PDA

View Full Version : The future of PresetCentral.com...

benhaines
10-08-2012, 07:50 AM
... is in your hands! (Sorry for the cheesy headline)

Today I approved the first preset to be uploaded by a community member in 12 months! - http://www.presetcentral.com/preset/494/

Despite healthy traffic, registrations and downloads the contributions by the community are practically zero. I think there are many reasons for this, but most notably (IMHO) is the lack of development/innovation and activities on the site to encourage activity. We only have to look at Lightwiki to see what an active team can accomplish (well done to Ben Vost and others!).

So here is my challenge to the community and/or Newtek. Pick this up, give it the boost it needs! I'm offering the domain, code and database to anybody who wants to see PresetCentral live on.

PresetCentral could be so much more with the right people behind it:

- integrated into LightWave as a plugin (we tried to achieve a nice workflow using PSPlant!)
- market place where artists can earn a few $$ for premium assets (presets, models, scenes, textures, etc.)
- mobile/iPad edition

If we fail to find a new home and enthusiasm for PresetCentral I genuinely believe the best thing to do is to close the site and provided a torrent download to the collection of presets shared over the years.

Please let me know what you think.

Ben

rcallicotte
10-08-2012, 08:00 AM
I love this site and appreciate you even asking us. It was a lot of hard work and really useful. Here's my ignorance, though, and I plan to start another thread to ask about this - how do presets help us if we can't assign a preset just to one surface? Or maybe we can and I just don't know how. My understanding is that presets just affect everything in the scene.

Anyway, if I'm wrong, then surely this is a critical thing for someone like Newtek or the new Lightwave group to handle.

erikals
10-08-2012, 08:08 AM
- market place where artists can earn a few $$ for premium assets.

i like that one.

rcallicotte
10-08-2012, 08:35 AM
The only problem with $$ is the lack of $$ out there (including me). But, for stellar assets that might be another situation. I like the way Luxology does it.

COBRASoft
10-08-2012, 09:38 AM
LW3D is the one that should reply to this request. They don't have to re-invent the wheel for this.

Anyway, I really appreciate what you've done!

djlithium
10-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi oh.

We have the means, support and capabilities to adopt presetcentral and help it grow over at Liberty3d.com - Please contact me via skype ( djlithium ) or drop me an email at [email protected] liberty3d.com to discuss if you are open to this.

Cheers,

Kat

GregMalick
10-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Wow. Thanks Kat for keeping PC alive.

m.d.
10-08-2012, 10:43 PM
if you guys want to see a cool integration of presets, take a little inspiration from octane's live DB...where uploading and downloading is seamless from an internal browser within octane

Cryonic
10-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Here's my ignorance, though, and I plan to start another thread to ask about this - how do presets help us if we can't assign a preset just to one surface? Or maybe we can and I just don't know how. My understanding is that presets just affect everything in the scene.

I've used Presets from this site before and they've always been applied to the surface I told them to go to. They don't go to the model as a whole as the Presets don't have any understanding of any model. Select Surface name and load preset from the .srf file :)

djlithium
10-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Wow. Thanks Kat for keeping PC alive.

We are certainly interested in taking it on. With the plugin developer support we have surrounding us and it has been suggested, that something like preset central would be directly integrated into the software on some level so no browser needed in the conventional sense. We would also try and make it possible where you could access your own presets where ever you go. Simply log into your account and there they are from any machine at any time. Kind of like a dropbox account for presets.

djwaterman
10-09-2012, 07:03 AM
The main reason I never submitted surface presets was because I didn't have confidence with my own surfaces, and didn't want to inflict them on the unwary. It's only now that I think I'm getting to the levels of skill I need to submit. So yes, I was always disappointed that there wasn't more content on the site, but there are probably a lot of people like me who just didn't think they were good enough to submit anything. Good luck, it was a great concept.

probiner
10-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Thanks for all the effort to put this in place.

I would just suggest to whoever gets this very good resource to expand it to Node Trees Presets, Render Scene Presets, even at some level, Model Presets (Free Models threads anyone?) etc... So many common problems that could be solved so easily by people's will to share with others, that a system like this could cover, like it does well for Surfaces.

Ah a note about the existing website, I couldn't edit a preset I posted earlier so I had to upload another one and email Ben to delete the other one. Not very friendly for both sides.

Anyway at some point NT would have to jump on this. So that the preset management is also streamlined. Compound Node for example would be a start :) A plan for a LW resource oriented site would be very good.

Best wishes Ben

rcallicotte
10-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Thank you Kat!

I agree - as I'm learning shaders better, I'll be apt to share something useful on this new site. Maybe someone could put up a standard or make it rateable, like this one was. Or not. I'm interested either way.

OnlineRender
10-09-2012, 09:21 AM
NT should jump on this and Matt done a lot of work on it also so it's kinda fitting ... however it would integrate perfect lightwiki asset/vendor store.

Cageman
10-09-2012, 11:49 AM
I'd rather see LW3DG take this up and make it a part of LW (plugin) and the lightwave3d.com site, but I guess that Liberty3d could be outsourced to do the plugin development? In any case, I think LW3DG has a lot allready on their plate, so, Liberty3D is obviously a very alive and healthy place to where something like this could go as well.

:)

djlithium
10-09-2012, 12:32 PM
I'd rather see LW3DG take this up and make it a part of LW (plugin) and the lightwave3d.com site, but I guess that Liberty3d could be outsourced to do the plugin development? In any case, I think LW3DG has a lot allready on their plate, so, Liberty3D is obviously a very alive and healthy place to where something like this could go as well.

:)

There are a lot of really cool things we can do with something like presetcentral.com and its been discussed on ways to bring it further along in the near term and long term so if you guys are open to it, lets make it happen.
No time like the present.

archijam
10-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Nice, Kat!

Guys, take a second to look at the site for plugins and resources for Rhino, now a year old:

http://www.food4rhino.com/

It's run by McNeel, the developers, and even has a nifty plugin (a la PSPlant !) for downloads within the 3D application ... it's basically just an html window with download links, and is aware of what is installed .. but works great!

The plugins-plugin is called Remote:

http://www.food4rhino.com/remote

... keep in mind, almost all plugins you see are 3rd party .. and it all works really well. Kinda makes me think that NT could somehow be directly involved, at least in the integration of such a plugin, for example ..

Thanks for all your hard work, ben!

Perhaps the plugin could be named the "HainesHub" ; ) ...

probiner
10-09-2012, 04:27 PM
On a much smaller scale this is how SublimeText2 IDE works. You install one plugin, Package Control, that downloads and manages the installation of other plugins in a menu a bit like Blender's Space-Menu.

Cheers