PDA

View Full Version : New Lightwave 3D Logo?

cagey5
10-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Is the logo at the top left of the new forum theme a hint of a new logo on the way?

probiner
10-02-2012, 09:32 AM
I guess that would be NT logo and not LW.

Looks cool anyway :)

SBowie
10-02-2012, 09:33 AM
No, it's just part of the default theme. None of this stuff is definitely permanent, it's just a hasty implementation pending 'prettification' by Marketing.

cagey5
10-02-2012, 09:52 AM
I thought it was a template for a wholly Lightwave forum to be bubbled off from the main Newtek board. Shame, it's quite fitting actaully.

prometheus
10-03-2012, 01:48 AM
The Lightwave logo stands out fine and should be keept intact, the shortcut icons could be modified in design and color to give a clear destinction on version and if 32 bit or 64 bit.

Newtek should consider redesign the Newtek logo though, forgive me for saying so, but I think it sucks, fortunatly the company itself doesn not
Something about the asymetrical oval/circle and the N in perspective that I don´t like.

But I can understand if they don´t change it since it is branded a long time a go and many folks knows what it is, Ivé been testing ideas in my head myself to try and shape a new newtek logo, but the letter
N is hard to work with sort of.

bazsa73
10-03-2012, 04:42 AM
let's speculate! just kidding, these new templates are so cool btw that I feel like in a movie

djwaterman
10-03-2012, 05:06 AM
That Newtek logo is so very old looking, and not in a good way. The name 'Newtek' is a cool word, it wouldn't be hard to create a bold graphic that looks current, pretty much just do something clever with the word, the stand alone 'N' is kind of dorky, like a Superman logo.
If they suddenly re-branded with a solid design, it would be a positive for them, giving the impression that their products are new and improved.

probiner
10-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Sure let's pitch some. A mascot wouldn't hurt and a Newt could be fit :D

No, but seriously LW logo could be turned into a creature, HR Giger style...

Anyway, there are priorities and I don't think this is one :)

lardbros
10-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Yeah, I've always hated the 'N' and Newtek Logos... not pretty at all, and VERY 80s. Still, I've seen much worse, and can forgive them for keeping it all these years. Simply moving the 'N' to be flat on would suit me better than the current form... but agree with djwaterman, something beautiful could be designed in no time.

OnlineRender
10-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Its all about the brand ,I agree about the 80s look and all that jazz but to rebrand there logo ibthink we are stepping over the helpful line lol leave it be its instantly noticeable ...personally the server and CSS issues would be my.main concern

Cryonic
10-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Sure let's pitch some. A mascot wouldn't hurt and a Newt could be fit :D

No, but seriously LW logo could be turned into a creature, HR Giger style...

Very much like the Starcraft Zerg Logo

hrgiger
10-04-2012, 10:38 AM
I think the LightWave logo is a bit too complex of a shape. Would like to see something a little cleaner and more elegant and probably more modern.

prometheus
10-04-2012, 12:19 PM
That Newtek logo is so very old looking, and not in a good way. The name 'Newtek' is a cool word, it wouldn't be hard to create a bold graphic that looks current, pretty much just do something clever with the word, the stand alone 'N' is kind of dorky, like a Superman logo.
If they suddenly re-branded with a solid design, it would be a positive for them, giving the impression that their products are new and improved.

Can agree with most of that, but I think my company´s logo are much closer to a superman logo,yet upside down:) like that has something to do with the topic ..blah:) I might even work on some daz figure and give it some hero suit and
call him, the gymleco man, just for fun ..and just maybe..maybe we can use him showing off lifting weights or doing funny stuff on youtube attracting customers to our page:)
http://www.gymleco.se/

And I agree with others stating that the concern should be fixing the forum look, and provide a css style of the old one if possible, track down the forum slowness, and search issues before thinking about logo´s

50one
10-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Think I've found the source of inspiration hehe...

fablefox
10-05-2012, 02:36 AM
Can agree with most of that, but I think my company´s logo are much closer to a superman logo,yet upside down:) like that has something to do with the topic ..blah:) I might even work on some daz figure and give it some hero suit and
call him, the gymleco man, just for fun ..and just maybe..maybe we can use him showing off lifting weights or doing funny stuff on youtube attracting customers to our page:)
http://www.gymleco.se/

