PDA

View Full Version : Textures and Sketchfab

Philbert
10-09-2012, 11:02 AM
If you guys haven't heard of it there is a new site called Sketchfab (http://www.sketchfab.com) which allows you to upload and display 3D models, something like YouTube for 3D objects. They say they support many formats including LWO/LWS. However, on my models the specular and normal maps don't appear, even though I tried using LWO, OBJ, and even DAE. I talked to CÚdric, one of the co-owners and he says LightWave and a lot of other software doesn't export textures correctly. I thought maybe you guys could make better sense of it. You can see a couple of my models here (both are OBJ/MTL exports from Modeler):
http://skfb.ly/k4j32fe1d0

This is what he said about the textures:

Just for infos here your models materials
for the uzi model:

newmtl Details_Default
Ka 1 1 1
Ke 0 0 0
Kd 1 1 1
Ks 0 0 0
Ns 1000
Tr 0
d 1
Ni 1
Tf 1 1 1
map_Ka Objects/uzi_v001_Default_color.png
map_Ks Objects/uzi_v001_Default_specular.png

newmtl Main_gun_Default
Ka 1 1 1
Ke 0 0 0
Kd 1 1 1
Ks 0 0 0
Ns 1000
Tr 0
d 1
Ni 1
Tf 1 1 1
map_Ka Objects/uzi_v001_Default_color.png
map_Ks Objects/uzi_v001_Default_specular.png

it means that the first texture is used as ambient, [1,1,1] for the diffuse and the second texture is used for the specular. ambient + diffuse will display almost your model in white.

for the jedi model:

newmtl Exterior
Ka 0 0 0
Kd 1 1 1
Ks 0 0 0
Ni 1
Ns 790
Tf 1 1 1
d 1
map_Kd starfighter_gameres_Exterior_color.tga

newmtl Interior
Ka 0 0 0
Kd 1 1 1
Ks 0 0 0
Ni 1
Ns 620
Tf 1 1 1
d 1
map_Kd starfighter_gameres_Interior_color.tga

it means that there is only one diffuse texture used, so the normal map can't be displayed.

I thought the info may at least be helpful to NewTek.

jwiede
10-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't trust LW11's OBJ export at the moment, something is seriously awry within it. I've already fogged the group issues, you should definitely fog problems with the materials generated. Right now it is rather easy to compare its output against the OBJ/MTL spec and find "strangeness" (e.g. odd arrangements of sections/scoping, etc.). It's almost as if it is getting confused about what section its exporting, mid-export.

Philbert
10-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Well the same thing is happening with LWO and DAE so I don't think it's the same problem.

OnlineRender
10-09-2012, 11:44 AM
URGH forum hang double post

OnlineRender
10-09-2012, 11:46 AM
there site is awesome,highly recommend it, however regarding Lwiki webgl we have being doing a lot of testing regarding textures models basically what we do is convert the model on the fly so we can accept most model formats we also tweaked the colloda exporter for LW ....

but I can honeslty say textures export properly from LW .mtl although there structure may not support it . but we also accept jpg and other formats also our editors better :)