PDA

View Full Version : Diffuse shading - no lighting?

Simon-S
10-08-2012, 03:05 AM
Hi,

I'm pretty new to the node editor and have recently bought rebel hills tutorials to start getting my head around things.

I'm getting there I think but I'm having an issue with setting up anything using shaders connected to 'diffuse shading', where my object appears to be self lit and unaffected by any of my scene lights. Even if I crank ambient intensity up to 1000% the model seems unaffected at render.

Am I missing something here? Surely shaders can be lit the same as anything else? What am I doing wrong?

Here's my current node network where I'm using the mixer nodes (set to multiply) to blend everything together.

Any advice on this would be gratefully received.

Thanks

XswampyX
10-08-2012, 03:29 AM
I think you need to start with something simpler.

Can you get that working?

RebelHill
10-08-2012, 03:36 AM
Its the multiplied mixers that are your problem. Shaders can connect a lot like colour outputs (for obvious reasons) but they are still different, they ARE shaders, NOT plain colour maps. As a result of this, certain operations that you can apply readily to colour don't make sense when dealing with shaders. You can mix them with mixer node... but you'll want to use normal blend mode, and fade on over the other in whatever way.

Simon-S
10-08-2012, 03:50 AM
No, I can't. The object seems unaffected by lighting even with this simple network.

Simon-S
10-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Its the multiplied mixers that are your problem. Shaders can connect a lot like colour outputs (for obvious reasons) but they are still different, they ARE shaders, NOT plain colour maps. As a result of this, certain operations that you can apply readily to colour don't make sense when dealing with shaders. You can mix them with mixer node... but you'll want to use normal blend mode, and fade on over the other in whatever way.

Right ok thanks. How would I 'fade on over' as you say?

Skonk
10-08-2012, 04:06 AM
You sure you haven't turn ambient light up to 100% in the lights panel or something?

Simon-S
10-08-2012, 05:04 AM
You sure you haven't turn ambient light up to 100% in the lights panel or something?

No, I've tried that. Changing and of the light settings dont seem to have an effect.

RebelHill
10-08-2012, 06:01 AM
Right ok thanks. How would I 'fade on over' as you say?

by using the opacity input.