PDA

View Full Version : Background Color

stevedross
10-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Am I the only one bugged by the black background color in LiveText? It makes it very tough to see what your doing with shadows. And yes, I know about drawing a box behind the text and then adding your shadow. But this is such an easy fix. Can we at least get a gray background?

Thanks
Steve

SBowie
10-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Turning on Checkerboard in the View tab doesn't do it for you?

stevedross
10-05-2012, 01:01 PM
No. Its way too busy and annoying.

joseburgos
10-07-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm sorry it's too busy and annoying but checker board is pretty much the industry standard for viewing alpha in most all programs. Not knocking your request just stating the facts.

Take care,

adebats
10-07-2012, 02:49 PM
I sort of agree with all here but Steve does have a point. I have problems sometimes lining up or visualising the transparency and wish I could magnify sometimes (I know I could use windows magnifier or use a 42" LED on my desk - believe me I actuallly have one).

SBowie
10-07-2012, 03:06 PM
I certainly agree that the lack of proper zoom controls is a nuisance, but that's a different topic. :)

joseburgos
10-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Zoom for sure would be a great feature. Same goes for a few other drawing features.

stevedross
10-10-2012, 05:49 AM
I'm sorry it's too busy and annoying but checker board is pretty much the industry standard for viewing alpha in most all programs. Not knocking your request just stating the facts.

Take care,

I just read this response and not to be argumentative, but this is the first program I've seen in my 30 years in broadcasting that uses checkerboard as a means of dealing with this issue. Typically, they allow you to adjust the background color or give you a gray background. So what other programs are you talking about for live production use?

- - - Updated - - -

Take care,

I just read this response and not to be argumentative, but this is the first program I've seen in my 30 years in broadcasting that uses checkerboard as a means of dealing with this issue. Typically, they allow you to adjust the background color or give you a gray background. So what other programs are you talking about for live production use?

SBowie
10-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Eyeon Fusion; Adobe Premiere, Acrobat, Photoshop (and Elements), Illustrator; Gimp; Mari; Apple Final Cut, Motion, and DrawIt; Inscriber as well as at least some Chyron apps ... the list goes on. (Some of these have other options too, mind you.) Some apps I use let you choose the checkerboard colors, and I typically use two grays with not too much contrast, but you can also set them to match to get a solid color.

Lots don't like a solid color, much less a fixed solid color. It's not hard to see why, or to find posts like this one: http://community.acdsee.com/forums/topic/png-transparent-preview-with-checkerboard-possible (Quote from this thread: "Since the checkerboard pattern is pretty much industry-standard for transparent images...")

So again, more options, absolutely. But that said, if I had to choose just one I'd take the checkerboard. :)

stevedross
10-21-2012, 06:52 PM
With many of the software packages you've mentioned, the issue I've mentioned with the black background is not a concern. You can clearly see the shadow and edge as you apply them. But if you're the representive for Newtek on this matter, and you feel its not an issue, then I suppose the suggestion will go no where. I'm just relaying concerns that myself and others I've spoken too have expressed. I'm sorry we disagree. Finally, I do agree with your assessment as it pertains to transparencies. My initial post pertained strictly to visually being able to see shadows and edges as we add them. Either way, we still love our Tricaster(s) and look forward to many successful productions with them. Perhaps shades of gray and not black?

Sincerely
Steve

P.S. Is it possible to have the "FTB" button to activate when pressed and not as a preset?

SBowie
10-21-2012, 08:44 PM
But if you're the representive for Newtek on this matter, and you feel its not an issue, then I suppose the suggestion will go no where. By no means. I'm neither speaking for NewTek on the idea, nor dismissing it. I mentioned the checkerboard option in case you hadn't come across it yet. Beyond that, I simply responded to the remark that this is an uncommon approach. That said, I'm all for flexible options - not that my personal view carries any special weight.

