PDA

View Full Version : Adding an object at a certain keyframe?

Tinseltopia
10-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Sorry if this is a bad question, but googling didn't help. Basically I'm making an ident for a university task, and so far I have animated the logo against a greenscreen and set it centered in the screen at the end of the animation. But once the logo is centered I want to add in some 3D Text that appears underneath it.

The problem is when I set the keyframe to 220, then add the text, it actually stays for the whole animation, rather than that specific keyframe, and the only way I can see to get round it is to animated it flying in. So I guess another question would be, that would also be very helpful. Is there a way to 'fade in' an object? So that the text appears to fade in to view?

Sorry if this is badly worded as well..it's kind of late. But I am using Lightwave 9.6

Thanks

ShadowMystic
10-05-2012, 06:55 PM
You need to either fade in with a transparency texture envelope(that 'E' button), use a clip map(similar to transparency, a little more complicated), or keyframe you text at 220 and at 219 keyframe it outside the camera view.

Dexter2999
10-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Best to do this in an application like After Effects, Motion, Fusion, etc..

Is there a reason you are doing this on a greenscreen and not using a format that uses the Alpha as transparency?

nickdigital
10-05-2012, 11:20 PM
In addition to the other posts you could dissolve the object in via the dissolve envelope in object properties.

jeric_synergy
10-06-2012, 12:59 AM
You need to either fade in with a transparency texture envelope(that 'E' button), use a clip map(similar to transparency, a little more complicated), or keyframe you text at 220 and at 219 keyframe it outside the camera view.
AND if you use this last method, use the STEPPED keyframe interpolation.

THe ultimate last ditch simple-minded method (although everything listed here works), is to make TWO Scenes, one with, one without.

So to enumerate, that's:

transparency animation
clipping animation
motion animation
multiple scenes
video editing

Five methods, all of which would work.

In a way, the multiple scenes method gives you the ultimate flexibility, 'cuz you can change the fade rate from instantaneous to as many frames as you have. So if you're not quite certain how fast you want that fade, this preserves your options. Especially if it's someone else's call.