PDA

View Full Version : Add a complete compatibility of scene and obj between mac and pc

madrenderman
10-29-2003, 07:03 PM
we are tired to have problem with lw under pc and mac.
we work under a mix lan with mac and pc computer, and file of scene have not a complete compatibility, if you add many obj, over 200, if you have plug like g2 (which we have for pc and mac) if we simple save a scene under mac or under win, we must open and save again from platform, if i pass directly to screamernet often it lost something....

please did a scene like a binary file, which avoid a lot of error like cr during unix to (bleah) windows system

if someone want to edit it manually you can add the ability of lscript editor to open it like simple text.

i read and know this problem from old 3.5 amiga version, please use modern choise of develope!

many plugin (lw plugin, not free or commercial plugin) lost their parameters, or lost directly the plugin (like some motion plugin)
during a loading of scene produced on win computer in a mac computer or in the inverse situation.
god is not possible!!!

BeeVee
11-03-2003, 02:37 AM
Don't mix platforms for renders - not even AMD/Intel, let alone PC and Mac. The problem is that each of the CPUs will do the maths needed slightly differently and you'll get subtly varying results - whether it be in the colours, dithers, reflections, whatever. Stick to one sort of processor for distributed rendering - I would like it if Screamernet complained if you had more than one sort of processor, rather than making it easier to work across platforms! :)

B

rschulze
11-16-2003, 01:11 AM
great try but I couldn't understand the question.

Bernie
11-23-2003, 06:01 PM
In response to BeeVee.. How is it that the same C coded and ported renderer will cause difference in the final Image. I dont buy it. they math they do should be identical .. and it is the math that creates the images .. its all just math .. for me math is the same in all languages. and if you Port the same programing code from one platform Unix to Microsoft or vice versa whats the diff.

I use both OSX (apple) and Windows XP about equally.. with lightwave and i have had no difference in image quality.. Where images will be different is when i use plugins that may not exist properly on the OSX platform. And when i create scenes i will transfer I dont use plugins i know will not work. I then have to finish on the platform that has the proper workingplugin. I dont have G2 so I dont know about that one.

I do find the Mac version screemernet far more buggy than the PC version infact It does not work most of the time. SO i always bring over scenes to the PC side of the network to render besides the intel chips are so cheep these days you can set up a small render farm for so little.. And all the computers do is curn numbers so they dont need fancy video cards only memory and CPU..and network card. a small HD etc.. As a developer machine I love the Macintosh OS X far more than Windows XP .. and my files are safe from viruses (so far) .. even with my 2 antivrus programs now running on the PC constantly my IS team only caught the sobig ourmachine after using SNORT on the OSX machine. Macs saved our Windows network.

nuf of that .. But i am all for better integration between the different platform versions of LW .. I would agree that there should be some sort of "package"to save our scene files into to send to render. and save for transport.. today we dont have the memory limits of the past we can easily handle 1 gig files .. which would have all scenes objects and images even plugins for transport across platform and for me most importantly for archiveing and sending to render farms .

geoff3dnz
11-23-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Bernie
...How is it that the same C coded and ported renderer will cause difference in the final Image. I dont buy it. they math they do should be identical ... I can't answer your question as to why, but I do know that lots of software developers say not to distribute rendering across different platforms. Different processors can and do render differently. Eyeon (makers of Digital Fusion) have even said that it's not a good idea to render across different versions of Windows. (That, by the way, was due to the way their code accessed windows fonts, which has now been changed to be OS independent.)

luciano
11-24-2003, 05:18 AM
Carlo cosa diavolo successo sei scomparso fatti sentire?

Luciano

mrunion
11-24-2003, 07:35 AM
Bernie:

The code is simply the "instructions" to do the math. The processors actually PERFORM the math. It is *possible* to get different results from different processors/platforms.

I'm not saying "2 * 2" gives 4 on a MAC and 5 on Intel, but there could be subtle differences in the bits.

Karmacop
11-24-2003, 07:42 AM
I think it's mainly to do with the floating point precision that causes differences. Especialyl when using 3dNow, SSE, SSE2, Altivec etc it can cause some differences.

rschulze
11-24-2003, 09:41 AM
Aside from hardware issues, I find it frustrating that Lightwave's and Maya's Obj files are not compatable, at least on a Mac. The Maya version looks for an ascii file describing xyz coordinates for each vertice. Lightwave's OBJ format for the Mac doesn't do this. It seems like it would be a simple file to create but I am not a programmer.