PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Power Supply for P4DC6+ MB

INOV8Pro
03-03-2003, 05:14 PM
I'm still building my Video Toaster. I need some recommendations for a power supply for my Supermicro P4DC6+ Motherboard. From what I've read I need a power supply of 400W or more with a 4 pin, 8pin, and 20 pin connectors. Please let me know what you would recommend.

Thank you.:)

Pete Draves
03-05-2003, 08:50 AM
It is available from "Turbo -Cool". The model you want is
"T51X-XE" . It is made for the supermicro P6dce+ mb.
A 510 watt supply.
PC Power & Cooling Inc
760-931-5700

Pete

INOV8Pro
03-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Thanks Pete. I'll look into it.

Paul

Ryan
03-06-2003, 09:54 AM
You may think im crazy. but what i did is ignored the 4 pin 12v connection and used the 4pin on the 8 pin slot(4 pin is for agp-pro, 8 pin is for the CPUs) . works great with my super micro dual xeon. havnt had a single problem. The reason that I did this was so that I could use the Antech TruePower 430w ps. It has very low power fluctuations. It is also nearly silent on its own and it has a pair of connectors for external fans that are speed regulated based on the tempature of the case. I have 7 fans and I can barly tell if its on or off. If noise isnt an issue for you then this is all irrelivant.

Pete Draves
03-06-2003, 11:25 AM
not using the correct ps with all plugs is inherently unstable.
even supermicro does not recomend doing what you propose.
You can dammage your proscessors and\or motherboard,
possibly toaster too.

Pete

INOV8Pro
03-06-2003, 02:29 PM
Hmmm. Interesting idea Ryan, but I'm not enough of a tech head to try something that risky. I too was looking at Antech TruePower and I liked their silent power supplies but non of their products seemed to have the connectors that I needed. After a lengthy search I finally did take Pete's recommendation and bought the Turbo-Cool TX510-XE. Thanks to both of you for the help.

Paul:)

Pete Draves
03-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Yofi (good)
just to introduce myself, I am the system integrator and local tech support for Taylor video in Milwaukee WI.

Also I am tech support and beta tester for In-Sunc Speed Razor.

Pete

Ryan
03-09-2003, 08:08 PM
I understand your concerns pete. But the simple fact is the CPUs either get thier 12v or they dont. Stability never really comes into it unless you are running your powersupply on its ragged edge and get voltage drops. And that would only happen if you were using some cheap 300w powersupply. The TruePower 430 has plenty of amperage at 12v to supply 2 xeons.
The only real drawback is that it isnt supported directly by supermicro (their technical support guy was the one that gave
me the idea to do this in the first place though.)

Thier is simply no risk to the processor or any IDE device. Either they get thier voltage or they dont. If this solution didnt work my computer never would have even booted up. The worst case scenario is that it dosnt work and you have to return your PS.

So if noise level isnt a big issue and making everything standard for the sake of being standard is an issue, Then this solution may not be worth the effort. So I wouldnt recomend this to everyone. But the fact remains, 12v is 12v is 12v. Never had any stability problems with my toaster (except a few IRQ problems related to my Escallade RAID controler that I ironed out early on).

Having that said it sounds like you made a good decision Paul and I bet the Turbo-Cool will serve you well. Good luck and enjoy the toaster.

Ryan