And I agree with others stating that the concern should be fixing the forum look, and provide a css style of the old one if possible, track down the forum slowness, and search issues before thinking about logo´s

More like Brotherhood of Nod logo... if you color it red.

v1u1ant
10-06-2012, 02:05 AM
Ah right, i thought it was an alarm clock gone wrong.....lol.
Hmmm i hope they come up with something better, more distinct and not so wishy washy. But yea i +1 sorting forums out first.....

ianr
10-06-2012, 09:15 AM
108343http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianrcgi/8059604456/in/photostream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianrcgi/8059604456/in/photostream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianrcgi/8056930272/in/photostream

New Logo as Asked for!

A soft gigeristic Alien Logo

Acknowledgements to Leigh Bamforth, Blue Tequila & Newtek

Why should we sit under a logo that Autodesk has tried to Emulate?

Why not cut lose & use the Aboriginal logo?

Hell, it’s fun to Evolve, look @ the response to the New LW site & the New Newtek Forum?

DrStrik9
10-09-2012, 12:35 AM
I think the LightWave logo is a bit too complex of a shape. Would like to see something a little cleaner and more elegant and probably more modern.

Agreed. Less is more. Go for iconic with a dash of understatement. A logo should not attempt to be a demonstration of the product or its capabilities, but rather a conceptual representation of the product ideal. The current LW logo is more manufacturing driven than market driven. Think years out and design THAT logo, and don't change it with every release. With decent upgrades, this builds brand equity over time.

gerry_g
10-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Mmmmmm. looking into my crystal ball i see Myriad Pro and a small fruit logo in either silver or black

DrStrik9
10-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Mmmmmm. looking into my crystal ball i see Myriad Pro and a small fruit logo in either silver or black

Haha!!!

Dexter2999
10-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Can't say that I have ever been a big fan of the LW logo, or any 3D software logo for that matter.

I know it is terribly literal but I'm thinking a wave like the Hokusai wave or the Ocean Spray wave modeled to transition from something that appears to be water and transitions into something more digital. Think of the effect from TRON LEGACY where what appear to be plasma sprays harden into little squares like what I guess is supposed to be silica. But the basic idea is a clearly identifiable "wave" that transitions into something that is digital or pixelated.

But I think thoughts of a new logo should be put off until LW becomes unified. Unification will be a turning point moment and I think they will want to consider a rethinking of the branding at that point to set it apart from legacy two app. versions. Until then, rebranding what is essentially updated versions of the same program is wasted effort and only serves to either duplicate effort or lessen the impact later when unification occurs.

ianr
10-11-2012, 08:00 AM
Hi Dexter,
I love it Hokusai big wave @ Kanagawa
showing off particled instances maybe?
i'd love to see you do it in downtime &
post it up.

Dexter2999
01-26-2013, 07:00 PM

Not grand as I might have imagined. But an attempt. My skills don't do my imagination justice.
I didn't finish this. The whitecap of the wave is very labor intensive. I did want to get the idea across however.
I added the orange sun as it is something I have seen in Japanese art so semi- appropriate. It also hints at a Yin-Yang imagery I kinda liked, without being literal and hitting people over the head with it (I specifically did not center it in the negative space of the wave.)

I don't know if I will continue working on this or not.

ianr
01-27-2013, 09:00 AM
Hi Dex,
I would love that an Oriel Window in stainglass
and i would like the 'real sun' setting in it. Ah!
(somewhere in the Med)

I'll give it a try soon ASAP
[in Mandlebrot shaped logo]
if I can .

prometheus
01-27-2013, 01:30 PM
well..fun to see alternative designs, but I do prefer the old Lightwave logo really, Im more in for a clean shape design in vector style that should work well everywhere.
I would rather see Newtek design the Newtek Logo remade rather than the Lightwave Logo.
very simple shape like ILM logo is what I prefer, sometimes might not look something special, but if done right ..those are the best.

Michael