PDA

View Full Version : Forums still slow and clunky!

prometheus
10-07-2012, 05:21 AM
Forums still slow and clunky!

Posting replys, .........the forums tries to connect but takes minutes before the connection is done and post is finished, a lot of double post occours,
and I noticed when trying to unsubscribe to thread, I get an invalid message.

Hope this will get sorted out sometime soon, I see myself visiting the forums more less and less nowadays due to the forum beeing this way...
Might be a good thing since I can do something else, but also a bad thing since I wont be giving help support or posting tips etc.

Michael

lertola2
10-07-2012, 05:48 AM
Same here.

nikfaulkner
10-07-2012, 06:42 AM
Yep seems like I've been complaining about this for ages. No one at newtek a listening it would appear :/

nikfaulkner
10-07-2012, 06:44 AM
Yep seems like I've been complaining about this for ages. No one at newtek a listening it would appear :/

nikfaulkner
10-07-2012, 06:49 AM
Haha as if by magic ..... Double post

- - - Updated - - -

Haha as if by magic ..... Double post

prometheus
10-07-2012, 06:53 AM
Yepp..it feel ridicoulus right now, was trying to reply now,,took around 15 minutes to connect to the forums, and I also got ..you have to wait 30 seconds before posting again..blah..

I think we were enlighted to have patience during this new forum transition, Sure I think I can live with that for a week or two, but after that my patience will mostly likely run out, perhaps leave the forum alone for a month
or so?

Michael

SBowie
10-07-2012, 07:53 AM
I've clocked the 'timeouts' at about 4 minutes on multiple occasions and from more than one location. The new server seems to feel justified in taking frequent coffee breaks. I do agree that it seems to have gotten worse, not better.

prometheus
10-07-2012, 08:04 AM
I've clocked the 'timeouts' at about 4 minutes on multiple occasions and from more than one location. The new server seems to feel justified in taking frequent coffee breaks. I do agree that it seems to have gotten worse, not better.

oki doki...Just as long as the team is aware of it and is working to get it better, Then we might hope for fix if possible anytime soon.

Michaesl

Cryonic
10-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Since connections aren't supposed to last that long when a failure to connect occurs (TCP timeout), this suggests that the site was responding, but that the page being requested was waiting on other data, like a return result from the database.
I wonder if the DB system is in need of a little TLC. It absorbed a huge amount of information when the old site was upgraded to the newer version. Does Newtek have a Database Administrator checking to see if the indices have been A) rebuilt, B) properly tuned for the queries the forum software is running?

inkpen3d
10-07-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm still having the following issues:
1. It sometimes takes ages to either get the main forums page to display or get up a new page after I've clicked on a link to a thread. I've often just had to abort and try again later.
2. Search is still broken (have to resort to searching the forums using Google).

Peter

Ma3rk
10-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Oddly, I've resolved many of these issues by simply clearing my browser cache.

jwiede
10-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Since connections aren't supposed to last that long when a failure to connect occurs (TCP timeout), this suggests that the site was responding, but that the page being requested was waiting on other data, like a return result from the database.
I wonder if the DB system is in need of a little TLC. It absorbed a huge amount of information when the old site was upgraded to the newer version. Does Newtek have a Database Administrator checking to see if the indices have been A) rebuilt, B) properly tuned for the queries the forum software is running?
Agreed, the timing and "placement" of the timeouts strongly feels like a db-side issue.

2. Search is still broken (have to resort to searching the forums using Google).
The search problems appear to confirm there's something awry on the db-side, either incomplete or non-existant indices. If operational queries from forum sw are encountering similar issues to queries from the search engine, that could explain the timeouts seen.

50one
10-07-2012, 02:42 PM
I've been working in web design and a little bit of dev field for the past 8 years and can't really recall of having a similar issues with a production site.
Don't get me wrong but I think it's just embarrassing - I hope you're reading it...but the good side of it - it's Newtek, not the Lightwave3D Group:) behind it hehe.

And the whole DNS propagation etc. I'm not buying that - unless you've built your own little cloud and trying to figure out the configuration, etc - but then you would hire professionals to do it.
even the search is still Effed up', not to mention the oldie but goldie 'ghost' page at the end of the thread - even tho you've upgraded the software.

Maybe it's time to take the forum offline for let's say few days and fix things properly? I won't even mention of adding additional functionality like 'top row' gallery, maybe removing some of the old crap - like ofr instance the 'Newtek launches Rendition' from 2009 - or at lest move half of the stuff to .archive subfolder - just to clean the forum a bit.

