PDA

View Full Version : Motion Follower Problem

Gordonpee
10-30-2003, 12:42 AM
Has this happened to anyone?
I'm having a line of text move around and circle a globe, then move off screen. I have each letter as an separate object that is using Follower based on the motion of the first letter in the sentence. it seems to work fine until I adjust the first letter's keyframes to adjust speed (slow the movement).
When I do this, letters at the back of the line creep up and cluster together.
It's just driving me crazy.
Is there any limitation to Follower based on time/distance from the parent?
Thanks,
Gordon

Axis3d
10-30-2003, 06:15 PM
Hi, Gordon

Follower is working exactly as it should, it sounds. If you are entering a Time Delay for each letter, say, of .5, 1, 1.5, etc., then the first letter (the one you keyframe) starts moving, then a half second later the next letter starts moving, etc. Every half second another letter will start to move, but if you lengthen the time it takes the first letter to move, the paths of the other letters is lengthened also, but they still start moving a half second apart from each other. So, they will appear to bunch up on each other sooner.
You would need to go into the Follower panel for each one and proportionately lengthen the Time Delay setting so they would appear to wait a little longer before they are set in motion.

dablan
10-30-2003, 07:08 PM
One of the things too about Follower is that each object layer needs to have the exact same pivot point.

Additionally, make sure there are now extra keyframes and apply spline controls like Tension.

Gordonpee
10-31-2003, 07:58 AM
I was using Path Delay thinking that it would allow me to adjust the text path without distorting the distance between letters.
I changed everything to Time Delay, and it works like a champ now.
Thanks!
Gordon