the control points on the curve) attach item (your text) hit ok. A new window appears you can selct your anchor points and and make the curve you want by moving them as you would any object. hint use the normalize curve button. The trans form tab is where you get your text moving. click the fix length button and open the E button next to position and add a key to the end and set at some distance setting. whatever you want. scrub the timeline. you'll see the numbers change but your text still ain't moving. scrub back to zero and click the set rest position. Now scrub the timeline.:)
play with all the other settings to see what they do.

Orkman
10-30-2003, 01:26 PM
Thanks! I downloaded and am trying it out.

I like the result of what it looks like!