Plus when using Opera the images form popups will open automagically if you just hover above them?

It may sound like a rant, but it's not.

* Just can't wait for the coments like "Hey, you knew that you can collapse some subforums riiight??"
- O Rly? :D

SBowie
10-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Agreed, the timing and "placement" of the timeouts strongly feels like a db-side issue.I'm less inclined to agree. The hangups also affect forum admin pages that don't have any obvious connection to the database.

Cryonic
10-07-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm less inclined to agree. The hangups also affect forum admin pages that don't have any obvious connection to the database.

The software queries the database to determine what to display and to check if you have the right to see that page.

Cryonic
10-07-2012, 05:14 PM
And the whole DNS propagation etc. I'm not buying that - unless you've built your own little cloud and trying to figure out the configuration, etc - but then you would hire professionals to do it.

Not every ISP obeys the proper RFC for DNS. Cox and Comcast override the TTL for a DNS entry and set it to at least 24 hours. So, if you're using their DNS servers (as quite a lot of people are), then a change in server IP won't be picked up by those customers for at least that long. I'm sure other ISPs do other oddball things.

Plus when using Opera the images form popups will open automagically if you just hover above them?

Same with Firefox. And I'm sure Chrome as well.

SBowie
10-07-2012, 08:38 PM
The software queries the database to determine what to display and to check if you have the right to see that page.Perhaps, though frankly I'm skeptical. When it works, it's quite snappy ... until it isn't. Then it's total @#$% for about the same duration each time. This feels more to me like some task that ought to run quietly in the background once in a blue moon, but which is instead contending for resources on a madly frequent basis. Either way, it cannot possibly annoy anyone here more than it does me.

lwanmtr
10-08-2012, 02:56 AM
Yeah, been having the timeouts and when i post i always get the 'do you really want to leave this page' requestor.

And kind of off topic....i am not a fan of the color scheme at all...hehe.

Fsoto
10-08-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm glad I dropped by to read these posts; now I don't suspect my mac.

JamesCurtis
10-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Good to know it's not my PC either.

hcoat
10-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Perhaps, though frankly I'm skeptical. When it works, it's quite snappy ... until it isn't. Then it's total @#$% for about the same duration each time. This feels more to me like some task that ought to run quietly in the background once in a blue moon, but which is instead contending for resources on a madly frequent basis. Either way, it cannot possibly annoy anyone here more than it does me.

It could be that the DB is being locked for backup, which would be pretty close to the same duration each time. If this is true the backup schedule could be altered as well locking individual table rather than the whole DB during the backup process. There are also different locking mechanism that allow reading the DB but not writing, if the wrong mechanism is used everyone is lockout.

SBowie
10-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Appreciate the suggestion. I had a similar notion ... backup, virus scan, some massive automated query being run, whatever. It seems 'periodic' to me, though I've not attempted to perform any serious test of that premise.

DrStrik9
10-12-2012, 04:50 AM
I just waited >5 minutes to reload the topic I was reading (or trying to read). Can we go back to the old forums now?

prometheus
10-12-2012, 04:53 AM
I just waited >5 minutes to reload the topic I was reading (or trying to read). Can we go back to the old forums now?

I dont go here anymore:( not that much anyway, and I am avoiding answering or posting to topics at all mostly, with the exeption of this now.
Waiting for better times ...

Michael

Jim M
10-12-2012, 07:09 AM
Definitely broken as far as my experience goes. What was wrong with it before, why was the change implimented?

prometheus
10-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Definitely broken as far as my experience goes. What was wrong with it before, why was the change implimented?

Absolutly nothing, but everything is under subject of changing from time to time, and I guess they felt that it was time, and perhaps by doing so adding extra features etc..the results of it
hasnīt been on the positiv side up til now though.

Michael

SBowie
10-12-2012, 10:25 AM
What was wrong with it before, why was the change implimented?Long-serving but creaking and decrepit hardware ... It wouldn't require much exaggeration to say that the alternative was waiting (perhaps not all that long) until the whole thing fell over. Updating provided a convenient opportunity to move to the latest version of vBulletin, but that wasn't the motivation.

phillydee
10-12-2012, 12:51 PM
FWIW: Not sure if it's the same for everyone else, but I haven't experienced any server-side lockups today. No time-outs. Could be just me though.

Cryonic
10-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Interesting... whatever it is seems to be happening around 15 minutes before the hour... which suggests it is some sort of maintenance task going off and messing with either the website or the database. Or possibly both.