PDA

View Full Version : 3d Coat tutorial, I will pay.

Ryste3d
10-06-2012, 07:59 AM
I pay $ 100 (paypal) for a video tutorial showing me how to import my model (a sofa or a chair) into Voxels, apply the default cloth object to it (with uv) and export it back to Lightwave.

I am in a hurry here... Thanks :-)

Like this:

Philbert
10-07-2012, 11:08 AM
It's hard to tell how this tutorial would be done based on some small renders. I'm also not sure what you mean by default cloth.

erikals
10-07-2012, 05:44 PM
i think he means the cloth function in 3Dcoat (?)

Philbert
10-07-2012, 06:08 PM
If that's the case it may not work as expected. 3DC's cloth tool makes a voxel model so there is are no UVs and it would have to be retopologized, which wouldn't really be possible if the folds are touching each other as they would get fused together.

Rayek
10-07-2012, 11:10 PM
An easy alternative would be to import the furniture in Blender, add a plane, subdivide, add uv's, and drop it on the sofa or whatever with high quality cloth simulation settings. Perhaps deform and adjust the initial shape of the cloth a bit first before dropping it in the simulation for best wrinkle results and more control. Then convert to a static mesh, use sculpt mode to fine tune and 'wrinkle out' some visible issues, and export that mesh including the uv map for import into Lightwave and rendering. It's easy to setup - tried to recreate the first example, and works like a charm.

Darth Mole
10-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Well, I could drape the cloth in C4D and/or sculpt it with the new tools in R14 (which are ideal for this) Then you can reimport it into LW...

I'd be happy to give it a go.

EDIT: Or do what he said ^

Rayek
10-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Yes, it wouldn't matter which app you use for this, as long as it has a reasonable cloth sim, and sculpting tools. Cinema4d would also work.

If other people are interested I could make a small tutorial how to do this in Blender for export to Lightwave.

Here's hoping the next iteration of Lightwave will include bullet cloth.

Darth Mole
10-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Yep: "Bullet Dynamics in LightWave 11.5 is now faster and more robust. In addition, new functionality has also been added, including:

Soft Body / Cloth Dynamics
11.5 continues the development of Bullet in LightWave to include soft body dynamics. You can now create soft body effects such as cloth, rubber, jelly or other deforming properties with the same ease of use as you have come to expect from the rigid body simulations in LightWave 11."

allabulle
10-09-2012, 03:02 AM
(...)
If other people are interested I could make a small tutorial how to do this in Blender for export to Lightwave.

I'd like to know how you do that. If you could show us your method it would be much appreciated. I'm looking at Blender to do things like this right now, so any tip or method on how to operate it along with LightWave is a treat to me. :)

Rayek
10-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Okay, will do - may take till after the weekend, though - I am a little overwhelmed with work this week.

ianrthompson
10-10-2012, 04:12 AM
Couldn't you use the cloth sim that is in lightwave layout.

allabulle
10-10-2012, 04:39 AM
Thanks in advance Rayek. :)

UnCommonGrafx
10-10-2012, 07:12 AM
I am always curious.
LW's age is an asset, too; if you are willing to be patient with it it, observe it, it is easier to predict.

Hope all of this came through.

For me, the tricks were:
- 2 point polys for internal structure. Not sure it's needed;
- Don't drop the cloth but throw it with rotation: this gives it some natural motion;
- MetaLink is your friend;
- Some things benefit from triangles; all of it benefits from a denser mesh;
- On a monster machine, lots of geometry is a help, not a hinder;
- ClothFx is fun. Repeat this to yourself should you not find this the case.

This was done this morning, in about two or so hours of playing. Had to do the trash and that seems to have helped my thinking.
Loading and calculating ought to get you the pic.

Hope that's of help.

UnCommonGrafx
10-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Still playing. Haven't uv mapped it but that's trivial.
Thanks for the lecture material.

Ryste3d
10-14-2012, 04:47 PM
I found a solution, Marvelous Designer 2. I did these in less then an hour (including learning the software) It looks great but is a bit to pricy if you ask me.

And as a bonus, when you export your OBJ file with texture into Marvelous Designer and you export it back to Lightwave (OBJ file), UV textures maps is auto assigned for all your materials (image maps).

There is a 30 day working trial edition.

Many great tutorials on youtube for this kind of work.

Philbert
10-14-2012, 04:51 PM
I thought of MD but didn't expect you'd want to pay for it. I presume you can't use the trial for commercial work.

Ryste3d
10-14-2012, 05:03 PM
No you can not, we are waiting to se what LW 11.5 has to offer i terms of Bullet Dynamics. Otherwise we will buy this as it works great in our line of work.

Pavlov
10-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Md is fantastic, and fun to use. It costs less than € 200... a gift, if you ask me.

Paolo

Titus
10-14-2012, 05:57 PM
While I love MD and Blender for cloth sim, I think LW is still useful. I did a lot of cloth with LW in the past, sometimes complex or simple stuff like this:

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-restaurant-tablecloth-table/376241

Take this just as my way to remember LW has the capabilities. It was very straightforward

djwaterman
10-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Ha ha, I actually bought that table cloth and used it on a on a job once, memories.

Ryste3d
10-15-2012, 04:16 AM
Md is fantastic, and fun to use. It costs less than € 200... a gift, if you ask me.

Paolo

you are absolutely right, i cost less than one image we sell, but for some one jus wants to play around with drapes the $ 699 is a lot (or $ 199 for personal use)

Pavlov
10-15-2012, 08:25 AM
no... i had same headache when i bought it: the one they call "personal license" IS a professional one, you can use it in production.
I had a mail exchange with them before purchase.
Ask them if you are not sure. Again, license is activable/deactivable on the fly so everyone here in office can use MD, but just one user at same time.

Paolo

phillydee
10-15-2012, 10:16 AM
..the one they call "personal license" IS a professional one, you can use it in production.

Question: do you have to pay an additional 99$ for the animation module? (when purchasing the "personal licence" version...) Is that what it says on the pricing page? That part is a bit unclear.

Thanks,

Phil

Pavlov
10-15-2012, 10:21 AM
oh, i dont know. i just have the basic saoftware, which allows me to create extremely realistich clothery... i dont need animation so i didnt ask.

Paolo

erikals
10-15-2012, 11:31 AM
"The personal license has the option of purchasing the plugin separately."

just checked, indeed, personal license requires you to buy a $100 dollar animation plugin
(animation plugin requires purchase within 30 days after the MD installation or price goes up to $200)...

so it's $300 if you want animation capabilities...
it's mentioned elsewhere "The same Features are provided regardless of the license type." < which is not quite true (!)

anyway, $300 is ok...

Paul Goodrich
10-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Paolo,

Does this mean I could use it on an animation? Or do I need to buy the more expensive version? Thanks.

Paul Goodrich

no... i had same headache when i bought it: the one they call "personal license" IS a professional one, you can use it in production.
I had a mail exchange with them before purchase.
Ask them if you are not sure. Again, license is activable/deactivable on the fly so everyone here in office can use MD, but just one user at same time.

Paolo

phillydee
10-24-2012, 10:53 PM
I believe the site states in order to use Marvelous Designer cloth on animation, you have to buy the animation module which costs an additional 99$. However, it can work with the personal license version which I believe is 199$. Confusing, yes. But you can use the personal license for commercial work, as long as the seat is only activated on one node it seems, from what Pavlov stated previously.

erikals
10-25-2012, 11:42 AM
yep.