PDA

View Full Version : SmoothScale in 2 dimensions only?

AbstractTech3D
09-26-2012, 04:48 AM
Hi There

Is it possible to perform a smoothscale operation on 2 dimensions only in Modeler somehow?

Thanks!

probiner
09-26-2012, 05:21 AM
Images with arrows my friend :)

Smooth Scale operates on vertices' normals, so it's hard to understand your 2 dimensions goal. Maybe Smooth Scale is not what you want.

If it helps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlfLwqJkE90

Cheers

AbstractTech3D
09-26-2012, 05:30 AM
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129640-Nodal-Smooth-Scale-deformation

Trying to get a string of beveled 3D text to fit cleanly inside another. Perhaps if I can not have it scale in Z it might help.?

Sorry for 2 threads on this…
(I've been having major problems viewing and posting on these forums since the upgrade right up until now. I'll post - the system will hang - I assumed the post failed - repost - … then find 2 posts worked! Though often can't access to view the forums at all.)

probiner
09-26-2012, 05:37 AM
check the video I've posted.
If you want to keep polygons' normals, you should be asking for Polygons' Offset in Layout then, because Smooth Scale messes them up since it operates on uses Vertices' Normals.

Cheers

AbstractTech3D
09-26-2012, 05:41 AM
Thanks Probiner

AbstractTech3D
09-26-2012, 07:01 AM
Ok, so MultiShift with Contours on this complex geometry is still giving me really messy results.

In Layout I could reduce each polygon to 90% original size using DP Kit nodal displacement tools. But obviously each polygon would also need to be moved along its normal an appropriate distance to 'shrink' them together… I don't know how to work that out.

Help welcome!

Thanks!

RebelHill
09-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Move plus tool in modeler (with r-click) will move the polys along their normals.

probiner
09-26-2012, 08:19 AM
If the mess is due to Multishift bug then and no one comes out with a way to do it with Spot Info Node, try this:
- If your object is composed, save the mesh you want to do the Offset on in a separate file. Open it in Wings3D and to the same, select all polygons (CTRL+A in polygon mode), then click on the inset polygon so it is unselected and the Extrude can work. Do this for each connect geometry (letter). Right-Click and select "Extrude", then select "Normal" and drag the mouse to the wanted result.
- Export an LWO and open it in Modeler. Select all the vertices that got left from the Extrude, and Dissolve.
- Now you got the same mesh, but thinner. You need to have a Morph to pick it up. Since they have different point orders, you need to make them equal. (Warning this will destroy any UV). For each letter select 2 polygons and run Mesh Rekniter (http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=f4323d66). Repeat the same process selecting the same polygons in respective letter to the normal sized object.
- Now both meshes have same point order, put the thinner in the background, the normal in the foreground and run "Bkg to Morph".

Now you got a morph you can play with in Layout.

Move plus tool in modeler (with r-click) will move the polys along their normals.
I'm afraid not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlfLwqJkE90&t=1m08s

Move Plus right click moves on vertices' normals. It's deceiving because it only averages the vertex normal if the neighbor polygons are also selected. So in selection's border the vertex normal gets cut off from the neighbors, matching the selected polygon normal.

Practical example
Make a cube, select only one polygon and use it. Now select two neighbour polygons and use it. The shared vertices get averaged and your polygon's normal screwed.

Comparative sheet made for other thread
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/animatics/Lightwave/Inflate-Object.png

Cheers

AbstractTech3D
09-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks Probiner

What a process is needed!

It seems to me that the LW tools in this area have a lot of further room to develop.

That - and coupled with the limited text tools.

Oh how I REALLY wish for non-destructive text tools capable of generating varying mesh complexity (and clean), multiple layers of CLEAN and successful bevelling (and in a consistent direction), with OGL polygons included, and also new texture layers for each bevel component - and this offered within both Modeler and Layout - Layout so that the text strings can be changed inside that context - automated even to change within a sequence playback, and multiple layers of bevelling and extrusion independently animated. Even better: nodal - with a node capable of reading and feeding new strings into my hypothetical text generation node… which itself feeds into a Mograph node setup / DP Kit displacement setup, and even also into a hypothetical lattice deform node!

With the current success of C4D, and its well recognised strength and ease in 3D text animation being a significant part of that (its the first thing a broadcast C4D artist mentioned to me the other day as to why he uses C4D over Maya) - I can't understand why development in this area isn't a priority for NT…
...low hanging fruit?