PDA

View Full Version : Tricaster - weird problem in the middle of production

stijef
10-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Big trouble with TCX 455 occurred just before the production start. Suddenly SDI signal from the camera disappeared (blue screen) and there wasn't a way to get it back. I've restarted TC; after that something weird popped up (check the photos) asking me to do registration again!? Even more: after I've entered (correctly!) serial number got the message that our HW is not working properly! Need this machine asap back, so any advice would be great help.

SBowie
10-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Given your location, I'll draw your post to the attention of Customer Support.

rally1
10-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Let us know what comes of this, hope it's not some "security feature".

stijef
10-03-2012, 12:06 PM
very very unpleasant surprise. setup was finished, test and then 45 mins to go - boom! no video from camera visible on neither of 4 inputs. restarted and then... registration check problem.

SBowie
10-03-2012, 12:21 PM
I vaguely recall a similar issue once before; hopefully CS will be able to help and it won't require anything complex.

stijef
10-03-2012, 12:27 PM
In meantime I've tried to make software update, until waiting on CS to finally answer me. But will not go, the link under register.newtek.com -> downloads, Tricaster 450 Extreme rev. 4f update as well as link to Rev. 3 Update is broken. Something we don't see even on blog's not on such an important place.

"File not found
Show Details

550 Failed to open file.

Check that the address is spelled correctly, or try searching for the site.
Search with Google
Search...."

Must tell you that I'm, at the moment, pretty disappointed with Newtek's support. Seems not so shiny with problems appears once when we move from regular everyday machine usage.

- - - Updated - - -

I vaguely recall a similar issue once before; hopefully CS will be able to help and it won't require anything complex.

Thanx Steve, I hope.
But still no answer on my email sent 2+ hrs ago, and I'm not sure anymore will they solve the problem until production deadline.

SBowie
10-03-2012, 12:43 PM
the link under register.newtek.com -> downloads, Tricaster 450 Extreme rev. 4f update as well as link to Rev. 3 Update is broken.The correct Advanced Release update for a 455 would be 5b, but setting that aside, two of us here just tested the 4f ("Latest") and 3d (default) downloads for 450 and 450E and they are working just fine? I personally gave your email address to CS about a half hour ago, so I hope they have been or soon will be in touch.

stijef
10-03-2012, 01:02 PM
The correct Advanced Release update for a 455 would be 5b, but setting that aside, two of us here just tested the 4f ("Latest") and 3d (default) downloads for 450 and 450E and they are working just fine?

yep, _now_ it is working with me as well. But now not sure to install it or not...

SBowie
10-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Well, setting all else aside, I wouldn't expect reinstalling the 5b update to cause any further issues. I would be inclined to proceed as follows:

1) Power down and unplug the system for about a minute.
2) Make absolutely sure your monitors are connected UI and Mutlview ports - NOT the motherboard ones.
3) Perform a 5b update and hope for the best.

If that fails, assuming you have a 450/450E that got the new Restore partition and features when it was upgraded to 455, a TriCaster Restore followed by the update might work - but you will need to back up any important media content on the C drive first. I'd really prefer CS was working with you on this though. :(

stijef
10-03-2012, 01:41 PM
thnx steve, I can try that... at the moment I'm waiting on download to finish and still on CS to contact me...

digiview
10-03-2012, 05:29 PM
FWIW I had the same problem where registration screen came up when I reboot the XD855. The problem was that Windows 7 had lost it's registration number which in turn generated an new product Id and did not match the Newtek registration details. The fix was to manually re-enter the Windows registration number which in turn regenerated the correct product ID and then all worked correctly. These days the quick easy fix is to reload Widows from the user backup disk.
Cheers

stijef
10-04-2012, 12:08 AM
FWIW I had the same problem where registration screen came up when I reboot the XD855. The problem was that Windows 7 had lost it's registration number which in turn generated an new product Id and did not match the Newtek registration details. The fix was to manually re-enter the Windows registration number which in turn regenerated the correct product ID and then all worked correctly. These days the quick easy fix is to reload Widows from the user backup disk.
Cheers

thnx man, this sounds it could work! finally something, CS still haven't came up with any serious try.
Tell me please how you did managed to renter win key. Where it number has to be insert?

digiview
10-04-2012, 11:18 AM
To enter your Win 7 registration right-click on Computer icon from the desktop and select Properties, then Scroll to the bottom of page and click Activate Windows Now. If Windows has been activated then it will Report " windows has been activated" if Windows is in guest mode you will have the option to change the product key.
Good luck

stijef
10-04-2012, 11:24 AM
yep I did it this morning, just like you said. IT appeared WIN7 is activated, however I entered again WIN7 product ID and did new activation. No chance...
This could be HW problem, Newtek's Europe CS wrote me. Not sure... but it seems I have to send it over Europe to them in order to investigate how to solve the problem.

VideoEng QA
10-04-2012, 12:10 PM
First, thank you for posting your issue and I'm sorry that you've had difficulties with your machine. I agree with what Steve mentioned - I'd recommend reinstalling rev5b available from the registration website, but then additionally, I'd recommend powering down the TriCaster after the install is complete and wait about 1 minute. If the problem remains after that, then customer service would need to work with you on a fix.

As a side note, I wanted to mention that only software intended for a specific model of TriCaster should be installed on that TriCaster. In this case for a TCXD455, the appropriate software would be either Rev5a or Rev5b. Also, on an XD455, we should connect monitors to the vertical DVI and HDMI graphics card ports only - and not the horizontal DVI and VGA motherboard ports. It sounds like this is what you were doing already - I just wanted to make note of it here for reference.

I will follow up with customer support as well.

digiview
10-04-2012, 06:22 PM
stijef check with the Newtek registration page online to make sure you have the same serial number, product id and registration code that's on screen. The other thing I would is to Restore the Tricaster Software to Factory default. You will have to re-enter the registration for Windows and the Tricaster serial number, if all that works the apply the latest software update. If restoring the Tricaster does not work then ship it back to the dealer. FWIW the good thing about the XD455/855 is that it allows you to make a clone of your system drive or a user backup which can be used to restore your windows partition, this can save you such a lot time and stress.