PDA

View Full Version : Instancing advice

Simon-S
09-27-2012, 04:31 AM
Hi,

I have a scene containing a hill side littered with instanced rocks. I need these rocks to randomly fall out of the sky so I am wondering if there is a way to animate the main instanced rock, then offset the start frame of the instances, so they don't fall at the same time?

Is this possible?

Cheers.

chco2
09-29-2012, 04:51 AM
Don't know how many rocks you have, but why not use a particle emitter and hardlink the rocks to the emitter ?

dwburman
10-01-2012, 12:27 PM
If you just need to move the rocks, there are a number of ways to do it.

You could use particles as the instancer (apply the Instance Generator to the emitter and set the instancing type to Particle). Whatever objects you are instancing (the rock in your case) will follow the particle motion.

You could animate the displacement of a mesh (hidden from camera, shadows and raytracing) and use that as the instancer (set the instance type to polygon, point or vertex, or surface) so your rocks would follow that geometry.

You could also start with whatever setup you have now and animate the Y offset with a texture or node set up. I'm thinking a distance to object gradient would work for your task.

You don't need to animate the rock when you can animate the instance positions.

Simon-S
10-01-2012, 05:27 PM
If you just need to move the rocks, there are a number of ways to do it.

You could use particles as the instancer (apply the Instance Generator to the emitter and set the instancing type to Particle). Whatever objects you are instancing (the rock in your case) will follow the particle motion.

You could animate the displacement of a mesh (hidden from camera, shadows and raytracing) and use that as the instancer (set the instance type to polygon, point or vertex, or surface) so your rocks would follow that geometry.

You could also start with whatever setup you have now and animate the Y offset with a texture or node set up. I'm thinking a distance to object gradient would work for your task.

You don't need to animate the rock when you can animate the instance positions.

Awesome...I'll give that a go. Thanks.

jeric_synergy
10-01-2012, 06:03 PM
you could aslo use START BY COLLISION to use a null to orchestrate the rocks falling: they won't start until touched by the null.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfB8URn24k4&list=UU0tBW-b_kzdk-k08Sny1k2w&index=24&feature=plcp