PDA

View Full Version : Create Brass With or Without Presets?

rcallicotte
10-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Presets are great, but I see no way to assign one surface with only one preset. Am I wrong?

I want to use shaders to create brass and I'm doing what I can to learn from RH's nodal tutorials besides already understanding enough to be dangerous. Any assistance in understanding a direction to head to do create various metals, etc. and a way to better understand the presets would be great.

rcallicotte
10-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Does this work like it does it does in Modo - just select a surface and double-click the preset? I haven't seen it work like this - per surface.

Skonk
10-08-2012, 11:57 AM
No you have to name the surfaces by selecting the polygons, hitting Q (in modeller) and assigning them a name.

Once named the surfaces will appear in the surface editor.

jwiede
10-08-2012, 12:56 PM
This is definitely an area where LW's workflow could be substantially optimized. There's too much dependency on the surface editor for even simple material assignments, where other pkgs offer drag-n-drop-onto-geometry preset assignment. Between that and the general lack of presets as shipped, the LW surfacing preset situation has huge room for improvement, in workflow and resource availability.

rcallicotte
10-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks guys! I know about the 'Q' and all that, but what about presets? Can you apply just a preset (like the brass one) just and only to one assigned surface?

Skonk
10-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys! I know about the 'Q' and all that, but what about presets? Can you apply just a preset (like the brass one) just and only to one assigned surface?

Yeh you can; not sure why you'd think that wasn't the case?

Presets simply change the surface settings; they don't do anything special (as in that you can't do manually).

cagey5
10-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Just to re-iterate what Skonk says. I'm not sure why you're having a problem with this. Just highlight a surface in the surface editor. Double click on a preset and it's job done.

rcallicotte
10-08-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm not sure what I was thinking, but for some reason was under the impression that the surfaces would all be changed instead of just the particular surface I wanted to affect. <sigh> Thank you all very much.

jwiede
10-09-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure what I was thinking, but for some reason was under the impression that the surfaces would all be changed instead of just the particular surface I wanted to affect. <sigh> Thank you all very much.
Nope, just the current surface, otherwise it'd be pretty useless really. Granted, there are some ":foreheads :compbeati" moments in LW, but this isn't one.

That said, I'd still much, much prefer a more "drag-n-drop onto geometry", less "clicky, SurfaceEditor-invoking" approach for applying material/surface presets.

rcallicotte
10-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Roger that would be a "nice to have". Glad I understand how it works, though. That's a nice step. LOL

Nope, just the current surface, otherwise it'd be pretty useless really. Granted, there are some ":foreheads :compbeati" moments in LW, but this isn't one.

That said, I'd still much, much prefer a more "drag-n-drop onto geometry", less "clicky, SurfaceEditor-invoking" approach for applying material/surface presets.