P.S. Is it possible to have the "FTB" button to activate when pressed and not as a preset?I'd need to check my notes, but at least some of the product lineup does support ..... ummm ... I think it's ALT + FTB (or Shift, or Ctrl; sorry, it's late) as an immediate action, as compared to simply delegating FTB. As background, we did at one time have it the other way around, but eventually responded to user requests to 'safe' the FTB button with a qualifier.

Carl Suchomel
01-07-2013, 03:25 PM
By no means. I'm neither speaking for NewTek on the idea, nor dismissing it. I mentioned the checkerboard option in case you hadn't come across it yet. Beyond that, I simply responded to the remark that this is an uncommon approach. That said, I'm all for flexible options - not that my personal view carries any special weight.

I'd need to check my notes, but at least some of the product lineup does support ..... ummm ... I think it's ALT + FTB (or Shift, or Ctrl; sorry, it's late) as an immediate action, as compared to simply delegating FTB. As background, we did at one time have it the other way around, but eventually responded to user requests to 'safe' the FTB button with a qualifier.

I love our Tricaster 850 Extreme and optional Livetext package, however I have to agree with Steve on this matter. The black and white checkerboard is tough to look at and see drop shadow, even on my 40" monitor. A much lower contrast checkerboard would be easier to compose graphics with. Photoshop has a preference setting for dark medium or light grid, along with color choices.

Believe it or not, the FTB button is a large part of why we bought a Tricaster! Several of the newer switchers have given up on it altogether. That's cool to know that there is a way to trigger it without delegating it to the transition button. Is there a way of not needing the modifier?

Also, is there a keyboard shortcut to activate the red LIVE button on Livetext? A super cool feature would be to allow a dissolve from page to page. If not there, then within the title player. That's my only real wish.

kltv
01-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Also, is there a keyboard shortcut to activate the red LIVE button on Livetext?

F9... I think.

Kris

CWaddington
01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Here are some other keyboard shortcuts relating to LIVE which might come in useful.

F10 - Play current live motion page (toggles play and pause)
F11 - Pause current live motion page
F12 - Stop current live motion page
Alt + PageDown - Next Page to Live
Alt + PageUp - Previous Page to Live

stevedross
01-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the shortcuts. Is there a complete list of Live shortcuts?

Here are some other keyboard shortcuts relating to LIVE which might come in useful.

F10 - Play current live motion page (toggles play and pause)
F11 - Pause current live motion page
F12 - Stop current live motion page
Alt + PageDown - Next Page to Live
Alt + PageUp - Previous Page to Live

SBowie
01-09-2013, 05:29 PM
At risk of seeming facetious, all of the shortcut keys are listed in the manual.

kanep
01-09-2013, 10:53 PM
At risk of seeming facetious, all of the shortcut keys are listed in the manual.

Or just press F1 and get a list on screen!

SBowie
01-10-2013, 05:31 AM
But you need to look in the manual first to know that. ;)

m4a2000
01-10-2013, 07:51 AM
But you need to look in the manual first to know that. ;)

Sorry to say but at least 90% of people don't read the manual. I have to force myself to read manuals some times, but that's if I don't have a hard copy of it.

SBowie
01-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Sorry to say but at least 90% of people don't read the manual.Actually, I think it says something very similar to that in the manual, too. ;)

(Good thing someone does, or there'd be no-one who could answer questions.)

stevedross
01-11-2013, 01:11 PM
That's why we ask stupid questions, so you can feel superior to us:confused:.

SBowie
01-11-2013, 01:18 PM
"Fail, and your friends feel superior. Succeed, and they feel resentful." Mason Cooley

stevedross
01-11-2013, 01:22 PM
"Fail, and your friends feel superior. Succeed, and they feel resentful." Mason Cooley

"Please make the background color gray." stevedross

stevedross
01-11-2013, 01:24 PM
And you're right. I haven't opened up the book. I'm waiting for the tutorial videos to come to Lynda.com. :D