PDA

View Full Version : Lost refraction

fefedefe
10-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Hello,

Does somebody know why do I loose de refraction of an object when I export it in png with alpha channel?

Thank you.

Sensei
10-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Your post make no sense to me..

Refraction is parameter of 3d object such as LWO, not image as PNG..

How can you "export" 3d object to 2d image, other than by fully rendering?

fefedefe
10-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Well, no. What I mean is I render a transparent object with an image enviroment. One time render, I save my render as PNG 32. Then, the nice refraction disappears. Thanks for replying.

zardoz
10-03-2012, 11:11 AM
are you opening the image in photoshop and the transparent surface doesn't show? some versions of photoshop remove the alpha, making the layer transparent. Save to another format or save the alpha separated.

gerry_g
10-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Na he means if you have a glass or any such similar semi transparent object and you export it in some file format with an alpha channel say .png32bt and open it elsewhere anywhere elsewhere the alpa will be incorrect reflecting polygons but not the density in between the inner and outer surface, there is a setting under object properties for how alphas are treated but has nothing useful for this and another under the advanced tab of the surface editor that leads you to believe that it will take into account surface opacity but not in this instance.

zardoz
10-03-2012, 03:14 PM
can you post images of what you want and of what is happening?

gerry_g
10-03-2012, 05:08 PM

I think he means this where density or absorption become absent where an alpha is used to knock out the background, you can clearly see a gap between the inner and outer surface of the glass in the white image but no density or colour