PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Bitrate streaming with TC450

541portage
09-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Hello,

I have been using my tricaster mostly for TV productions.
Now I am scheduled to do a gig that involves streaming Live.
I have never streamed with the Tricaster yet.

My client has given me a push address with 3 resolutions.. I am supposing he wants me to push in 3 formats ?
Can the tricaster do this ? I can't seem to find how to do this in the manual.

Does anyone know if this can be done ? And how would I go about this ?
I am also thinking of running tests using Livestream.com, is this a good way to test Streaming ?

Thanks in advance.

Dominique

541portage
10-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Ok so I have talked to my client and he is ok with one single bitrate format. But he wants me to push the stream to 2 different ''rtmp'' addresses.
Is this possible with the tricaster software ?
Btw, I don't have Tricaster450, I have an 850.

Koinonia
10-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Yes it's possible. Tricaster uses Adobe Media Encoder and you can stream up to 3 different bitrates and you can stream to 2 different rtmp addresses. Also your CDN must support multibitrate. I use Wowza and Amazon EC2 with JW Player for streaming.

541portage
10-02-2012, 04:05 PM
I use Wowza and Amazon EC2 with JW Player for streaming.

So you install Wowza onto your Tricaster's system Windows as well as EC2 and JW player ?
Can't it be done simply using the Tricaster Streaming Config utility ?

chrisbeaumont
10-04-2012, 03:22 AM
So you install Wowza onto your Tricaster's system Windows as well as EC2 and JW player ?
Can't it be done simply using the Tricaster Streaming Config utility ?

Did you ever figure this out?

I have the same requirement - need to live stream to multiple locations at the same time.

Lars Borg
10-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Yes where do you set it up? in the Tricaster or the FMLE?

541portage
10-04-2012, 03:56 PM
I am told that Tricaster uses FMLE codecs already and so it is useless to install FMLE directly onto the Tricaster's Windows OS. And Tricaster is specific to say that you should not install other software onto the OS since it may affect system stability. (Not sure about this, maybe someone has installed FMLE onto their Tricaster's Windows OS and is doing just that??)
Currently I am trying to re-write the .XML file at the c:/tricaster/streamlive/ntsc/16:9 location to have my client's format request. ( He wants 25 fps H.264 etc..) and within that .XML setting I am trying to code 2 push addresses.
I have been unable to make it work. I think it would work if both push addresses had the same filename and user/password, but my client's doesn't.
So that's where I am right now.. not much farther ahead.
Looks like I may be pushing to 1 location only with 1 format only.

chrisbeaumont
10-08-2012, 03:35 AM
I am told that Tricaster uses FMLE codecs already and so it is useless to install FMLE directly onto the Tricaster's Windows OS. And Tricaster is specific to say that you should not install other software onto the OS since it may affect system stability. (Not sure about this, maybe someone has installed FMLE onto their Tricaster's Windows OS and is doing just that??)
Currently I am trying to re-write the .XML file at the c:/tricaster/streamlive/ntsc/16:9 location to have my client's format request. ( He wants 25 fps H.264 etc..) and within that .XML setting I am trying to code 2 push addresses.
I have been unable to make it work. I think it would work if both push addresses had the same filename and user/password, but my client's doesn't.
So that's where I am right now.. not much farther ahead.
Looks like I may be pushing to 1 location only with 1 format only.

Adobe FMLE is installed on the Windows OS as part of the TriCaster installation. You can open up the default TriCaster streaming profiles, edit them in FMLE (to add multiple bitrates for example), then save them and use them in the TriCaster streaming window.

I don't know of a way to push to multiple stream locations though. If you figure something out, let me know.

Lars Borg
10-08-2012, 03:43 AM
Yes this is what we are looking for to have multiple bitrates...but is it there a difference in capacity if you set it to use several bitrates?

adebats
10-08-2012, 04:58 AM
Nice to see european growth with the tricasters :)

Yes the bitrate thing works but I have never seen >1 address for a backup location. Koinonia - can you expand ?

chrisbeaumont
10-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Yes this is what we are looking for to have multiple bitrates...but is it there a difference in capacity if you set it to use several bitrates?

Depends what you mean by 'capacity'.

If you mean encoding, you'll have to do some tests to see if the machine can handle the extra encoding work, but I imagine it will be OK.

If you mean network bandwidth, you'll definitely need extra bandwidth to transmit multiple bitrates.

chrisbeaumont
10-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Nice to see european growth with the tricasters :)

Yes the bitrate thing works but I have never seen >1 address for a backup location. Koinonia - can you expand ?

Apparently you can just open a second FMLE instance and that will enable you to put two live streams out, but it's obviously quite a flawed model when working with a TriCaster, and I don't know if the TriCaster would be able to handle it on top of everything else it's doing.

adebats
10-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Thats' certainly not the case with XD models - there is only a single button to click stream and there is no more Alt/Tab back to window... shame that really :) - the older Studio/Broadcast may be possible (but I could not check now I've upgraded our last one).

SBowie
10-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Even if it were possible, I suspect that running multiple instances of FMLE would be asking for trouble.

Red Dog Records
10-08-2012, 09:25 PM
We use FMLE to broadcast the same bitrate to multiple RMTP addresses. Although as I am thinking about it you should be able to stream to two addresses with two bitrates.
If you set everything up in FMLE, you should be able to simply import those settings into your Tricaster.
We have a 455, but have never used it for streaming as we sometimes have to broadcast to up to three different resolutions/bitrates to three different servers. Sometimes even using FLASH and Windows Media at the same time.

If I wanted to do it on the tricaster, I would set up my FMLE profile like this:

Here you are telling FMLE to broadcast at 2 different resolutions and bit-rates.
By using the "%i" in the stream name, it will add a "1" or "2" to represent each stream. So if you pointed a player to watch "streamname1" it would play the 768x432 stream at 1M.
We use the back-up server info to send the identical streams to a different server.

We have used this process for over a year broadcasting at one bitrate, but there is no reason you couldn't use this same process to broadcast to two different locations and two or three different bit-rates.

Just be sure to do the math and make sure ou have enough upload speed!

Also, check your hosting plan before you start broadcasting 8+ hour meetings at multiple bit-rates to multiple servers!

I hope this helps someone out there!

Andrew

reddogrecords.com

Lars Borg
10-09-2012, 03:31 AM
Different bitrates should not the FMLE menu have ticks for "Auto adjust" and "degrade Quality" or is it upto the end users browser to evaluate the most efficient bitrate?

This has of course nothing to do with the fact you talk about broadcasting to different servers, it should be used even if you send to one server location.

Red Dog Records
10-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Lars,

If you broadcast at different bit rates, FMLE will not allow you to check either the 'Auto Adjust' or 'Degrade Quality'.

Ideally, you would use your player (we use the JWPlayer) to automatically figure out what bandwidth to choose.

Andrew

Lars Borg
10-10-2012, 01:35 AM
Understod....we use it as well:) will check the code to see what kind of settings it needs to talk to the FMLE server.