PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #191 - Headphones.

XswampyX
10-04-2012, 12:56 PM
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/HeadPhones_zpsd20c741a.jpg

Speed Modeling Challenge #191 - Headphones.

Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave must be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's.

This week's topic: Headphones. You know the drill.... Modern or old fashioned, in the ear or over it. Show me them cans. You have 90 mins. :)

Time limit: 90 minutes.

Deadline: Wednesday, October, 10, 2012, 22:00 G.M.T

sublimationman
10-06-2012, 01:00 AM
OK, here is my entry. It's not stereo but is out of this world otherwise ;-)

Kryslin
10-06-2012, 05:43 PM
I got interrupted while modeling, so in fairness I just stopped where I was, surfaced it, and composed the scene...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smc-191-surfs.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smc-191-wires.jpg
A Vintage WW2 Radio Headphone. I used native modeler tools (Disc, Bevel, Multishift) and LWCAD and it's Real Time Booleans, Mass Round, and Pipe. A Curious mix of SubD surfaces and normal Geometry...

XswampyX
10-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Nice entries guys!

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/HeadPhones4_Small_zps8f87e669.jpg

Rabbitpenny
10-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Kryslin: Sorry for the duplication. Modelled yesterday. Didn't look untill I was ready to post.

XswampyX: Beautiful modelling and render as usual. BTW, the extra 30 minutes is much appreciated.

The only thing a little different about my model is the headband. It's made from one large toroid which was rotated among the three axes to take advantage of symmetry, then using expand/contract, selectively rotated the mesh. For headband padding: PNM and jitter.

https://sites.google.com/site/rabbitpenny3d/home/Headphones001.jpg

https://sites.google.com/site/rabbitpenny3d/home/HeadphonesMesh001.jpg

Kryslin
10-07-2012, 09:17 AM
RabbitPenny: Don't worry about it - Looks like we used different reference pics, anyway. :)

Iain
10-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Great entries folks! And great topic XSX.
I'm determined to get back into the challenges this week.

akaracquel
10-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Woah - Rabbitpenny, I see you have evolved grandly! Congratulations :)

Thank you for the extra 30 minutes XswampyX ..but I blew it :D Did you do the organic looking fall in the wires on your headphones in layout or modeller?

http://www.slaughterhouse.com.au/destinationthere/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/headphones01.jpg

XswampyX
10-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Looking forward to it Iain, and nice wires there akaracquel. The droop in the wires was made in modeller, by moving the spline end points, before the clone command.

Some wires.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/HeadPhones_Wired2Small_zps222d1eb1.jpg

Iain
10-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Wow-Tron wireframe! Love it :thumbsup:

flakester
10-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Wow-Tron wireframe! Love it :thumbsup:

:agree: - great render, and great entries so far everyone. Should have one posted myself tomorrow as well.

ksm357
10-09-2012, 01:19 PM
hi,
here is my entry
both modeling and render less than hour

flakester
10-09-2012, 01:38 PM

My effort - based upon the new PowerBeats in-ear jobbies. Due to a few 'new ways of finding out how not to go about doing things' I used up 89 minutes of modeling time. The render was relatively quick after that.

The model was achieved by creating a pipe first for the main housing and using rounds of exrude / translate / rotate / scale, etc.
Was hoping to do better, but made some gaffs. :hey:

Wire renders inspired by XswampyX! :thumbsup:

Lovely entries everyone.

XswampyX
10-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Welcome ksm357. :beerchug: nice 1st entry. Love the wires, but why is your LW white?

Complicated headphones flakester, good job and a great render with the wires! :-D

ksm357
10-09-2012, 07:34 PM
thanks, I did a little theme customization :))

v1u1ant
10-09-2012, 09:35 PM
These are my Sharp headphones that i have had for years and came with my minidisc player.
I didnt get as far as i wanted with this.
Some dirty modelling was almost up to the 90 minutes given, with a few minutes to spare, i gave in trying to model all the tiny speaker holes. I was going to use a bump map, but never got around to that either.
Started with a disk, extruded out the basic shape of the casing.
Used some boolean operations on the areas of the casing that are cut out. Made one hole then just copied the surrounding polys and pasted into new positions, halved, mirrored object,etc.
For the jack and wire joiner/spliter thingy, started with......another disc, used thickener. extrude etc,. I didnt think it through so well, and to do it again i would have done it another way. Used pipe in LWCAD for the wires, quick and dirty.
I saw the advert for the new apple in your ear headphones, and that got me thinking about just using the subject matter to design something not already pre made....if i get time maybe i will.

Surfacing and rendering was done in about half an hour because i just didnt have the time, so not the best renders. Used a real lense camera for that.
I think i spent most of that time making the wireframe renders.....:rolleyes:

Really like all the other entries again, really nice models by all.

108457 108458

Kuzey
10-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Nice stuff everyone!

Here is mine, steampunk headphones..80mins of free styling :P

More on the blog.

Kuzey

XswampyX
10-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Here we go.....

sublimationman - uhura earpiece - Great wires, simple but effective.
Kryslin - Kellogg S & S Co. headphones 82-A - Nice render and great detailing on the clamps on the side.
Rabbitpenny - Brandes Superior Matched Tone c - Again some great detail in the adjusters and the nuts on the back of the earpiece.
akaracquel - iBeats by Dr. Dre, In Ear Headphones - These match the reference perfectly! nice wires, looks pretty complicated on the 'L'. Overtime but good job.
ksm357 - Adjustable headphones. Great entry to the speed challenges with smart use of the polys to get your model shapes. Love the plastic feel of the render.
flakester - PowerBeats in-ear jobbies - These look great! intricate wires and an interesting render with the black background and the simple reflection map.
v1u1ant - Sharp headphones - Effective modelling of all the holes and bevels, looks pretty complicated. Would have liked to see the jack wires and maybe a lighter final render to be able to see the headphone cable.
kuzey - Steampunk headphones - Great wires, love all the nips and tucks on the joints to give all the edge details.

On to the winner.... It's a toss up between Rabbitpenny & flakester..... the winner is Rabbitpenny. Great job.

Well done all!

flakester
10-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Congrats Rabbitpenny!
Well done everyone, great stuff. :thumbsup:

akaracquel
10-13-2012, 06:10 AM
How do you know so much about headphones XswampyX? :jester:

Congrats Rabbitpenny :thumbsup:

Oedo 808
10-14-2012, 05:11 AM
Well done Rabbitpenny! Good work all round.

I like the luminous wires XswampyX, definite going to steal that idea some time. :)

v1u1ant
10-14-2012, 06:09 AM
Congrats Rabbitpenny.

Rabbitpenny
10-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks all. I was looking for this week's contest (?) and was surprised. (And I am always humbled. Great work all.)

Kryslin
10-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks all. I was looking for this week's contest (?) and was surprised. (And I am always humbled. Great work all.)
I offer my congratulations as well. :)

Well, XswampyX needs to figure out he won two in a row, and needs to get the next one going... :)

djwaterman
10-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Could definitely look at more pictures of headphones, pity it had to end. Really impressed with the luminous wires on a few of the images, any clues on that?

XswampyX
10-15-2012, 11:30 AM
I offer my congratulations as well. :)

Well, XswampyX needs to figure out he won two in a row, and needs to get the next one going... :)

Oooops! my bad. :-(

I've had car troubles..... caught the flu..... and my internet connection to "newtek.com" keeps on F**king up. Will post a new challenge asap!

Sorry.

The luminous wires are just the wires in a very light blue colour, rendered in a dark scene with radiosity turned on. I always thought the wires were just layered over the render. But it seems they are fully 3D.