PDA

View Full Version : Update Current Selection in Graph Editor?

ShadowMystic
10-04-2012, 09:41 AM
I find myself wanting to select items with graph editor open, having them appear in the current selected channel panel. Currently, I just close and reopen graph editor. Is there something I am missing that would be better or should I feature request an update current selection button in graph editor?

dwburman
10-04-2012, 10:37 AM
There's a keyboard shortcut to do that. I think it's Shift-G. I usually just end up doing what you're doing by hitting ctrl-F2 twice. :)

ShadowMystic
10-04-2012, 10:53 AM
I didn't think of such a simple solution... set shift-g to open/close graph editor. Maybe I could write a script to make hotkey hit it twice.

jeric_synergy
10-04-2012, 11:10 AM
There's a keyboard shortcut to do that. I think it's Shift-G. I usually just end up doing what you're doing by hitting ctrl-F2 twice. :)
Dude, CTRL-F2? Yer working too hard. What is your F2 set to?

jeric_synergy
10-04-2012, 11:15 AM
I didn't think of such a simple solution... set shift-g to open/close graph editor. Maybe I could write a script to make hotkey hit it twice.
That's not what dw means: In the GE, the default setting for SHIFT+G loads the currently selected Layout item. (The GE has a separate set of hotkeys than the main interface.) If the current item does not match what GE is displaying, it will be updated to match.

Note: this only works if GE has the focus.

If SHIFT+G doesn't suit you, you can change it in the Hotkey editor, but you have to set the "Window" dropdown to "Graph Editor".

That said, I usually just hit F2 twice, my "Graph Editor" hotkey, to update it to the current item. --Note I got rid of any control key, because things you use often shouldn't use control keys. (Studies prove this.)

ALSO, multiple keys can do the same function: if you need to wean yourself from using SHIFT/CTRL/ALT, you can program the all versions of a key to activate the same function.

One more tip: unassigned hotkeys in the GE do the same function as their Main Window equivalents. IE, "unassigned"="do the Main Window configuration". This is good: if GE has been hijacking a heavily used key and driving you nuts, UNassign it and it still works the way you want.

EDIT: and before I forget: If you ALWAYS want the GE to track the current selection, go into GE: options and check "Track Item Selections".

ShadowMystic
10-04-2012, 11:58 AM
I prefer modifier keys to moving my hand all over the key board. I changed it on purpose to shift-g because ctrlF2 is to far of a stretch.

Track current item is what I was looking for thanks.

jeric_synergy
10-04-2012, 12:08 PM
I prefer modifier keys to moving my hand all over the key board. I changed it on purpose to shift-g because ctrlF2 is to far of a stretch.
F2 is less of a stretch than CTRL+F2.