PDA

View Full Version : No good turbulence wind in LW?

Taro Yoshimoto
10-06-2012, 02:58 AM
The turbulence wind is the same old as 10 years ago. It's really really bad especially compared with Particular Trapcode turbulence or any other 3D packages. Is there any plugins or scripts that would give us a better turbulence for particles, Bullet objects and clothes?

thanks

tayotain2
10-06-2012, 03:54 AM
I normally use "wind mode-> direction".
You can use any procedural texture for the vectors.

dsol
10-06-2012, 06:10 AM
Hopefully the new Bullet-derived forces in LW11.5 will bring a nice new built-in turbulence effect - similar to the trapcode one! Fingers crossed.

Taro Yoshimoto
10-07-2012, 04:24 AM
Thanks tayotain2! I will try that.

Dsol... toes crossed too!

prometheus
10-07-2012, 06:44 AM
I would suggest same as tayotain2, use directional wind with procedural textures, fiddle around with animated ones ..such as ripple etc, and also add several layers above additively such as turbulence to give extra undulations,
I think you should be able to use turbulence and vortex (i prefer vortex) with textures too, but set them to additively to retain the main wind type but with additive fractals.

Magic rarely comes in one layer only...You could also use not only one turbulence or vortex winds but instead two or more but with different settings, as many artists do almost in everything ..more layers gives complexity and depth
in most cases.

however using procedural winds on particles can be slow, especially with a lot of particles, you could use procedurals directly on the particles velocity fields, but it won´t be truly dynamic but faster.
Here´s a sample I did of that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYpvZyikRqY&feature=channel&list=UL

Bullet engine wind forces might be happening, but we have yet only seen sneak previews for cloth, wether or not it will work with particles remains to be seen someday.

- - - Updated - - -

I would suggest same as tayotain2, use directional wind with procedural textures, fiddle around with animated ones ..such as ripple etc, and also add several layers above additively such as turbulence to give extra undulations,
I think you should be able to use turbulence and vortex (i prefer vortex) with textures too, but set them to additively to retain the main wind type but with additive fractals.

Magic rarely comes in one layer only...You could also use not only one turbulence or vortex winds but instead two or more but with different settings, as many artists do almost in everything ..more layers gives complexity and depth
in most cases.

however using procedural winds on particles can be slow, especially with a lot of particles, you could use procedurals directly on the particles velocity fields, but it won´t be truly dynamic but faster.
Here´s a sample I did of that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYpvZyikRqY&feature=channel&list=UL

Bullet engine wind forces might be happening, but we have yet only seen sneak previews for cloth, wether or not it will work with particles remains to be seen someday.

jwiede
10-07-2012, 08:54 AM

in most cases.
Good points all, but it is a bit unfortunate that the basic LW "turbulence" requires such extensive "help", compared to results when using straight-up "turbulence" in other packages -- check out Trapcode Particular's turbulence to see what OP means. If LW can generate as good results as competitors, but requires a bunch of extra steps to achieve such results, IMO that's still an issue that needs addressing.

Quality standards go up over time, as do customer computers' capabilities. If effects like "turbulence" are left static for long periods (many, many years, in this case), they'll begin to look "primitive" versus newer or more recently-updated competitors' equivalents, because the competitors targeted more advanced quality standards and compute capabilities in their versions. The overall effect furthers the impression that LW is dated and/or less capable compared to other packages.

Every second or third version, Newtek should be doing a "refresh" pass on such modifiers, filters and effects, going through and updating their output as needed to remain competitive. LW's competitors are doing such routine updates, adding complexity to noises, etc. -- I actively look for such changes in release notes (it's a sign of scheduled feature maintenance, a good thing), and they are occurring. I believe such periodic minor improvements would, over time, largely erase the (not-always-so-) subtle "dated" feel of many such features in LW.

Taro Yoshimoto
10-08-2012, 01:45 AM
Thanks Prometheus!

As Jwiede say, I know I can achieve the look I want with multiples layers or by duplicating and random rotate the wind effector, but it's exactly what I try to avoid. It's a real pain in the *** just to get a normal perlin noise evolutive turbulance. I also dont think I would trust Lightwave old procecedurals (especially not ripple) to animate my motion. Better render a fractal noise layer in After Effects and get exactly the look and speed I want. Sad point is that you have to animate the X,Y,Z axis separatly with the wind mode - direction.