PDA

View Full Version : License seat couldnīt be aquired, why is this happening after many weeks running?

prometheus
10-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Lightwave 11.03 32 bit on windows 7, suddenly I canīt get Lightwave to start, it gives error message of License seat could not be aquired, all license seats are currently in use.
I could try and drag the license key again I guess, right now it is running in discovery mode.

Ivé been having Lightwave 11.03 running for several weeks without any issues and now this?

Any hint on what might have happened before I try to reactivate it?
Edit...I should say that it also takes a long time to start Lightwave, so I donīt know what the heck is going on here?

Michael

Cageman
10-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Do you have any other machine in the network that might have used the same licensefile? If not, what happens if you plug the dongle in and start LW?

steve0077
10-04-2012, 03:03 PM
My drag and drop license quit working also after about a week and will not work if I try it again. Works with the dongle.

cagey5
10-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Funnily enough today, both Layout and Modeler took significant time to run. I'm talking 15 - 20 seconds with it looking as though it's hanging before it suddenly starts. Normally it's pretty much instantaneous.

Cageman
10-04-2012, 03:20 PM
It would be good if you guys can post what OS you are on, wether it is 64/32 bit and also if you have had any updates from Windows Update (or MacOS for that matter)... this sort of stuff needs to be dealt with quickly...

Skonk
10-04-2012, 03:22 PM
The new non-dongle license system checks the network to see if the license is already in use and causes some delay in loading times while it's at it.

I tried to upgrade 30 version 9 licenses to version 11 for use at work and so far I've only received 3 of the 30 (after around 8 weeks of waiting), so I stuck the 3 licenses I have into use and obviously I see this error a fair bit (essentially first 3 people to load LW11 win, the rest have to use version 9)

cagey5
10-04-2012, 03:26 PM
If this is connected to the occasional timeouts that the forums are still experiencing, then they need to get it sorted.

Skonk
10-04-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't think it checks vs the internet; just your local network.

So lightwave is scanning the network when you launch it, to see if any other instance of lightwave is using that license on your network.

cagey5
10-04-2012, 03:39 PM
That's weird then, because I don't have a network..

Skonk
10-04-2012, 03:50 PM
I may be wrong, thats just how it seemed to be operating on our network.

prometheus
10-05-2012, 02:17 AM
Do you have any other machine in the network that might have used the same licensefile? If not, what happens if you plug the dongle in and start LW?

I had no other computer up and running at home, was just running my laptop on 32 bit windows 7, without usb dongle, In noticed in the task manager that I had a Lightwave layout process running
even after I had closed Lightwave and the hub, so I shut that down, but I also had Lightwave 64 but running at work, but Im not sure, that shouldnīt affect it?
I used team viewer for remote control to shut that down as well.
After those actions I could start again normally, but canīt tell if it was due to a double process running on my laptop, or Lightwave at work conflicting?

The speed issue of Lightwave is only happening on my laptop, so probably som issues with that, will have to reboot the computer and check again if it hangs on start up.

Cheers for the input...seems to be working now anyway.

Michael

jwiede
10-11-2012, 10:53 AM
I had no other computer up and running at home, was just running my laptop on 32 bit windows 7, without usb dongle, In noticed in the task manager that I had a Lightwave layout process running
even after I had closed Lightwave and the hub, so I shut that down, but I also had Lightwave 64 but running at work, but Im not sure, that shouldnīt affect it?
I used team viewer for remote control to shut that down as well.
After those actions I could start again normally, but canīt tell if it was due to a double process running on my laptop, or Lightwave at work conflicting?
Are you normally connected to work via VPN? I could understand how having it running at work theoretically might block launching at home, if you had a VPN to work going when it tried.

Having a LW process running shouldn't block launching another on the same machine due to licensing, that machine has a valid license. There may be other blockers to running two Layout processes at once, but licensing shouldn't be one. If the new scheme's checking for other running LW processes on the same machine, it likely shouldn't be. Otherwise, this new scheme is going to create lots of customer confusion as licensing starts working differently than how it does with the dongle.