PDA

View Full Version : TC 455 AUX output to letterbox SD

DStoneburner
10-08-2012, 08:48 AM
I've ran into a problem that would be fixed if the Aux output was changed. I have to run video out of my TC 455 to a projector. The only way to get to this one projector is composite video, so my dilemma is when I run an HD show on the 455, I have the choices of SD 16:9 and SD 4:3. The 16:9 is fine if I can get to the projector in time to switch them to 16:9, but they are usually in 4:3 mode. If I send out 4:3 then it is center cropped, which is utterly useless when all the full screen graphics are 16:9. It would be much more useful if the aux was 4:3 letter-boxed out. This also burns me when recording to an external DVD recorder for live sports streams. We stream HD but the team needs an SD DVD recording. The Sony DVD recorders don't recognize an SD anamorphic 16:9 signal so they record a squeezed signal. On a computer you can tell the software to adjust, but it's not automatic because there are no 16:9 flags on the signal. This is the same for DVD player. it would be better to letter-box the output because the center cut doesn't work when framing 16:9. My JVC HD cameras have the option to send out all 3 types of SD signal. It would be beneficial for the TC to do the same.

SBowie
10-08-2012, 09:47 AM
I don't disagree that a letter-box option would be useful, as the request comes up from time to time. (i personally really hate viewing letter-boxed video, but that's just me).
I will say in passing, though, that it's sop in many places to prepare the graphics with a 4:3 safe area in mind when dual format (SD and HD) output is anticipated.

ZachSchuster
10-08-2012, 09:59 AM
I'd agree that a letterboxed SD signal would be a nice feature on the AUX output. It would solve quite a few problems. Until such a feature is implemented, I'd recommend an SDi to Analog mini converter from Black Magic Design. Connect the converter to a computer with the USB port. With the downloadable Converter Utility you can configure the converter to take an HD-SDI signal and output a letterboxed 4x3 analog SD signal.

Using the converter utility you can also adjust some proc amp settings. A lot of users don't know about the converter utility.

Marty01
10-10-2012, 09:05 AM
I agree, being able to select letterbox 4:3 for the AUX output would be great. I capture a lot of projects in 16:9 and it always seems to be a pain to record to a SD DVD recorder. Really don't have the funds to buy another converter, but may have to if this is not added soon.

Thanks,
Marty

DStoneburner
10-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Luckily we have found that I can use a DVI to VGA adapter and send that out to the projector. The projector's native resolution is 1024x768, so it ends up letterboxing the output. Letterboxing is not my favorite, but when all your videos are produced 16x9 HD then you lose screen real estate by not letterboxing. It just seems like a no-brainer and basically it's time to make the shift. Our educational access channel is still SD 4:3, but we basically letter box everything now for that channel. Tha